• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty, Recovry and Panzerwillie's Wrecker Builds

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the first day of the season where I could tolerate working outside. I removed the back half of the truck frame that came with my bed and started laying out measurements. Originally I was going to flip the leaves to get tbe 60" cab to axle length. Next was to lop 4'' off the front of the bed. Today I found neither will work. It puts the bed mounts into the fuel tank mounts. I can chop 2" and work with that but now I'm considering a 4" stretch. Hmmm.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess Kenny i will have same problem when i get thereaua
I need to study the bed. Might be able to move the mount. At this point I'm thinking by going to the 60" C/A length opens up more possibilities of different beds in the future. Also for consideration is if I'm going to put it on the frame stretcher, I could go as far as the 84" C/A length and have room for a 2ft tunnel box.

We bought a tractor with a loader. Now I will be able to make some progress. Still haven't touched the bed anymore since being blasted and primed. With the loaded, I'll be able to build the subframe and move it around. Not making the progress I was hoping for but it's almost time to park the truck until it is finished.

Brett

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny, I have a ton of light buckets, no need to buy any. Let me know what style your looking for spot, flood, etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a square opening for the factory lights. I need to remove all that and fab stuff to hold LED composites. It's all fab work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a matter of fact, it is. This is a Holmes 1100 Trooper. The 1200 Commander is the same wrecker with dual winches. I hope to find a 1200 in the future and add the dual winches and dual block boom. One day at a time though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only me! Funny story. The other day I walked by the wrecker project truck and realize that despite themfact it hasn't been driven, it had a blowout. LF tire blown out at the top. Being one that can't tolerate the sight of a truck with a flat, I set out to change it.

This truck already has a chassis cab dually rear installed and I have drw front hubs ready to go so I figure I'll switch as I have a tire on a dually rim ready as well. Pull the tire caliper and lockout only to find I have the wrong hub socket. Crap! Was able to rake it off anyways but will need the socket for reassembly if I want it right.

Sprint to NAPA to fetch a socket. Only after purchasing did I realize it was wrong. Returned it pronto. Funny, took all of 3 seconds to remove the money from my acct, will take days to put it back. Oh well.

Back home I start searching and find a used Snap-On on epay. Order it, shipped priority, supposed to be here Saturday. Didn't happen. Today I'm going through one of my wife's tool drawers and find OTC7158. Well great, that's the socket I needed. Guess I'll have one for the garage and one for the contact truck.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks