• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intake flame heater delete

Katahdin

I wrestled with that plug (bottom-front of the IP) this past weekend. I used a steel hex plug which I think was a little easier then a brass square plug would be.

The plug stayed on the hex drive with the help of a small earth magnet. To get it started, I held a drive extension in my left hand, and used a hooked wire to guide the hex socket in with right hand. I also used a swivel/ujoint adapter between the socket and the extension. These were all 1/4" drive.

Still, it was a pain, and I very afraid I would cross-thread the plug once I put torque to it, but it's in there with teflon tape on the outer threads. Improvise! Adapt! Overcome!

nchittendon

Well, it's taken me a while, but i'm finally starting on this project. I bought a spin on fuel filter kit, and figured since I was "opening up" the fuel system, I would delete this bugger finally.

I had bought the napa number that were listed prior many moons ago. The plug for the spark plug (m18 one) fit perfectly. The M20 for the nozzle, not so much. I'm in the process of planning my attack. My local hydraulic shop said no. My local auto parts store had "ideas" but would have to order everything. Someone mentioned an 02 sensor out of a 90's cadillac 4.9 liter engine??

And lastly, that fitting on the bottom of the injection pump. The nut that holds the line with the 7/16 was easy. Cramped, but easy. The 9/16 fitting......nope. nope. nope. Taken two stabs at it now. Yesterday bought a plug to thread into it, and i'm hoping that will do the trick.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did mine, seems like I had the same experience you're having with the intake elbow plugs, one fit properly, while the other threaded in, but the threads were obviously loose. Given the fact that I'll most likely never remove those plugs, and that I didn't see the need for the plug threads to have any preload or torque, I just applied some RTV to the threads and flange of the loose one, threaded it in by hand, and let it cure overnight. It's been about a year/5,000 mi. No problems.
IMG_20180628_112642962_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When I did mine, seems like I had the same experience you're having with the intake elbow plugs, one fit properly, while the other threaded in, but the threads were obviously loose. Given the fact that I'll most likely never remove those plugs, and that I didn't see the need for the plug threads to have any preload or torque, I just applied some RTV to the threads and flange of the loose one, threaded it in by hand, and let it cure overnight. It's been about a year. No problems.
View attachment 732822
Cause any fitting that pipe plugs are loose in are boss threads in stead. Half inch pipe will fit in alot of stuff and hold but boss is the actual thread type.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cause any fitting that pipe plugs are loose in are boss threads in stead. Half inch pipe will fit in alot of stuff and hold but boss is the actual thread type.
From post #88; " It is a 20.5 mm with a thread pitch of 1.25mm..."
Would you happen to have a source/part# for a Boss plug that would work for that size/pitch?
Seems like 20.5x 1.25 would be awful close to 13/16-20, for which I can find taps, dies, and testers, but no plugs.

Last edited:

nchittendon

When I did mine, seems like I had the same experience you're having with the intake elbow plugs, one fit properly, while the other threaded in, but the threads were obviously loose. Given the fact that I'll most likely never remove those plugs, and that I didn't see the need for the plug threads to have any preload or torque, I just applied some RTV to the threads and flange of the loose one, threaded it in by hand, and let it cure overnight. It's been about a year/5,000 mi. No problems.
View attachment 732822
I was going to just go this route and use jb weld instead. I figure i'll never need this hole again for anything.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh, and about flame heater

I still remember the cold ..................
22°F in motor pool, 1969 , and me trying to Please in just a field jacket.
I the only one left of the battalion, 800 guys gone.
They left with everything.

There is nothing in the motor pool but that one truck, One Truck wouldn't go.
I spec 4, 91B2P, He full bird colonel, I his driver.

He suggests I get the truck running, might need it........
I find a Deuce no winch with a "D", but what the **** I don't know all that.
The only thing there within a few hundred yards

Silly, just that one truck out there, wind howling
She has Placards all over the dashboard.
Never seen one before.

I did what the placards said to do, third try, or was it the fifth?,
chattering teeth, orders, and She runs.......... I so glad I not gonnah die today
....no freakin heater, sent them all to Viet Nam

I reported back to my wholly unimpressed Full bird,
Him asking about His jeep.
Apparently if one has an entire clan of mechanics to keep the trucks up
then no alteration would ever be needed, some are new and have not had fluids movin.
You decide
Airborne backround.jpg

and I know what fittings are needed to plug either end of it

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks