• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan

***** New Intel *****
* Ironplanet has created a new website/company called GOVPLANET.COM *

I read in another thread where someone reminded us that IronPlanet.com was not
selling trucks to California residents. This is no longer true.
I can tell you as a matter of fact, not hearsay but fact,
that now "Anyone" even a California resident and not just a California dealer can buy
trucks and take delivery on them directly from IronPlanet.com .

I just had a wonderful conversation w/ the folks at IRONPLANET (IP) about many issues and
I am VERY encouraged. One issue was the no-sale to Calif residents and I was told
that program is DUST, OVERWITH and DONE.

Ironplanet.com will begin selling military trucks about the middle of November. I
I think things are going to be a LOT BETTER and easier at IronPlanet.com . These
folks actually CARE. They are very concerned about what has happened to consumers
and they are super keen on making these process's easier. The process is a little different
buying over there but all for the better I think. One thing I really liked is there is no 15 minute extension to the
auction if someone bids in the last 15 minutes. There is a short 2 minute extension and
THAT will make things move a LOT faster.

I was told that IP is going to have a representative in BattleCreek itself to help push
EUC clearances along too! THAT is going be a big plus! They really were ears wide open
to suggestions. THAT tells me they care.

The way I understand it, IronPlanet.com will be taking the rolling stock sales on one locale at
a time, it will not be an "All of a sudden" change, so for a short period of time
GL and IP will be selling trucks until IP has the horns firmly in their grasp.

I got signed up over there some time ago, glad I did. If you get registered you will
start to get the newsletters and stuff and learn first hand about what's what. With
the recent release of trucks, and IP taking over rolling stock sales, I see good times ahead!
:tank:

Last edited by a moderator:

saddamsnightmare

August 20th, 2014.

Let's hope that the process becomes, shall we say, less tiresome. But I will sit back and wait, because depending on my next posting the mods are either going to be adding an Army/Navy vessel forum, or a Railroad Forum...Just Saying....:idea:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The reason that I posted that about IP not selling to residents of CA except though a dealer was what IP posted concerning some trucks they were/are selling. now this may have changed.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I am curious what locations they will use. GL owns the Truckcenters so Iron Planet will either need to find another dump area or sell only from on base.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I always wondered if the 25 dollar start price was part of the gov contract. I have bought from Iron Planet before they usually start stuff at a reasonable price but not giving anything away.

Artisan

...and that is one of the best sales pitches I have ever seen!

"ALL BIDS START AT $25.00 " NOT! ... when in fact no one actually bid $25.00 , in reality the first bid is always "$35.00".

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No I have won auctions at the 25 dollars starting bid. Plus fees of course. Most of the auction sites that sell municipal and gov property have low starting bids.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way IP bidding works is really different from the way most on-line auctions sites do it (including GL).

The bidding is only actually open for 5 minutes (not counting bid time extensions). You can place a proxy bid days before auction but you're bid won't be placed before auction time.

This way of auctioning will make it almost impossible to try and keep up with real time bid prices on multiple items if several of them end at the same time because you'll only get a 5 minute glimpse of the real time bidding. Not that it's good or bad, it's just different that what most of the GL and Ebay bidders are used to but people that like to watch and bid in real time probably won't like it.

You basically just have to put in your best proxy bid and wait to see if you won or try and fight it out in that 5 minute window. They do allow 2 minute bid extensions as long as the bidding is active though.

I do wonder if they will offer their insurance program on MVs. It would be nice to know what condition your item is in but the flip side is it's bound to raise prices. I know from a friend's experience on a trackhoe he bought they they do make good on claims. The local John Deere dealer spent about $2K fixing it and they paid the total bill because the inspection said it had no problems.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The gov contract may require them to run the gov auctions differently though. I have to believe everything is pretty much spelled out in the contract. Only time will tell.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what are the fees? What is the cost for the SF-97? How do you pay? (I only saw an option for wire transfer).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do wonder if they will offer their insurance program on MVs. It would be nice to know what condition your item is in but the flip side is it's bound to raise prices. I know from a friend's experience on a trackhoe he bought they they do make good on claims. The local John Deere dealer spent about $2K fixing it and they paid the total bill because the inspection said it had no problems.
While companies may guarantee their equipment, I highly doubt that the government will guarantee anything. They already assign codes.

123mack

I tried to search for the actual contract, but no luck. Maybe someone with better search skills could find it. I think that would answer a lot of questions.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Iron Planet offers their "Ironclad assurance" on certain items. They stand behind their inspection/evaluation of the items. Other items are sold as-is. I dont think they would offer anything on the gov surplus. I had to pay via bank wire when I purchased thru them they did not have a credit card option. I think if that is how payment is accepted for the surplus, then it will cut alot of the smaller buyers out. I always wondered about GL accepting CC for items what do they do when someone files a dispute.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some of the regular fees. The Gov stuff may be different.

Registering with IronPlanet® and participating in auctions are free.
Transaction Fees
For each item won in an IronPlanet Auction, the Buyer must pay a transaction fee. The amount of this fee is based on the final selling price and is detailed on the Payment tab of the listing page for each item.

Default and Late Payment Fees
If the winning bidder fails to complete the transaction for any reason, they must pay a Default Fee based on the final selling price of the item less Buyer's transaction fee. In addition, Buyer will be charged a Late Payment Fee on all items purchased that have not been paid within five (5) business days after conclusion of a Purchase Contract. The Default Fees and Late Payment Fees are described in the chart below.

Final Selling Price Ranges, Default Fee, Late Payment Fee(per business day per item)
$2,500 or less, $500, $10
$2,501 to $10,000, $1,500, $25
$10,001 to $25,000, $2,500, $50
$25,001 to $50,000, $4,000, $100
$50,001 to $100,000, $5,000, $250
$100,000 or greater, $6,500, $250

Storage Fees
Buyers shall remove the equipment from Seller's premises no later than eight ( 8 business days after the Auction closes, after which Buyers may be responsible for payment of Storage Fees, and in some cases payment of cost to transport equipment to an alternate location. If a Buyer has not removed the equipment from the Seller's location within eight ( 8 business days after the close of the Auction for the piece of Equipment, the Buyer will be responsible for directly paying the Seller any and all storage fees if levied by the Seller. If levied by the Seller, standard storage fees will be $25 per day, beginning on the 9th day after the close of the Auction for the piece of equipment.

Relocation Fees
Failure to remove the equipment from the Seller’s premises within fifteen (15) calendar days after the Auction may result in relocation of the equipment to a storage facility. In the event of equipment relocation, all costs associated with relocation and storage will be due prior to pick-up being allowed. Additionally, a Relocation Fee equal to the greater of (i) 1% of sale price or (ii) $250 will be due for each unit relocated to storage.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • Payment Options and fees

Final Selling PriceTransaction Fee
    $1 to $7,50010% of the final selling price
    $7,500 to $31,8003.85% of the final selling price (min $750)
    Above $31,800$1,225

• Payment can be made by wire transfer (recommended), certified bank check (U.S. customers only), or credit card (when full payment amount is $5,000 or less).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While companies may guarantee their equipment, I highly doubt that the government will guarantee anything. They already assign codes.
It's my understanding that Iron Planet is actually the one that issues the guarantee (and payout) and not the actual owner of the equipment.

What they do when you list a item and want the guarantee is they will send a inspector out and he will write up an inspection report. They aren't guaranteeing the item will be in good shape, they are just guaranteeing that the inspection report is correct.

Now I'm sure it cost more for the seller to get the Iron Clad Assurance on a piece of equipment but I'd say it almost always commands a higher selling price.

I agree though that all this may be moot as we don't know how the government surplus auctions are going to be handled.

You'd think that somebody could file a freedom of information request and get a copy of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks