• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

huge yard with hundreds? of mv's in Rolla Missourri

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post up some pix!! If the old man is in such advanced age, it may be a matter of time before he passes on and tbe horde falls to the heirs or tax lien buyer or some creditor.... so this may still have a happy ending.
Unfortunately, after a collector dies, often the heirs are in a hurry to split up the estate and get the fast cash. Guns, tools, coins and jewelry go to pawn shops (who are happy to take advantage of widows, IMHO), vehicles go to craigs list if only 1 or 2 or the scrap yard for old rusty iron (MVs). Figurines or glassware go to auctions, Goodwill or the trash. This is especially if one or more of the heirs is hard up for cash or into drugs. Sometimes the good stuff goes to estate auctions, but the auctioneers may not know what they have, and fail to advertise to knowledgeable people.

Another Ahab

Unfortunately, after a collector dies, often the heirs are in a hurry to split up the estate and get the fast cash. Guns, tools, coins and jewelry go to pawn shops (who are happy to take advantage of widows, IMHO), vehicles go to craigs list if only 1 or 2 or the scrap yard for old rusty iron (MVs). Figurines or glassware go to auctions, Goodwill or the trash. This is especially if one or more of the heirs is hard up for cash or into drugs. Sometimes the good stuff goes to estate auctions, but the auctioneers may not know what they have, and fail to advertise to knowledgeable people.
Yeah, greed is the ready-most explanation for nearly all and EVERY act of human nature, sure. Well, on the male side of the equation anyhow; "woman-think" is different but I got no expertise there.

But death is messy, and the family dynamic of siblings with different agendas can lead the executors to go-the-easy-route, and liquidate all the assets and then divide the cash equally. Sometimes a whole let less family combat that way, and people are busy (being an executor is not always a job you beg to have). But in a nutshell: death can be messy; usually is.

If Mr. W. Dean is eccentric, might just need some investment in time to befriend the guy. Maybe just eccentric because he's got no company to pay him any visits; maybe just lonely. Who knows?

But, uhm, any chance of some Foe-Toe(s)?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Sometimes the reason that these fellas won't sell anything is because it is easier for them to just let things rot than to deal with making the sale and standing around to make sure nothing gets damaged or stolen during loading. I find that if you show up with a good loading and towing apparatus and can be self sufficient enough tha you don't have to ask the owner to help you load things, they can normally be pursuaded to sell. Some just can't be convinced in any way. Each have their own reasons.
He's got some mileage on him, and maybe it takes all his energy just to get up every day:

- Might loosen him up (and make his day) if he got a regular visit, say just once a month

- From one or two (maybe three) Disciples of the OD, just to introduce themselves, make some conversation, and share a visit (you know: fellowship).

- Maybe even offer to take him to lunch.

- In time, he'll likely tell you the stories behind all that mouthwatering iron; and maybe, just maybe give some of it to you, just for the asking.

You never know. But sometimes the one-on-one, with a little investment in time, produces surprises.

Warren Dean; he's got a story, and I bet it's interesting. We're all of us walking soap operas.

Last edited:

gerrykan

It's been several years now since I last visited Warren.
He can tell you some great stories of the equipment he has bought and sold over the years.

He is a really nice guy, but unless things have changed, a business man 'til the end.
Nothing was a steal, some priced right, and some over priced(in my opinion).

He sold to some foreign countries, and other big spenders in the past, so his prices were set higher than most hobbyist's would prefer.

wdbtchr

I went there to the house on the property many times while my boys were going to Rolla. I never did make contact with him, so I suspect he's living somewhere else. I left my contact information taped to his door several times, but the only contact I got was a hand drawn flier in the mail for the Goer. No phone number or other contact information. After the boys graduated I kinda gave up. I wonder is he has any family that might be interested in helping.:popcorn:

dave2011

photo 1 (2).jpgphoto 2 (2).jpgphoto 3 (1).jpg

I know this is an old thread but I currently go to school in Rolla and tried multiple times to get in contact with the guy that owns this yard. Here are some quick pictures from the front. There is a lot more in the back but I didn't want to venture too far

datadawg

1st thing I'd check is whether the RE taxes are being paid on the property. It's public record and available at the tax collector's office. The tax bill will have an address where it's being sent to and if the address is different from the property, it's a good sign that someone else is now managing his affairs. From reading the thread sometime ago, my impression was the owner was fairly advanced in years and possibly not in great health. Anyway, one could write to that address and see if any vehicles are available for sale. I pretty much guarantee that if a third party (accountant, lawyer) or family member is managing his affairs, everything is for sale and they will not have any emotional attachment. I know if I got hit by a bus, my wife would put my toys on CL, free to whoever hauls them first, LOL.

Another Ahab

I pretty much guarantee that if a third party (accountant, lawyer) or family member is managing his affairs, everything is for sale and they will not have any emotional attachment. I know if I got hit by a bus, my wife would put my toys on CL, free to whoever hauls them first, LOL.
I'll back that up. I was executor for both my Father's estate and also my Mother's estate. I was honored that they selected me for the role, but it's not always anything like a picnic to be an executor for someone's Will:

- Frequently the executor is desperate to make things "go away" (it's not an easy task, and typically they have other things to do as well; like hold down a job and raise a family).

- If you are respectful, and polite, enough; they might be more than willing to give you stuff you might otherwise be willing to pay for.

You got nothing to lose. Give it a shot is my recommendation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks