• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi NATCAD, but of course I do. Engine exhaust is not enough. You don't want to circulate hot air either. I made a hood for my gensets for inside or outside use. I run the engine and cooling exhaust thru the hood and connect it to a duct outside. Screen your intakes to keep wasps and bees out. I put some filter material between the intake screens in the door to keep the dirt / dust level down in the shed. I have a couple of extra fire extinguishers in case of a fuel fire. I also have a motion / door / temp monitor in the shed and in my fifth wheel so I know if anyone or anything happens while I am away

Ram1911

I think NFPA 30 applies no matter the jurisdiction (I'm probably wrong, but better safe than sued :) ) - thus the trip to the Fire Marshal. These are the guys who are going to be putting out your house or protecting it from your neighbor's property if that burns, just give them a chance to comment on it if you haven't already - this is for their safety as much as yours.
NFPA codes only apply where and how incorporated, since they are not laws in and of themselves. That said, they are good standards to adhere to unless a tougher standard is the law in your jurisdiction. If anything, they would help you in the event something bad did occur, your lawyer would have a better argument in a liability case.

Last edited:

Zed254

Where is the internal jumper that connects the equipment ground to the neutral? I have my mep002 hooked to my house and may have the neutral and equipment ground bonded.
I own an MEP-802A - the next generation of your machine. I suspect the bonding strap is located in the same place. Check out the picture: Notice the vertical strap on the lower right corner of the lug plate: this is the bonding strap that connects ground and neutral. Your machine should have something that looks like it. If all 4 conductors are tied into your house's electrical system you should eliminate this connection by swinging the strap away from the neutral post.

Attachments

rcamacho

Great thread. Really considering picking up a MEP-802 or MEP-803 as a standby generator for the house if I can pick up a decent running unit at local auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided that this is going to be my 15 year home and that we are done moving so I wanted a more permanent installation of my 10kW MEP-803A. I wanted a safe and legal means of connecting it directly to my service panel so that my wife can just throw one lever to restore power after starting the generator up. It made the most sense to me to go with the DPDT safety switch. The county inspector and GA Power were actually surprised to see that I went this route and actually left here smiling... Here are some pics of the finished job.

View attachment 511660View attachment 511659View attachment 511658View attachment 511661View attachment 511662View attachment 511663View attachment 511664View attachment 511665
Great work what was cost of manual switch ?

Glockfan

Great work what was cost of manual switch ?

If I recall correctly, the DPDT 200A Transfer switch was in the $600 range. They can be had cheaper. Check the auction sites. My 15-year home ended up being my three year home and now my family and the MEP803A are in Utah! I never would have imagined that happening...

Glockfan

Not yet but I have some “lessons learned” that I will apply to this install. For example, I intend to build my platform about 18”-24” higher. This will make it easier to service. My Utah install may incorporate an automatic transfer switch and will include the Inova Hightec autostart kit. More to come...

Chainbreaker

Not yet but I have some “lessons learned” that I will apply to this install. For example, I intend to build my platform about 18”-24” higher. This will make it easier to service.
Especially good to be that much higher with potential for snow drifts there. Lots of great sunny weather though...at least when I visited the area a few times!

4Rider

Glockfan,

thank you for posting this install. Have followed your post to hard wire my MEP-803A to run entire house. Now on step 2, sourced 91 gallons RDS aluminum tank. How is your auxiliary tank is working for you? You have connected your gen aux fuel line to the drain outlet on your tank via fuel filter. Have you noticed picking some water, slime or particles? Is your filter 10 micron? I was thinking using withdrawal port on the top of the tank and adding heavy duty fuel filter like one you have added. Top withdrawal port will allow for the pickup line to be at 1.5” above the bottom of the tank. Any disadvantage of drawing fuel from top port?

LEOK

NFPA 30 TANKS LESS THAN 275 gallons must be 5 feet space

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://ksentry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/72569521-Above-Ground-Tank-Installation-Relevant-NFPA-Code.pdf

[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks