• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Spindle Bearing Spanner

01flhtc

What is the correct spanner to get and where to get it to disassemble and assemble the rear brake drum? I have searched but, I am unable to find the information.

Drock

Mine came off with just ah flat head screw driver. You mite try that first before shelling out the $35.00..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you properly set the bearing preload with your screwdriver?

Keith_J

50 foot pounds, then loosen to align the key, that 50 foot pounds is to clear thick grease. If you know what you are doing, it isn't hard with improvised tools. I made my own wrench for the axles, took just a few minutes.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, it's like foot pounds, but with a hammer... Ah...

What is the conversion from ft/lbs to ham/lbs?

Drock

Well for starters it wasn't that tight to begin with. Which is why I was able to easily tap it out with the screw driver in the first place. Secondly I've always done bearing preload by feel rather then a torque wrench. A torque wrench can't feel if the wheel is too loose or too tight. Just my opinion...

Keith_J

Well for starters it wasn't that tight to begin with. Which is why I was able to easily tap it out with the screw driver in the first place. Secondly I've always done bearing preload by feel rather then a torque wrench. A torque wrench can't feel if the wheel is too loose or too tight. Just my opinion...
And you are absolutely correct. Feel is far more important than torque, for one the bearings and their races are hardened steel, the threads on the nut and axle housing have **** near ZERO deflection from 50 foot pounds, considering area of thread engagement and cross sectional areas.
Now, the belt and suspender crowd that have lost feeling in their extremities feel the joy of using a $500 digital torque wrench because it covers up their lack of knowledge about what they are doing. Cargo cultism.

That 50 pound feet of torque assures the roller elements have displaced the layer of grease applied to the races and what is properly mashed into the cages, assuring a line contact of each roller to the mating races. Backing off to the next index slot means there is now space for grease with minimal slop. These are NOT spring preload bearings (like kingpin bushings in the upper knuckle of the Dana 60 axle).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks