• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty, Recovry and Panzerwillie's Wrecker Builds

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that sounds like my Nomar wrecker bed on the Chevy C60. All mechanical, PTO drives a chain sprocket through a drive shaft connected to the winch. The winch is controlled through mechanical linkage at the rear of the bed, ether in or out. The booms are raised or lowered through a mechanical winch. Nothing like a 10K winch driven from a Chevy 350. Does it bog down, no lifted a deuce with no problem. It looks like Kenny is going with hydraulic power for lift and winch.

nyoffroad

She is going to stay with the 6.2. This unit is the Ranger III made by Advance Adapters. Looking forward to seeing how it behaves. 27% OD.
I have the same thing (I think) I picked it up from a tranny shop that closed and the customer never came back for it! Some one in the past converted the shifter to an electric motor with limit switches so after a shift it auto shuts the motor off.
Some day soon (I hope) to actually drive it more than up and down my street!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Ranger was originally built by Warner Gear and they were cast iron. AA picked up the line and has done improvements on them over the years. IIRC they use T98 synchros and such. Another one was the Double Torque 2XT. Again, nearly identical and perhaps it was Warner Gears box. It had an electric shift motor from the factory. The extra rotating mass makes shifting just a little more work and double clutching helps. For a CUCV I think it will be a good compromise. the 2-3 shift of the SM465 has a pretty big gap and having a gear in between that hole helps as does OD. For those familiar with driving the SM465 and needing to take off in granny knows that whatever momentum you build in that gear is almost lost before the gear change happens. Granny over can fill that gap as well. Should be an interesting driver for sure.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you have it all figured out Kenny and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep the pictures coming.

Don't overdo it in the heat; my brother-in-law spent three days in the hospital a couple of weeks ago after overdoing it in high 90 degree temps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much to add today. Here is the shifter I'm using with the NP205. I installed new rails that allow the twin stick features. http://jb-custom-fabrication.myshop...of-cable-shifter-double-gm-np-205-buggy-style
Each shifter basically controls a drive axles range. You have L-N-H for each axle. Interlock pins prevent engaging the axles in different ranges. Now I don't plan on too much off road recovery with this truck and having the gears and SM465, it has nearly 60-1 crawl ratio. For some reason I just can't stop looking at the LOMAX 3-1 case. http://www.jbconversions.com/products/lomax205/completecase.php There are better places to spend nearly $3000 but I just can't stop looking at it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck Brett. We may have to add another name to the title shortly . Seems anothe CUCV wrecker may be on the horizon.

panzerwillie

Thank you Kenney

Well Kenny with this thread send me back to my early 20's which i drove from a Holmes 440 to a Holmes 750 so i thought why not build one using a cucv truck so i starter the hunt for a wrecker body.
Starter on Craigslist and found 4 with in 250 mile radius , the first 2 even do the listing was 1 moth to 2 moth old where sold the day before i call the third one was a few hours old but was sold as i was trying to seal the deal whats up is are old wrecker bodys that demanding so move to the 4th one even do was a running truck and good prize it was a Holmes 400 and i really had my mind set on a 440 at least, so starter looking again and found a complete truck listed under chevy truck not wrecker which was a 440 with a wheel lift.
the truck is ruff but runs and the wrecker works but the wheel lift leaks so will fix that in the future for now got the pedals bell housing and a pretty good wrecker body, also pick up a SM465 32 spline with a NP208 flange that Kenny refer me so now i am in the hunt for a M1028 there is one here in the SS for sale but after a few PM's have not heard back from the seller even do he updated the listing 8/5/14 will see for now will start working on the wrecker body and wheel lift. thank you Kenny for all the help and guides :D
20140809_113621.jpg20140809_111102.jpg20140809_190012.jpg20140809_190018.jpg20140809_113701.jpg20140809_190027.jpg20140809_113640.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, a little about your new toy. It certainly is a Holmes 440 but it's the latest version, the Hi-Power. This was the bed and boom on the worlds fastest wrecker. The bed itself was one of the best looking ones (my opinion) Holmes ever made. It's a Holmes Sonic low side. The same bed was also made with high sides which mine had before the previous owner and rust destroyed them. The one thing I can't tell you about is the wheel lift. Likely a Century unit. The bed look exquisite and should make a wonderful truck unless it ends up missing (and on my truck).

panzerwillie

Thanks Kenny, a lot of work ahead but looking forward to completing it. The M1028 dually version will give me the front end that I need and will be using the wrecker rear which I will install the locker with 456, but can always use a 1008 as well of a 1031 and do the adapter for the front wheels. I need to take lots of measurements and once I get the truck everything should fall in place hoping to be ready by the early 15 however depends on the condition of the truck I get. That is the reason for the one on here for sale if the owner ever gets back to me! I wonder how people put stuff for sale and do not put # to call or at least answer the PM's, but is like that everywhere will shall see....

Last edited by a moderator:
Got home last night about midnight. Lots of diesel and miles. Was able to get the front hubs with new pads and calipers installed yesterday. Dismounted 5 of 6 bead locks with run flats and installed on 16.5 dually rims. Looks good but a lift will really set it off. The wrecker bed has a small tear in its frame and a little rust hole thru the floor. Only visible from underneath. Gonna try and find time this week to get it blasted and primed then go from there. Pics to follow!

brett

Been tearing apart the bed to prepare for sand blasting. Not making the progress I wanted to with the weather being a little on the warm side, building our house and smashing my finger which blew it open! So far the boom is apart and all the electrical is stripped. I have been pricing elec/hyd pumps to power a ram for the boom extension and possibly adding a selector valve for a ram to raise and lower the boom. Would have about 800 in all that unless I can find some CL deals.

Still on the fence about adding a mil 24v mile marker electric winch. For 500, it's hard to beat. I think it would be best to run it off a dedicated power steering pump though.

My largest concern is figuring a way to lower this onto my truck! These things are heavy. I don't have any trees with large limbs, don't know how big of a tractor would be needed and the Harbor freight gantry crane I've had my eye on might be to narrow for my truck!

all in all, progress is being made. The truck runs much better with the 37s. Stops better with the new brakes so I'll say we are headed in the right direction.

Brett

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Panzerwillie, Looks like you've got a good wrecker there.

Your post are really hard to read with your run-on sentences though. We would ask that you at least try and use proper grammar so people can actually read what you're trying to say.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, on your wrecker bed I have questions. Did we discuss the CA length issue? If not here is a little summarization. All of the CUCV pickups and cab/chassis trucks have a 56" CA (cab to axle) length. Almost all wrecker beds are made to the standards of 60", 72" and 84" CA lengths. There are 4 ways (that I'm aware of) for making the 60" body work on the 56" truck. First is stretch the frame 4". Tons of work and not worth the effort in my opinion. Chop 4" off the front of the bed. Since I have to do bedsides, this is likely the route I'll take. 3rd is open the fender 4" forward. Bigger fender openings might be nice on a wrecker. Lastly is you can rotate the springs 180°. this will stretch your WB but will require driveshaft work and possibly a rework of the right shock bracket. Just FYI for anyone considering same.

If I remember right, the ca length is within 1". The only thing that concerns me is I might have to cut about three inches off the rear of the frame. I'll go out and measure everything again.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to lop off a good size piece of my frame as well. I have the Holmes crossmember that installs after the cut. More of a piece of angle vs a crossmember.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks