• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sloppy Gear Shift

1943ht

Have been using my 37 as a daily driver and its been a blast. She runs like a fine instrument and the positive comments and thumbs up I get every day make all the work on her restoration a real pay off ... folks just plai love tl see these beautiful old beasts on the streets.

Spent yesterday adjusting all the brake shoes and the parking brake as I had not done that since the rebuild. A issue that is driving me nuts is the slop I am experiencing in the gear shift.

I have at least 6-8 inches of movement side to side when I'm in gear ....and when shifting from 2nd to 3rd I on have an ocassional grind of gears as the shifter seems to try to drop into 1st ... going to remove the tunnel around the trany this afternoon so that I can get at the gearshift.

I am looking for some advice here .. What should I be looking for? Is there something I need to rebuild? Appreciate any assistance from the team.

//R//
Mark

1943ht

Well, I decided I need to take the gearshift assembly off tomorrow and take a peek .. My trany was rebuilt in Danang Vietnam in the 60s ...will post pics as I progress....

TGP (IL)

The pin in the top side of the shifter tower is broke or well worn.
Also the groove on the side of the shift lever at the ball is well worn.
Install new pinbolt and weld the groove and reshape or find new. There out there from the usual suspects.
Tom

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The pin in the top side of the shifter tower is broke or well worn.
Also the groove on the side of the shift lever at the ball is well worn.
Install new pinbolt and weld the groove and reshape or find new. There out there from the usual suspects.
Tom
That would be my guess as well. My M-37 had that problem and Troy swapped the pin from a donor truck and solved the problem.:driver:

1943ht

That makes sense ..went thru the Trany TM, and the pin issue looked to be the most plausible ... had to take a trip to upper New York so I did not get the chance to pull the shifter yet, will do that after school today ...suspect that the pin is either broken or missing ... thanks for all the advise ..will take pics

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just call vintage or Midwest Military and get a NOS top cover , about $100.. Replaced mine last winter , common problem on M37's . bob k

1943ht

Bob I'm one cheap old S#B LOL ...will try the self abuse / self repair route 1st ..going to school and have access to lots of machines here like mills, lathes etc .... if that fails it will be a call to John at MM ... thanks for that suggestion :)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem , I have the old shift tower and it is yours for the taking if you need a part . :tank: bob k

1943ht

Pulled the tower today and determined that my tower is a bit different than that described in the TM. There’s only 1 pin, and you have to pull the shifter out thru the bottom of the tower after removing the spring inside the tower. There is no twist off collar so that you can remove the shifter from the top of the tower.

That being said I was able to tear it down and pull the shifter. The pin is broken to the point that it no longer stays in place in the shifter thus the slop in my shifter. Pulled the pin remnant out and there is enough there to make a pattern for a new pin which I'll turn down on a lathe tomorrow.

Will harden the pin after turning it down, put the tower back together and throw it back into the beast. Have decided to modify the new pin and beef up the taper so that it won't fail like the old one did. Will post pics of the new pin tomorrow,

Pics are of the tear-down today and the worn/broken pin.

P8030008.jpgP8030007.jpgP8010006.jpgP8010005.jpgP8010003.jpgP8010001.jpgP8030009.jpgP8030010.jpg

Attachments

1943ht

Pin completed, cleaned up the shifter as the edges of the ball on the shifter were nasty due to the broken pin. Pin was turned from steel and then hardened and polished. Have to be careful with the hardening process because if its to hard it becomes brittle and may crack/fail. Heat soak prior to dipping in oil is the secret regards hardening.

The machined cut on the shifter ball also shows scaring from the broken pin being jammed into the cutout when the shift was moved thru its pattern. That would explain why sometimes the shift would seem to bind up a bit when I ran it thru its pattern.

Had a personal commitment (CINC-W) last night after school, so I did not get an opportunity to put the tower back together and into the beast. Will knock it out tonight.

I have the old style/original shifter tower. From what I have determined the B-Model had an improved shifter and tower, and per the TM you could pull the shifter out from the top instead of thru the tower bottom. The redesign went to a two pin system as two pins would have shared the stress load more evenly on shifter ball and must have reduced the fail rate. Pics Posted:

P8040001.jpgP8040002.jpgP8050004.jpgP8050005.jpgP8050007.jpg

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Nice work . The whole B series transmissions were a improvement over the early units . They are interchangeable and all around are a better unit and are a LITTLE hard to find . I bet there are a lot left in SEA !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks