• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I tucked the WC51 away on dollies and moved the unrestored Ben Hur trailer outside to make room for the GPW. I then went to work on the GPW in preparation for removing the body from the frame and setting the tub on a dolly for restoration work. Got her fired up yesterday and she ran pretty well but I was pouring gas down a funnel and tube directly to the carb. Tested the tranny and transfer case and all seemed okay, however the real test is yet to come. Removed the bumperettes and the fabricated hitch tongue which will be replaced with a pintle hook if I can find one. Gas tank and radiator are in pretty bad shape and I will take them to a radiator company in San Antonio to see if the can clean up and coat the tank and repair the radiator. If not, I am looking at an expense of around $950 to replace these items. Wish me luck.

WC-on-Dollies.jpgBen-Hur-at-rest.jpgCleaned-Out-Tub.jpgCompartment.jpgNo-Radiator.jpgRadiiator-and-Fuel-Tank.jpgClean-Rear-End.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the rear panel "F" script? If so, I wonder if a really good welder could weld it back in place. Cool how they used the rear seat retainer studs for the tailgate latch.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, the rear panel is Ford script but the majority of the letter was welded over. I have a new rear panel on the way. mkcoen, unfortunately I will be in Houston at that time. Maybe next time.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much done today. Did make a dolly to put the bed on and then I worked on trying to uncover the hood number. Very pleased with the result and the number is in Blue Drab to boot.

Hood-Number.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know yet but I will try to get an answer to that question. I hope it is possible since my jeep did not have a front bumper and the rear bumperettes are pretty much toast. The passenger side rear has a faded yellow dot about 4" in diameter. Never seen on of those.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been slacking a little but did get some work done today. Besides assembling a host of parts, I separated the tub from the chassis and set it on its own dolly for body work. Also did a first pass pressure wash attempt until my P/W crapped out so looks like I will be cleaning the carb tomorrow to get it back in action. Here are a few pictures:

Parts-1.jpgParts-2.jpgTub.jpgChassis-1.jpgChassis-2.jpgTranny-and-Transfer-Case.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay wait a minute, how did we 32 posts on this thread and I did not even see it!

Sweet , TWM is on a roll again. Lets find some wood to paint :)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caught me on a technicality Clinto. Actually beside the front bumper wood reinforcement there are oak fillers (unpainted) inside hat channels that are welded to floor pans of the GPW. I assume they are in the Willys MB versions as well. I stand corrected. :oops:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:p

I can't wait to see your painted wood.

Wait, that came out wrong.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Caught me on a technicality Clinto. Actually beside the front bumper wood reinforcement there are oak fillers (unpainted) inside hat channels that are welded to floor pans of the GPW. I assume they are in the Willys MB versions as well. I stand corrected. :oops:
Don't forget the wood blocks on the hood.:naner:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love how much we can learn on simple posts:). I hope some of us are reviewing the Nuclear plant safety manuals for errors!

lmao

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks