• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar Pulse Charger

1943ht

I picked up one of those Pulse Solar Chargers here on SS for 24 and 12 systems. It’s a great looking outfit with a good size solar panel, robust wiring, test box, control box with circuit breakers etc. Instructions are very generic and I installed it in my M37 based on the instructions with some minor modifications. There are three main wires in this system, Ground, 12V and 24V. Instructions are geared towards the Hummer 24 volt system, but in my thought process a 24V systems is a 24V system. Instructions state that the 12V wire goes on the + post of the battery that goes to the ground. The 24V wire goes on the + wire of the NATO Plug and the Ground wire goes on the ground wire on the NATO Plug.

Now my NATO Plug seems pretty simple, + cable runs to starter solenoid and – cable runs to the frame per the wiring diagram. So I modified the instructions a bit and ran the Ground Wire from the pulse charger to a ground point on the body under the seat (Battery Box Area) and ran the 24V wire to the + cable on the hot side of my keyed ignition switch that is mounted next to the battery box. The other side of that switch, when open, runs to the starter solenoid. Seems to me that this would work because in essence it’s just like I’m hooking it up directly to the NATO plug. When I hit the test button on the test box to see if the batteries are charged I had 4 lit (Very dim lights, not LED’s L) lights so I assume that the system is working according to the instructions.

Has anyone else installed on of these systems in their M37? Would appreciate any input if they have.

I plan to install one of these systems in my M818 before winter. I run Gel batteries in all my vehicles and find that they hold up very well even under extreme cold. Figure with the pulse charger they will stay hot and ready for use.

P8140002.jpgP8140003.jpgP8140001.jpg

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mark,

I have not installed one on my M37 but your thought process seems to be correct. I would relocate the ground lead to the frame if it was my truck, but that is your choice.

Bert

1943ht

Bert that's a good point ... Was thinking of moving the ground wire to the negative post on the cable that runs to ground from the battery box. that would ensure a ground to the frame and I was thinking that my current ground location is not truly going to the frame because of the body's rubber pads that insulate the body from the frame at the mounting points.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks