• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New PURest air dyer install on M923A2

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bringing this one back with an update. So I have put approx. 45,000miles on my purest unit before it just started sounding like fire crackers from the pop valve. Purge was acting fine, just the pop valve. Well so I swapped it out with an older unit I had to just get me by until I get a replacement one. Let's face it, the replacement dryer costs less than the new filter kit. Well I popped it open and this is what I found. Take in mind I don't drain my tanks daily. Maybe once every other day or something where its going to sit a few days. I have not had any issues with it till now. Tried to pull the bottom purge apart and it wasn't too bad. Lots of black chunks and all inside the lower dryer unit. I may cut the filter open and look at it sometime. Keep in mind also that if in a bind you can swap lower gut parts on the dryers out with the old style.

Link to the Haldex Parts page for servicing the units.

Old Units
https://www.haldex.com/en/na/air-dr...newremanufactured/pure-air-plus-service-kits/

Purest Units
https://www.haldex.com/en/na/air-dr...haldex-newremanufactured/purest-service-kits/

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a purest dryer.
Maybe 400 miles on it.
My pop valve just started popping when tanks are first filled with air.
After that all is normal, until next start and run.

Looked at old dryer and didnt have anythjng that looked like that stuff.

Compresser problems?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Compressor charges the system fine. Stuff may be getting by it but I can't complain. I am adding a second air compressor when I do my transmission swap. So I'll just replace the stock one then

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compressor charges the system fine. Stuff may be getting by it but I can't complain. I am adding a second air compressor when I do my transmission swap. So I'll just replace the stock one then

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
What are you needing the second compressor for?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally installed my new air dryer yesterdayIMG_4552.jpgIMG_4553.jpg a few things I ran into, that you might want to check before you dive into your install.

-The old control line port is 1/8” NPT, the new dryer was 1/4”, luckily I had a reducer bushing on hand.

-The swivel end on the control hose was sized, and I ended up twisting the end off, but fortunately there was a coupler in the line with about 4’ of slack, and I was still able to just reach the air dryer after removing the broken section of hose. I’m going to get a new 1’ hose made, so I can get it routed back properly.

-The two top mounting bolts that came my dryer where about 3/8” to long. I used 1/2” shorter bolts that I had on hand.

8madjack

I rebuilt mine on my 931 A1 and everything works great, is there a reason that you guys swap them out is it just cause it's cheaper or is there something wrong with the old one?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I rebuilt mine on my 931 A1 and everything works great, is there a reason that you guys swap them out is it just cause it's cheaper or is there something wrong with the old one?
Rebuilding the pure air dryers sometimes just doesnt work out. Lots of documented rebuilds that still have the same purge problems from the dryer

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding the pure air dryers sometimes just doesn't work out. Lots of documented rebuilds that still have the same purge problems from the dryer
Yup and then it's swap time. Or when you find a replacement air dryer that is cheaper than a rebuild of the old unit, then it's swap time. YMMV.

8madjack

Thanks guys. I think the recommended interval is once a year so I'll either just rebuild it once a year or maybe push it to once every other year since I don't drive my truck a ton.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks guys. I think the recommended interval is once a year so I'll either just rebuild it once a year or maybe push it to once every other year since I don't drive my truck a ton.
Service the dryer once a year maybe is the interval. Rebuild should only occur upon failure

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks