• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Center flip/fold console Seat? (When using 2 bucket seats)

peashooter

I'm hoping someone has already done this and is willing to share their work.
I'm installing 2 bucket seats and would like to put some type of flip up seat or fold down backrest center seat in for the rare but occasional times that a 3rd seat is needed.

If anyone has done this, I'd love to see some pictures of what you have done. I'm planning and hoping to just get a center jumpseat/console from a junkyard or something but was wondering what vehicle/year would be a good fit width (and more importantly) length/depth wise? Obviously I'll need to make some brackets but just looking for some ideas on what fits in the space well.

Below pics show 1 of the 2 new buckets I'm installing (bench seat is now gone) and the last pic shows an example of what I was thinking for the center jump seat.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

quickfarms

Where did you find the picture of the example?

I put dual air ride seats in my truck. I like to use the area between the seats for my cooler and I have a pocket along the back wall where I keep my paperwork. I also put a hook on the back wall of the cab to hang a small back pack

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

If there is a "Pull a Part" junkyard in your area check them out. The seats out of a full sized pick up will fit in a deuce (may be tight depending on make) and some of them have the folding option like you describe.

I had bucket seats out of a Dodge Neon in my M109 and there was plenty of room between them to put in a jump seat if I had needed to.

peashooter

Where did you find the picture of the example?
I just pulled the picture off of ebay, I think its from a newer Silverado if I remember right. I figured the difficult part will be to find a center seat that isn't too deep so that it wont interfere with the shifter or hi/low transfercase selector.

If there is a "Pull a Part" junkyard in your area check them out. The seats out of a full sized pick up will fit in a deuce (may be tight depending on make) and some of them have the folding option like you describe.

I had bucket seats out of a Dodge Neon in my M109 and there was plenty of room between them to put in a jump seat if I had needed to.
We do have a few "you pull it" junkyards around here which I love going to. They are getting more rare every year though! I'll probably end up doing this if I cant find a way to cheat and just copy someone else who has already done the leg work finding a good application to pull one from :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one in my ambulance that I got off CL for $35. Many moons ago a friend of mine installed 2 springers in his deuce. For only the cost of time and welding wire, he took a standard deuce companion seat and narrowed it into a jump seat. He made a dring holder and used magnets to secure it to the seat back. Looked 100% factory and was 100% functional.

I used the two front seats out of a durango and then took the middle row middle seat and put it in between. Probably only good enough for a child but it works well with my two kids.

I'll post pictures later because it's being dumb on my phone

Attachments

XchaosX

I have been wanting to do the same thing. I have dual springer seats in one of my trucks. I was just going to put in a center console but I decided I'd like a third seat also. I also wanted to use the Chevy truck jump seat because it has extra storage under the seat. I don't think it will work with the tc lever either. I was thinking of using one of the mrap seats I have seen guys use on here. They bolt to the back and the bottom of seat folds up. Dan, isn't your tc air actuated with your lever cut down?

peashooter

Well I did end up checking out a junk yard today. I had a few ideas from it but after measuring the room I have between the bucket seats I think the best bet at the moment is probably going to be the rear jump seat from an S10 pickup. I also checked some of the rear fold out jump seats from the land rovers but the are too wide and everything else I saw was too deep or too thick so it would interfere with the xfer case lever. Another seat that looked promising (from pictures anyway) was a rear jump seat out of a newer Nissan king frontier.
So I'll probably get and try out the S-10 fold up rear jump seat and if it works out just build a simple console underneath it.

Last edited:

w3azel

I have one in my crew cab but the big issue was getting it to line up with the other seats and not block the transfercase lever. I did it by moving the seats back a few inches but I don't think you can get away with that in a regular cab. Then again I used seats from a Ford superduty so the center console seat is pretty long. Id share a pic but my computer doesn't work and my phone wont upload pics onto this site.

peashooter

Well I ended up getting 2 of the Oreilly Auto parts racing seats and then bought a rear jump seat from a 99 chevy s-10 pickup. I put the 2 racing seats in and took the truck for a few trips now with them. I decided they dont work too well for me so I'll be getting rid of them. The problem for me is the side bolsters on the bottom part of the seat. They are comfortable but they make it hard to get in and out of the truck and also feel weird when stepping on the clutch. They would probably work well for smaller guys (I'm 6'3" with a 35" waist).
I decided to set the jump seat in and take some pictures just so other people can see how it might work, but again I'll be selling all these seats so I wont finish this setup.

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
That was the reason for my decision....Jeep seats are much less contoured. Trial the Rampage Bucket seat , its availible trough Amazon and others..
http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-5044915-Denim-Standard-Bucket/dp/B000E86Z6Q

Aftermarket Jeep seats are not equal, i've decided one that is very close to the original.

Greets Juergen

PS:
Or trial originals, they should be availible. Many jeepers throw them out and replace them with racing seats....

Attachments

Last edited:

ralph3162

I used a seat I got at tractor supply good contour very comfortable and bolted right up. Now I need to remove passenger side and replace with driver spring base so I can do the same on the other side. I will then have room in the center for the red dot AC and the Combat Crock Pot.IMG_20140817_085148.jpg Sorry about being upside down could not figure out how to rotate it right side up.

merlot566jka

Chevy Venture Van driver and passenger seats, rear center seat used as my center seat. Fits tight. Works well. Cup holders are great!
Don't have pics at the moment.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the post I needed to see! So many ways to upgrade the companion seat from its hard and awful state.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was the reason for my decision....Jeep seats are much less contoured. Trial the Rampage Bucket seat , its availible trough Amazon and others..
http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-5044915-Denim-Standard-Bucket/dp/B000E86Z6Q

Aftermarket Jeep seats are not equal, i've decided one that is very close to the original.

Greets Juergen

PS:
Or trial originals, they should be availible. Many jeepers throw them out and replace them with racing seats....
Did you build a frame for the passenger seats or did you use the old frame somehow?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks