• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

andy3

I would double , no triple the moderators salaries. All kidding aside, I want to tank you all for your dedication to furthering the hobby.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SwBradley with all due respect. We all understand what Cris as owner wants but also as paying members should we not be heard.
Maybe we should schedule a chat night with Cris the owner.
So we the paying members can voice what we would like.
I love this site and enjoy it very much I am on every time I get the chance.
But as you have beat in our brains your mods . I know Cris maybe a busy guy but the one change I would like to see is the owner participate a little more .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris is heavily involved in his business (which has greatly expanded opening up more clinics and offices). And now with his political carrier at hand, it's a lot for anyone to have on their plate. I talk and email with him frequently. Even I sometimes have trouble reaching him at times. Due to that, I've been given the reigns when it comes to the site for the most part. (I don't deal with the trademark, his money, exc.) But I can say absolutely that his position on political talk wouldn't change. I actually had a lengthy discussion about his campaigning on the site wasn't a wise move. So, please understand I'm not afraid to speak frankly about any topics with him.

That's the reasoning for this thread. To allow some feedback from the community. So outside of political discussions, I'm here to take suggestions and see what I can improve for you guys.

ke5eua

Chris is heavily involved in his business (which has greatly expanded opening up more clinics and offices). And now with his political carrier at hand, it's a lot for anyone to have on their plate. I talk and email with him frequently. Even I sometimes have trouble reaching him at times. Due to that, I've been given the reigns when it comes to the site for the most part. (I don't deal with the trademark, his money, exc.) But I can say absolutely that his position on political talk wouldn't change. I actually had a lengthy discussion about his campaigning on the site wasn't a wise move. So, please understand I'm not afraid to speak frankly about any topics with him.

That's the reasoning for this thread. To allow some feedback from the community. So outside of political discussions, I'm here to take suggestions and see what I can improve for you guys.
District 35 Chris?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew I can understand that and I am fine with it. So when we are having a open discussion with you it's as if we are talking with Cris.
So I respectfully request that we talk to you and other mods let you deal with your thread.
To be totally honest the comment Swbradly made was out of hand .
You asked we answered and YOU replied.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would combine some of the armor/tracked vehicle forums and start a boat forum and a railroad forum.:) I love me some tracked vehicles and I dig Strykers maybe a little more than the next guy, but nobody owns a Stryker, Bradley or M1. I have always been mystified why Bradleys are not combined in the Heavy (modern) Armor forum.

I'd be happy to help with the TM section.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drew I can understand that and I am fine with it. So when we are having a open discussion with you it's as if we are talking with Cris.
So I respectfully request that we talk to you and other mods let you deal with your thread.
To be totally honest the comment Swbradly made was out of hand .
You asked we answered and YOU replied.
Yes, for the most part when you ask me, it's as though you're asking Chris. (Again, I can make operational changes, but I divert to Chris when it gets into the trademark, anything money related, exc.)

The mods are members too, they just have to work for the site as well. So their concerns are valid in my search to correct/improve things.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one thing that I find annoying is being not being able to go back to view older posts than 'one day' or being restricted to 'new posts' when I've been away for a number of days (IE, GA Rally, my St. Stanislas Charity trips which can last two weeks). Selecting the 'new posts' and there are 30 pages of them, guarantees that I will never see 90 percent of them, because I will time out even though the 'remember me' is set on. Those posts are 'lost' to me, and I might have been able to contribute a correct answer (well, anything is possible). I realize the software base has changed, but a separate drop down for 'all posts' or 'all threads' which would start at the most current and go back (all the way to the very first post on the site) as far as someone has the fortitude and time to delve. This would be like looking at all threads in a particular forum, but it would be over all forums at the same time and not limited to the specific forum an individual was in at the time. As far as I use the site, everything else seems to be fine!

glassk

The one thing that I find annoying is being not being able to go back to view older posts than 'one day' or being restricted to 'new posts' when I've been away for a number of days (IE, GA Rally, my St. Stanislas Charity trips which can last two weeks). Selecting the 'new posts' and there are 30 pages of them, guarantees that I will never see 90 percent of them, because I will time out even though the 'remember me' is set on. Those posts are 'lost' to me, and I might have been able to contribute a correct answer (well, anything is possible). I realize the software base has changed, but a separate drop down for 'all posts' or 'all threads' which would start at the most current and go back (all the way to the very first post on the site) as far as someone has the fortitude and time to delve. This would be like looking at all threads in a particular forum, but it would be over all forums at the same time and not limited to the specific forum an individual was in at the time. As far as I use the site, everything else seems to be fine!

May not be what you are looking for but try the activity stream button and select filter

Attachments

3dAngus

OK, I really don't want to read all these pages. I read two. If this is a repeat, just delete it.

ON pictures. The old version allowed multiple picture downloads simultaneously. The newer version allows one at a time. The newer version automatically downsizes the picture if it is to big, which is a plus. If the pictures could be downloaded simultaneously up to ten, and put in a local queue where they could be downsized as appropriate, then uploaded to the site, this would be a big help and make life so much easier and faster for all who want to load more then one picture. Not sure if that can be done with the present version. Might require local rewriting of code. If you have a contractor for support, they should be able to rewrite the code to accept the batch job.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I really don't want to read all these pages. I read two. If this is a repeat, just delete it.

ON pictures. The old version allowed multiple picture downloads simultaneously. The newer version allows one at a time. The newer version automatically downsizes the picture if it is to big, which is a plus. If the pictures could be downloaded simultaneously up to ten, and put in a local queue where they could be downsized as appropriate, then uploaded to the site, this would be a big help and make life so much easier and faster for all who want to load more then one picture. Not sure if that can be done with the present version. Might require local rewriting of code. If you have a contractor for support, they should be able to rewrite the code to accept the batch job.
Unfortunately we're screwed on that. vBulletin didn't do the coding on it. Yahoo did. An exploit was found allowing the uploaded to be compromised by hackers. Yahoo basically said, we're done with supporting the YUI. And vBulletin left the users the choice of remove it and use the default painful one at a time loader they have and be secure. Or keep running Yahoo's compromised uploader and risk your site.

I had to choose the safety of the site over the risk. Sorry. :(

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Combine the Heavy Armor and Armored vehicles into one forum. Also combine several of the non-US vehicles forums. This would allow us to open the 5 Ton forums and RV's etc without creating a larger number of them. There's no point in having all these forums with 30-40 posts when we could create forums that would have a lot of interest.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'd like to see the Vendor's forum moved into the classifieds section. There isn't a lot going on in there, so it doesn't show up on the Today's Posts list very often, and also doesn't show up at all when a user clicks on the classifieds tab at the top of every page. I think because of this a lot of people forget to check the vendor's forum when looking for parts.

ke5eua

I'd like to see the Vendor's forum moved into the classifieds section. There isn't a lot going on in there, so it doesn't show up on the Today's Posts list very often, and also doesn't show up at all when a user clicks on the classifieds tab at the top of every page. I think because of this a lot of people forget to check the vendor's forum when looking for parts.
Didn't even know. I thought everything was under classifieds.

Learn something new.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make the no comments in the classifieds an option when you create the thread because some people like and hate that feature.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make the no comments in the classifieds an option when you create the thread because some people like and hate that feature.
The no comments in the classifieds does have some drawbacks but I will say this, that single feature has done more to help us mods keep the classifieds under control than anything that has ever been done. I say leave the classifieds with no comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks