• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent 4 days entertaining some visitors from Australia but got back on my GPW today. Started by flushing the engine cooling system which had some rust colored water which I believe was from the radiator. Got it running clean and then ran some antifreeze through it which will sit in it until I can start the engine teardown. After that I drained the tranny and unfortunately there was some water in it so I took the cover off and it was in pretty good shape. Cleaned it up some and will tear it down also. Finally I flushed the transfer case and the oil was good so I just refilled the tranny and T/C with new gearlube for the time being.

The tub of my GPW is in pretty good shape but the front and rear floor panels need work. Leaned towards replacing the rear floor panel but believe I will just replace the bad areas with new 18 ga. metal and put in a new rear hat channel. Will also need to patch some areas on the side panels with new 20 ga. metal. Continue to collect parts to be used upon rebuild. Not too exciting but I have attached a few pictures.

Flushed-Engine.jpgTranny-and-Transfer-Case.jpgFront-Floor-Pan.jpgRear-Floor-Pan.jpgParts-Warehouse.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wow...looks like ya still have the T-84 trans. I betcha that rascal jumps outta gear in second and maybe third when ya let off the gas.:driver:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too exciting but I have attached a few pictures.

All pictures are exciting, what do thing we have better to do? Work real jobs?

No, we want to see other activities to motivate us to get our own done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for updates.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered two sheets of 18 ga. and 20 ga. sheet metal for my GPW tub repairs. Removed the Bubba modified rear tailgate which was unfortunately made out of the original Ford Script rear panel. Spent too much time removing the spot welds holding the two shock covers to the rear floor and side panels. This process is a real pain in the butt and I have many more to go. I am waiting on a new hat channel to support the rear floor which I will fabricate using one patch panel made from 18 ga. steel. I can splice it to the good metal around the floor edge and save about $300 on a replacement panel. Here are some pictures plus an image of the shock covers that have been ordered.

Current-Rear-Floor-Panel.jpgShock-Cover-Openings.jpgShock Covers.jpg

zout

Now I have been very tolerant - I gave ya that awesome tool a couple years ago to make that very easy Bro. Did ya sell it for CROWN $$$$$

That baby will look awesome like they always do TWM - piece by piece.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those who have done a frame off restoration know the work necessary to get down to the base parts in order to refurbish and assemble the parts for the final vehicle. My objective, as was with the WC51, is to end up with a vehicle that emulates the vehicle that rolled off the Ford assembly line in July of 1942. To get there you have to do a chit load of cleaning and cataloging before you can get to the fun work. So today I removed all the remaining items on the body tub including wiring, gauges, fuel lines and brackets, etc. This is in preparation for cutting away the Bubba rear panel and refurbishing the tub floor and reinstalling a reproduction rear panel and home fabricated floor panel.

The great thing about this project is that most parts are available as reproductions where on the WC51 is was a scavinger hunt. Here are a few pictures of the stripped tub. I have also included a picture of sign our visitors from Melbourne, Australia left us which just happen to express my feeling about my tools.

Bubba-Rear-Panel.jpgClean-Firewall.jpgClean-Tub.jpgTool-Rules.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back from the Rally and working on the GPW. Today I straightened and repaired the front frame horns damaged by installing the farm pipe bumper. After the frame work I test fitted the new front bumper gussets and bumper. All the measurements were within spec. Then I removed the front fenders and the grill to make way for the engine removal. More tomorrow.

Reproduction-Windshield.jpgTub.jpgNew-Bumper.jpgBumper-Gussets.jpgFender-and-Grill.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks