• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connected my MEP-803A the proper way as my home standby generator... Install pics...

Glockfan

I decided that this is going to be my 15 year home and that we are done moving so I wanted a more permanent installation of my 10kW MEP-803A. I wanted a safe and legal means of connecting it directly to my service panel so that my wife can just throw one lever to restore power after starting the generator up. It made the most sense to me to go with the DPDT safety switch. The county inspector and GA Power were actually surprised to see that I went this route and actually left here smiling... Here are some pics of the finished job.

IMG_0232.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0238.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to check the NEC on grounding of generators. Your transfer switch doesn't switch the neutral and with that you don't bond the equipment ground at the generator end with the system ground. You should remove the ground rod wire at the generator end from the GND terminal and connect it to the equipment frame only. Also check to see if there is continuity between the GND term and the equipment frame. If so you need to remove the internal jumper to isolate the GND term from the equipment frame.

Looks great otherwise.

Last edited:

Glockfan

The internal jumper has been removed. The neutral and ground are not bonded together as they would be if the unit were "portable". The copper bar was removed...I pulled a permit with the county and the inspector passed everything. We had to add an additional ground rod at the house and add smoke detectors to all the bedrooms because we pulled a county electrical permit, to me, it was worth the expense and the red tape to insure there would be no scrutiny if there were ever a lineman involved in an accident. I know my generator will not be the cause...

tim292stro

That's probably the best DIY generator install I've seen in a while, and I'm glad to read that you did the permit and inspection for the work too - I've argued with people about that here before. A report like yours should show that is not difficult to do it right and encourage more to follow in your footsteps.

Bravo good sir, bravo!

Glockfan

Phase two will be an aluminum 90-gallon toolbox/diesel tank sitting on a similar platform near my generator. This will hold my reserve stash of diesel and will be plumbed to the aux fuel connection point on the genset. I figure 100 total gallons of diesel will power my home for ten continuous days. During last year's ice storm, we were out four days.

I'll likely exercise the whole setup once a month for about an hour with the house switched over. If something is going to break, I'd rather it go during my exercise periods versus at a time when I need it. I love wrenching on things and getting this sat up has been a hobby/something to keep me busy. Taking my time and doing it right feels good. I'll update the thread with pics of the aux tank setup...

tim292stro

One thing I've learned about mechanical systems in all my years, things break when they are going to break.

Your test regiment should include some kind of load test bi-annually, and your excersise only needs to get the generator's engine up to temperature - just to evaporate any condensation that has deposited in the engine - and re-coat the engine components with an oil film (which will keep the internal parts protected from new condensation). 15 minutes a week should do it.

Make sure you keep that external fuel tank full so you don't get water build up (water + diesel = algae, algae plugs fuel filters), and if you go crazy with making the system reliable, a fuel polishing system (pump, fine filter with water separator) that runs enough to do two full volume circulation before the weekly excersise should keep everything tidy.

Also, metal poisons diesel fuel if stored for a long time, so you might be interested in a diesel fuel stabilizer like Pri-D.

http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

Last edited:

Glockfan

Your test regiment should include some kind of load test bi-annually,
I guess I could really load the crap out of it bi-annually by turning on multiple resistive loads in my home until I think I reach the 10kW threshold or if I'm feeling particularly bold, I could hit the strip heat on my heat pump as a quasi load test.

I have ran everything in my home that I would reasonably use daily with the 803A and it chugs along effortlessly. Normal loads such as lights, tv's, etc. do not even move the needle on the load meter. When I turn on my central A/C, I hit a 30% load coupled with the aforementioned loads. I've had the oven, A/C, and other loads on the generator and have managed to get a 60% load out of it. Now I know if I turn the clothes dryer, emergency strip heat, run the water heater non-stop, etc. I will exceed its capability.

I can't understand why earlier posts I have read said that these TQG's are under powered as compared to the older air cooled 003's. Those loud air cooled 003's won't cut it where I live.

tim292stro

Getting it to 100% load for 30 minutes and giving it a run to 125% for temporary excursions will ensure the generator head and voltage regulator is working properly. The TM should have load test procedures in it.

Light loads won't test the generator properly, if you can't switch the house over to the generator and fully load it, a generator maintenance company should have access to a load bank that they can temporarily wire in for the test (usually trailer mounted).

Last edited:

Glockfan

I am betting that emergency strip heat will do it. It is on a 60A breaker and is a pure resistive load. I'll try it when it gets cooler outside. This 100-degree August heat is rough and I need to maintain my indoor cool air!

Glockfan

About to start phase two of the install. I have secured an RDS 90-gallon auxillary diesel tank which is constructed like an aluminium toolbox that mounts in the bed of a pickup truck. I am going to build a second level platform to mount my tank on and plumb it to the AUX fuel connection on the generator. Once all of this is complete, I am going to fence in the generator and fuel tank with a privacy fence. I will install a foot gate for service, kill the turf underneath the generator and fuel tank and spread gravel. I figure Round-Up will be easier than trying to mow/weed-eat inside the fenced area.

In the interim, I have made a few of my own tweaks to the 803 to make it more suburban friendly. I have removed all door stops because they tend to rattle. The cute box for documentation on the inside of one door was removed and all the data plates relocated to make way for a layer of thick 3M foam board to further cut down on noise. Important schematics were relocated via spray glue to the inside of the foam covered doors. The top cover was removed and underneath was covered in Dynamat asphalt mat. This already very quiet generator is even more quiet now and with the fence, I can't imagine it being any louder than a central A/C unit running.

I wired up the lights on three of the gauges so that when I turn the panel lights on the gauges illuminate. That took five minutes. I removed the idiot guards from each side of the radiator. Added a 24v Solargizer battery maintainer. Sprayed the entire genset flat brown.

I will be sort of bummed out when I finish all of this. I actually enjoy monkeying with it. I guess I will count on running it once a month to exercise it and hope for a storm...

Glockfan

Ok, here's are a couple of pics of the tank I plan to use. Once I get started, pictures will be posted of the install. Also, I'll post pics of my self installed ASK.

Attachments

Last edited:

Glockfan

Ok, here are some useful pics. You will see a picture of the area where the generator currently sits. This was the only logical place to put it in my yard. I wanted it obscured and had the uneven ground to contend with so I had to build a raised platform to allow storm water runoff to flow underneath. I knew I couldn't build a berm because I didn't want to dam up water in my backyard when we have the occasional downpour. The two hedges to the right of the 803 are going away to make room for the aux fuel tank. I'm building a platform of similar height, maybe higher for the tank.

in the other pics, you will see where I mounted my solar battery charger. Inside one door, you will see my added country boy ASK in the form of Dow foam board. On the inside of the top panel and throughout the generator, there are pieces of asphalt sound deadening mat. I used the "GT Mat" sold on eBay which cost me about $40 for a four door kit. The Dow foam board I had laying around. I spray glued the foam board to the doors.

In another picture you will see where I wired my instrument lights up. Since we are not in a combat environment, white light is much needed over the dim green lights. I took one length of wire and picked up switched power at DS1 and hit the light bulbs that were already installed. This was a five minute mod.

More pics will come...

Attachments

Glockfan

Glockfan, Awesome job! What size panel do you have in your house? 100amp?
I have 200A service and therefore used an entrance rated 200A DPDT safety switch as a manual transfer switch. works flawlessly. Also made GA Power and the inspector very happy. With a totally manual transfer system, I will not know when power is restored so I am considering installing a low voltage "utility power returned" alarm and locating it inside my house. It is not top priority but may save me some diesel down the road...

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very cheap way to see Utility power is back on is to pick up 120 volts from the utility side of transfer switch and install a LED light fixture. Like a very small night light that is on whenever utility power is on, if its off your on gen if its one turn gen off. I use this at 3 fire stations and it works very well.

Glockfan

A very cheap way to see Utility power is back on is to pick up 120 volts from the utility side of transfer switch and install a LED light fixture. Like a very small night light that is on whenever utility power is on, if its off your on gen if its one turn gen off. I use this at 3 fire stations and it works very well.
I tend to overcomplicate things... Something as simple as an LED nightlight would suffice and I never thought about doing that.

Glockfan

So I cleared the hedges this morning and sat the tank where I planto build the platform. If I'm motivated, I'll dig the post holes this evening and install the posts this week. I'll likely have the tank finished up sometime this week or by next weekend.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks