• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6TL battery acid capacity

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple brand new 6TL batteries that are dry. I plan on putting them in the deuce. I was wondering if anyone knows how much acid it takes to fill one. Thanks for any info.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A couple of days ago I checked with SS to find out how much battery acid was needed to charge a 6TL. This was the thread I found. However the thread does not directly spell out the amount need to charge a dry charged 6TL battery.

I had two 6TL batteries still in the original boxes. There was this document in the box along with the battery. As you can see it says the volume of acid is 8 quarts (2 gallons) per battery. When I charged the two batteries I found the volume of acid to be correct.

After charging the two batteries it took close to 4 to 5 gallons to do both.

Here is the document indicating the volume needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

They will be dry charged, So, Do NOT put acid in them.
Simply fill the battery's with DISTILLED WATER, just over the plates IF they require it,

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beat me to it. No acid required in today's automotive batteries. The acid is formed in the battery, you add distilled water only.

Scrounger

The older 6TL batteries when delivered dry required as maccus has posted acid when placed in service. The batteries would come in a box, dry with a container of acid, still have some tucked away like that. Some came just in a box without acid and it was obtained separately.

When a new battery is dry it has essentially an unlimited shelf like, hence the reason they were procured that way.

Guyfang

Staff member
There was a NSN for batteries, with acid overpacked in the boxes, and a NSN for batteries without acid. Some units only ordered without acid, and kept 30 gallon metal containers of acid on hand. Or half gallon containers in plastic bags, in cardboard boxes. I liked the half gallon containers best, for ease of handling. Storage was the problem. Hazmat is a PITA.

fasttruck

I seem to remember each one took .5 gallon as I recall filling 2 of them with 1gallon of acid. "Zero" would know these things and perhaps Jatonka.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks