• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 151 A1 Vehicle Identification Number

Bucolic

Does anyone know if there is a Vehicle Identification Number stamped on the body somewhere? I'm trying to register my jeep that I just bought but I'm having a couple of problems.
It has been registered here in California already but it's been on a "Non-Op" for several years. When I went to get it re-registered, there was no year model listed on the pink slip nor was there any Vehicle ID. I would assume that if I can find a Vehicle ID # somewhere on the jeep, the year model would be incorporated somewhere in that number.
Data plates are missing by the way.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your only hope is if you can find the Army registration number painted or painted over on the hood. This number is the same as the VIN, which is ONLY stamped on the main data plate. The Budd serial number plate under the hood does not relate to the VIN. The year of Army acceptance (essentially the build year) is coded in the Army registration number, so if you can find it, post it up here and we will decode it.

cobra5

Without the data plates its a crap shoot. However, on the center of the firewall there should be a BUDD # if you get in touch with the muttguru on the g838.org site he can get you in the ballpark for a year. You can than take that info and find a replacement data plate and stamp that info on the data plate. If you have hood numbers that info will also help him. Good Luck!

Bucolic

I will check the firewall. There's nothing else there. The hood has no numbers on it, it fact the hood paint is mostly gone. Thanks for the help.

cobra5

If you are sure its a M151-A1 than the years produced would be 1965-1969. They did start the design change in 1964 so it could be a late 64. If your horn has its data tag on it there will be a date on it as well. You could use that date if all else fails because unlike engines and transmission that most likely are not original to the jeep, a horn seldom was changed. Another thing you can do is look down on the passenger side of the engine. The frame could have a foil tag on it which would put it in the 64 category but even with the known early ones these tags are usually missing because they a just a flimsy piece of foil. Did you find the BUDD tag on the firewall?

AMGeneral

I do have a question on a M151A1 serial #

Would a USMC issued M151 have the serial # starting with USMC?

Mine has that preceeding the serial # on the data plate.

It is a 4-67 DOD Ford Motor Co. product

Bucolic

The Guru got back to me and I may have my problems all solved, thanks to him. He identified my Mutt as having been delivered in Sept or Oct of 1969 AND he told me the BUDD # IS a VIN. Planning on visiting DMV to see if things are now sorted out. I'll let you know.

cobra5

I do have a question on a M151A1 serial #

Would a USMC issued M151 have the serial # starting with USMC?

Mine has that preceeding the serial # on the data plate.

It is a 4-67 DOD Ford Motor Co. product
Yes, I have a 1968 and it has the USMC stamped before the number. Although my A-2 is a USMC unit, it isn't stamped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks