• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Camper Project

profo

Yes having a Lil EGT's problems not comfortable with, I had turned it up but have since turned it back , I did though change the governor springs(3K)and it made it much more drive friendly I also readjusted the the transmission shift linkage cause I notice it was not letting the throttle go all the way back to idle. Now it shifts like a normal vehicle and last gear doesn't wait forever if your just cruising along, I don't think I am fully back to stock setting I had originally went 1 1/2 - 2 out on the rear screw now I am about 1/2 a turn out, my EGT's are slightly less but it is also winter, runs consisitant 1100-1200 degrees at 60 mph not pulling trailer I have a hx-50 turbo that will be tried next, I am going camping for Mardis Gras this weekend so I got about a 3 hour drive ahead of me and want to see what it does before I pull the turbo again, I tried one from a diesel guy that said it would work but actually seemed to increase EGT'S I think he put the compressor to big which made more restriction, on the exhaust side, the truck has a straight pipe from engine to outlet, i modified the intake filter by removing all the sheet metal around filter inside the canister,put a ram air intake on stack, my probe is before turbo, and have checked it with different probes and actually ran two probes at once.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw this thing at the 2016 GMVR this weekend. This thread doesn't in any way show what all Profo did to it. It's insane.

Thank you for giving my friends and I the 5 minute tour. It's amazing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I saw this thing at the 2016 GMVR this weekend. This thread doesn't in any way show what all Profo did to it. It's insane.

Thank you for giving my friends and I the 5 minute tour. It's amazing.
I said that if he charged a quarter a head he would pay for the thing in a few weeks. It is a very nice setup.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

red

Yes having a Lil EGT's problems not comfortable with, I had turned it up but have since turned it back , I did though change the governor springs(3K)and it made it much more drive friendly I also readjusted the the transmission shift linkage cause I notice it was not letting the throttle go all the way back to idle. Now it shifts like a normal vehicle and last gear doesn't wait forever if your just cruising along, I don't think I am fully back to stock setting I had originally went 1 1/2 - 2 out on the rear screw now I am about 1/2 a turn out, my EGT's are slightly less but it is also winter, runs consisitant 1100-1200 degrees at 60 mph not pulling trailer I have a hx-50 turbo that will be tried next, I am going camping for Mardis Gras this weekend so I got about a 3 hour drive ahead of me and want to see what it does before I pull the turbo again, I tried one from a diesel guy that said it would work but actually seemed to increase EGT'S I think he put the compressor to big which made more restriction, on the exhaust side, the truck has a straight pipe from engine to outlet, i modified the intake filter by removing all the sheet metal around filter inside the canister,put a ram air intake on stack, my probe is before turbo, and have checked it with different probes and actually ran two probes at once.
That hx50 will help out at the higher rpm's but takes longer to spool up. Anymore details of the build?

Mos68x

Profo, do you have any more 'in-process' pics of the build? I'm curious on how you did all the structural stuff and unseen bits. Really nice build!

someoldmoose

Profo, sir, I have read everything on here about all of the camper conversions being done or that have been done. I had tried a coupla times to find yours and either got di . . . SQUIRREL ! ! ! . . . stracted. Or fell asleep at the switch. I have been told your work is outstanding and that certainly appears to be an understatement.
Mr. Rayzer's Taj provided some great intell. and I see a bunch in your photos as well. I am planning to embark on the same adventure as soon as my vessel (M820 - ​Exit Strategy) is made mission capable. I would greatly appreciate any, and all, additional info you might be able to provide or other places you could direct me for gathering of same. Everyone seems to want more pics and I am certainly in that cadre as well. I plan to return the favor by documenting my tear-down and rising of the Phoenix (hopefully without any real fire being involved) for the enjoyment of future readers. [somebody on here has in their signature about how much we document ourselves nowadays (sorry, I don't remember whom right now), and I often agree when it's cat videos or how to turbocharge a Geo Metro ( turd polishing supreme? ) but I will be hoping that maybe it will save someone from repeating a mistake of mine or making it in the first place]

Anyways, thank you for what you have provided but PLEASE consider adding more if it's possible. Great work and Happy Motoring !

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Martys camper is like a cross between a hilton hotel and the Ritz carlton. It is nice inside. Even satellite tv. Its impressive. It makes a new motorhome off the lot look like a cheap hunk of crap. He is currently working on an lmtv camper and i leaked some pics. IMG_21051.jpgIMG_21041.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jim Deggys

I live in Louisiana and am looking to use a 5ton for a food truck. However, i would like to avoid the class B cdl since I will weigh about 30K. Anyway to get around the CDL that you know of?

Been here a while but don't say much usually just read alot, any way I removed the bed off of my M927 and built a camper shell for it, everything went great was even able to get MotorHome Clasification (No CDL)with a Military Collectable Classic License Plate (lifetime using serial numbers) and no plate. Been collecting a while probably 30 years and thought what the heck lets post some pictures, now looking for a few military Museums,Meets to goto any sugestions. Also thanks golden eagle for that info on Lincense stuff.

View attachment 509421View attachment 509429View attachment 509428View attachment 509427View attachment 509426View attachment 509425View attachment 509424View attachment 509423View attachment 509422View attachment 509430

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I live in Louisiana and am looking to use a 5ton for a food truck. However, i would like to avoid the class B cdl since I will weigh about 30K. Anyway to get around the CDL that you know of?
You are driving a big truck. Take your CDL test and get it over with. Not hard. Have you seen some of the truck drivers? You dont even have to speak English to take the written test.

Jim Deggys

I agree it's not hard but the commercial insurance, medical certs, and requirements that come along with the CDL are a hassle and expensive. I will likely get the CDL unless I can find a loop hole. Thanks

You are driving a big truck. Take your CDL test and get it over with. Not hard. Have you seen some of the truck drivers? You dont even have to speak English to take the written test.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I agree it's not hard but the commercial insurance, medical certs, and requirements that come along with the CDL are a hassle and expensive. I will likely get the CDL unless I can find a loop hole. Thanks
There isnt. You are driving the truck for profit. Anything over 10,001lbs requires a cdl for interstate commerce. I believe anything over 26k in Louisiana requires an A. It's a vehicle being used as a business you better have commercial insurance on it.

Medical card is simple. Most doctors as long as you have a pulse you get a card.

rustystud

There isnt. You are driving the truck for profit. Anything over 10,001lbs requires a cdl for interstate commerce. I believe anything over 26k in Louisiana requires an A. It's a vehicle being used as a business you better have commercial insurance on it.

Medical card is simple. Most doctors as long as you have a pulse you get a card.

Not anymore. My last physical for my class "A" CDL was a real pain ! I needed to get my blood pressure down. It was 150/80 . I needed it down to 140/80 minimum. That is a new Federal Standard. No fudging the papers anymore. If your blood pressure is over 140/80 you only get a six month medical certificate. Then there is the whole eye thing and hearing tests you "must" pass. Their very serious now on the medical certificates. Plus not all doctors will administer the test anymore. I had to go thirty miles out of my way to find a Federally "Qualified" Doctor to perform my test. Then even before you get your medical test, you must complete the "Federal Driving Test" . The written part took over one hour and the driving part took two hours. You must drive with a "Certified State Trooper" who tells you what to do. Mine had no sense of humor at all ! After half an hour I finally stopped telling jokes. Found out later he "nixted" me several points for driving distracted !!!!
So the whole CDL thing is NOT a walk in the park !!!!
Hasn't been for over 20 years, now it's even worse.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Not anymore. My last physical for my class "A" CDL was a real pain ! I needed to get my blood pressure down. It was 150/80 . I needed it down to 140/80 minimum. That is a new Federal Standard. No fudging the papers anymore. If your blood pressure is over 140/80 you only get a six month medical certificate. Then there is the whole eye thing and hearing tests you "must" pass. Their very serious now on the medical certificates. Plus not all doctors will administer the test anymore. I had to go thirty miles out of my way to find a Federally "Qualified" Doctor to perform my test. Then even before you get your medical test, you must complete the "Federal Driving Test" . The written part took over one hour and the driving part took two hours. You must drive with a "Certified State Trooper" who tells you what to do. Mine had no sense of humor at all ! After half an hour I finally stopped telling jokes. Found out later he "nixted" me several points for driving distracted !!!!
Apparently you have not seen the truck drivers cruising down America's highways. The cdl test and or course is simple. Most.of the drivers cant even speak English or back up and they turn em loose on the highways.

If you have a normal physician that can do it pretty simple. Or a minor medical centre for the card

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You can hit up any CVS. Minute Clinic. Not that it's the right thing since like Wes said, you can get the card if you have a pulse. Mine is every 2 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks