• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

andy3

How about a site master calendar? Events can be listed and linked off of. Inside the event you could link out to the info page, buy sell trade page, RSVP etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've discussed this topic in the staff forum a bit. Let me expand upon it. I think in the future, and it'd be great if EVERYONE did this, would be to actually provide a link to the TM in question with details on what the user needs instead of just "read the TM" responses.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Do we have to open the TM to link it? I keep all my TMs saved locally. With my deep woods internet connection, opening TMs from the site is time consuming?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a site master calendar? Events can be listed and linked off of. Inside the event you could link out to the info page, buy sell trade page, RSVP etc.

If you look, even the SSGR14 is listed.

(Because I just put it up there.......) ;-)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can we put the calendar on the main top tool bar? I just added the Gainesville GA Touch a Truck, waiting on Mod Approval :)
It's already there if you're browsing the forum. Or click on the forum button up top. The calendar link is on the second bar.

aczlan

If I were to make one change, I would create one section all by itself for political discussion. It would be limited to just that, political discussion. Any advocation of violence or the like would be grounds for banning. It would cut down on all the frustration and snide remarks in threads where they need not be, and would cut down on people breaking the no politics rule in threads where they shouldn't be and getting them banned and ruining the mood of the thread. If people don't want to discuss the politics they simply can not take part. Nobody would make them click on the politics section.
I would say no on the politics side of things, I am on Tractorbynet and since the politics forum was opened up (you have to "opt in" to see it), the bad feelings from inside politics have permeated the whole forum... It hasn't been everyone in there but probbaly 10% of the users continue their disagreements outside of the politics forum.

Unfortunately we're screwed on that. vBulletin didn't do the coding on it. Yahoo did. An exploit was found allowing the uploaded to be compromised by hackers. Yahoo basically said, we're done with supporting the YUI. And vBulletin left the users the choice of remove it and use the default painful one at a time loader they have and be secure. Or keep running Yahoo's compromised uploader and risk your site.
I had to choose the safety of the site over the risk. Sorry. :(
On Tractorbynet, they were able to modify the basic uploader to allow multiple files to be selected and uploaded.
Not sure what exactly was changed, but I could look into it if you wanted.

Aaron Z

Last edited:

cobra5

There are several other MV sites out there other than SS and I'm a member of these other sites as well as here. What do you think about a resource tab? In this tab you can link to other MV sites and even vendor sites. People seem to be doing this in the forum when people ask about parts and information.
One observation I'd like to make is that members here are banned for discussing auctions, which doesn't bother me in the least. However, isn't this site violating its own policy by posting ads from GL that clearly show upcoming auctions?

zout

I would like to see a better way to load pictures like the older system did - I would say its a pain in the butt downloading but I won't, so I have resorted to taking less of them (ahhh maybe !) but I know I have to adjust my working on stuff at the end of the night because its going to take me X amount of more time to add them.

Or just break my camera again for a while so I forget about it:naner:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several other MV sites out there other than SS and I'm a member of these other sites as well as here. What do you think about a resource tab? In this tab you can link to other MV sites and even vendor sites. People seem to be doing this in the forum when people ask about parts and information.
One observation I'd like to make is that members here are banned for discussing auctions, which doesn't bother me in the least. However, isn't this site violating its own policy by posting ads from GL that clearly show upcoming auctions?
patracy will be along shortly to explain the business/collusion side of this advertisement vs mentioning auctions. What I would really like to address is the statement that members here are banned for discussing auctions. Statements like this are far from the truth and do nothing but fuel the hater (1%) crowd. We have an infraction/warning system in place so that we can track these things. If a member discusses and auction and we find it or it is reported, we review his profile. If he has never had a warning for such an incident, he will receive and official warning. If the member continues to do such he will receive an infraction. The infractions accumulate points and after so many points, the system will ban them. Initially it bans for a day but increases from there. You have to do quite a bit of rule torqueing to get banned for posting auction info.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers is a company of it's own. The reasoning behind the no auctions links is due to a lawsuit a few years back when it came to military equipment. The business of Steel Soldiers LLC decided best to avoid any risk of collusion by barring any discussion of upcoming or current auctions across the board. This is the owner's decision. I can't fault him in any way for protecting himself. Other than that, Kenny summed up how things are handled in real life. I'll admit, the yellow banner about "you will be banned" is a tad misleading. As it would take a few instances to be banned. But it's there in the hopes that it'll prevent people from posting up links.

Oros35

I have to admit I didn't read everything here, but I did see a couple of posts that have the same thing I was thinking.

In another forum I'm a member of, we have an 'opt-in' section. Anything goes. When you agree to have that section visible for you to view, you also agree that (nearly) anything goes. Nearly meaning keep it legal, but feel free to discuss sensitive topics and other offensive discussions are possible.
It works very well.

KaiserM109

The flippin' timeout!!

Other than that, you guys run a great forum, thanks. I can't use the 'Remember Me' box on my computer at work and I like to check things over my lunch hour.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks