• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eliminate replies in the "want ads" as just like with the for sale ads many of them turn into chat threads and go unmaintained. It has also became a way for non-premium members to post there ads without being a premium member .

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eliminate replies in the "want ads" as just like with the for sale ads many of them turn into chat threads and go unmaintained. It has also became a way for non-premium members to post there ads without being a premium member .
Without replies in the want ads, I think we would miss out on sources and tips on finding parts. I know I have benefitted from replies to someone else's search for parts.

iatractor

Since my thought of a political forum is a no-go, how about a library/reference forum or sub-section of the tech manual portion? Reasoning: Tech manuals hold a lot of material for our vehicles, but sometimes they aren't the most user friendly books. There have been countless books written over the years about our trucks, and prior to the internet, that is all some of the early collector had as a guide. Many were quite helpful to those that didn't have access to a TM, or just needed steered in the right direction. To keep dead links from happening, we would only have people post about physical books/articles/manuals. Perhaps direct them to where you got your or places to search that may have the out-of-print copies.

ke5eua

Since my thought of a political forum is a no-go, how about a library/reference forum or sub-section of the tech manual portion? Reasoning: Tech manuals hold a lot of material for our vehicles, but sometimes they aren't the most user friendly books. There have been countless books written over the years about our trucks, and prior to the internet, that is all some of the early collector had as a guide. Many were quite helpful to those that didn't have access to a TM, or just needed steered in the right direction. To keep dead links from happening, we would only have people post about physical books/articles/manuals. Perhaps direct them to where you got your or places to search that may have the out-of-print copies.
We have a wiki that I believe is supposed to be used just for this but not to many topics in it.

I second this though. Tms are great but when I went to ait the instructor taught is the way to do it, then they way the tm said to do it, can you guess which one was a better way.

stampy

How about a master list for each truck/ genset with all major wear parts part numbers and cross ref # It would save loads of time going through threads and even the stickys. It could be easily printed and kept in your truck just in case.

stampy

Oh and NOT to beat a dead horse but I agree with Chris's view on politics (even though any of you who know me probably know which side of the fence I am on). Part of what I love about this site is, it's not divided by partisan crap (except for using CUCV's a wheel chocks...but that's just funny...IDC who you are) I don't need some other political site to link to a Steel Soldiers page in reference to how we are all Marxists or how we are all right wing extremists because we choose to own and drive military trucks. Keep the hobby what it is. Keep SS out of the political fray. This is THE site I come to to relax and clear my head from the DAILY political battles out there. Thanks for that!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe the comments will remain out for the for sale ads and in for the want ads. (It makes sense, given the original reasoning behind the change) As far as WIKI stuff goes. If ANYONE want to work on a wiki, please let me know!

Artisan

Regarding the TM section.

I "think" the gent whom owns liberatedmanuals.com is a member here,
"maybe" he has some input or would like to do some deeds ? :)

That guy deserves a medal in my book. Sec_Transportation_Outstanding_Achievement_Medal_ribbon.PNG

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auto delete of trash folder in pm box after 30 days.

Auto delete of messages 180 days or older in sent and inbox.

This would help keep the box is full headache.

Trash yes, inbox no. I have messages and phone numbers from years ago in my inbox. ;-)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Auto delete of trash folder in pm box after 30 days.

Auto delete of messages 180 days or older in sent and inbox.

This would help keep the box is full headache.
I would assume you have a folder you've made as "trash" since it's not a default. I believe I can specify the system to clean older PM's across the board, but it wouldn't know what to keep or toss as swbradley pointed out.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the comments will remain out for the for sale ads and in for the want ads. (It makes sense, given the original reasoning behind the change) As far as WIKI stuff goes. If ANYONE want to work on a wiki, please let me know!
I want to work on a Wiki and we tried to setup but I never got it to work :(

ke5eua

I would assume you have a folder you've made as "trash" since it's not a default. I believe I can specify the system to clean older PM's across the board, but it wouldn't know what to keep or toss as swbradley pointed out.
So no trash, didn't realize it, oversight on my part.

What about being able to flag certain messages, or in cases where you don't want items deleted, make a separate folder and move the things you don't want deleted to that folder.

Just brainstorming here. I know I have tried to pm some people and get the box is full message and if it is regarding a classified item I just give up on it.

BTW, I pm'd you Saturday, don't know if you had a chance to read it or not.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So no trash, didn't realize it, oversight on my part.

What about being able to flag certain messages, or in cases where you don't want items deleted, make a separate folder and move the things you don't want deleted to that folder.

Just brainstorming here. I know I have tried to pm some people and get the box is full message and if it is regarding a classified item I just give up on it.

BTW, I pm'd you Saturday, don't know if you had a chance to read it or not.
You can create other folders, but they will still count to the PM count. It might be a good in service to show people how to make an important folder. Then move anything to "keep" in it. Then just get in the mindset of deleting things at one time that are left in the inbox. But that's more of a behavior modification.

M920

So I join the M915 to M920 forum "movement".....

My vote would be to give the M915 Series of trucks their own
area and remove them from the overloaded 5TON area.

Soni

61sleepercab

I would like to remove the death sentence people get when they as for information about a subject when they are told that the TMs are the Holy Grail of information. The TM are obtuse over wordy encyclopedias that are not easy to understand or apply. Some times some one who has been there done that has insight beyond any book. Mark

Vintage iron

I have put a lot of thought into the M915 movement. I work on these military trucks for a living. I own a TM for each kind of military trucks and just like the TMs. The M915,M916 and M920 should have their own section in the forum. I know there is a small group of owners out there, but an M35 has more in common with a M54 then a M915 has with a M813. The M915, M916 and M920 are there own animals.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to remove the death sentence people get when they as for information about a subject when they are told that the TMs are the Holy Grail of information. The TM are obtuse over wordy encyclopedias that are not easy to understand or apply.
I would disagree and say that a TM is written for a 18 year old high school drop out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought on TMs not as a moderator but as a member. Perhaps we would better serve our fellow man if we guided them to the right TM and what to look for. I say this in regards to the -20 and -30 manuals. I do not think anyone on this site should be exempt from reading and knowing the -10. Every excuse is BS. If you own the truck you should look at the owners manual. The "I'm to busy or it's poorly written" excuse is just ignorant. That is the one manual every owner should have to read. We would be doing a disservice to the hobby if we didn't push folks to read the -10.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've discussed this topic in the staff forum a bit. Let me expand upon it. I think in the future, and it'd be great if EVERYONE did this, would be to actually provide a link to the TM in question with details on what the user needs instead of just "read the TM" responses.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks