• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled the trigger, Mutt is home!

elkhtr

Safe recovery!
A little rust in the floor boards, undercarriage looks great.
Engine needs a little attention, idles good, acts like it starves out about mid throttle.
Noisiest vehicle I have ever owned, lots of clunking to be chased down.
Having never owned one of these I don't know what normal is.
Let the fun begin!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why didn't you let the dog ride?!

elkhtr

Got the little dings tapped out of the hood then sanded and repainted it today, came out pretty good.
looks like I am going to be in the market for a rear differential.
Making a heck of a racket back there at anything past first gear.
All good though, fully expected to do some tinkering.

Not sure how loud your differential is, but they do make quite a bit of noise due to being mounted directly to the unibody. I thought the same thing with mine, but after tearing it down I found little wear. Make sure it's full of gear oil. Looks like a nice ride. You stole it at that price.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Got the little dings tapped out of the hood then sanded and repainted it today, came out pretty good.
looks like I am going to be in the market for a rear differential.
Making a heck of a racket back there at anything past first gear.
All good though, fully expected to do some tinkering.
If you do need a rear differential I'm told that the 1100 series are an improvement over the 875 series. Numbers should be cast into the housing. If you haven't already, check out G838.org website - it's all and only M151. Lots of good info on there.

cobra5

Congrats on the jeep. I seen that posting but got busy and didn't get a chance to call the PO until later in the day. When I did have time to call him he said someone was coming by the next day to look at it. He told me to call him the next day but I knew with the number of collectors out your way it was as good as gone. The asking price and the way it was listed I knew he wasn't one of the OD crowd here. Glad to see someone here bought it and thanks for saving me the trip to get it. Lol!

elkhtr

Not sure how loud your differential is, but they do make quite a bit of noise due to being mounted directly to the unibody. I thought the same thing with mine, but after tearing it down I found little wear. Make sure it's full of gear oil. Looks like a nice ride. You stole it at that price.
Not knowing what is normal for this vehicle puts me at a small disadvantage.
It is up on stands right now, I will post a video in a bit and maybe you guys can tell me what you think.

elkhtr

Differential noise

Here is a video of the differential noise, and a couple pics of how the hood cleaned up.
If I stop the non driven wheel from spinning it gets much quieter.
Also, the faster you go the louder it gets.
Opinions?

Attachments

Last edited:

Whiterabbit

The rear end does make some noise and the metal rear floor amplifies it since it's bolted to it. Unless it sounds like a pencil sharpener eating metal I'd say it good. LOL!
If in doubt, pull the drain plug. You are going to need to flush all the fluids anyway. A little silver in the oil is ok, alot or bits of metal isn't. Using a thick gear oil in them helps too.
It takes a grease gun with a needle to get some of the u joints on the drive shaft. FYI
Again, good score, fun lil jeeps!

nattieleather

Here are some things to check. I heard that rattle in the video, but not sure if it's the diff or a u-joint. So, check the fluid in the diff. In fact just drain and refill. The drain plug should have a little magnet on the end of it. Look for metal flakes. Like posted above. Check the u-joints make sure they are tight and have grease in them. You have 12 u-joints on that thing. (4 on each axle and 2 on each drive shaft). Also you'll notice that the diffs can be mounted front or rear and that each has a flange on them that has a nut. You see one spinning in the video. Check the nuts on there to make sure that the flange isn't loose and that you have no front to back play in the diffs.

Other than that good find and everyone hates you because of the price you stole it for...lol. :lol: The diffs will make noise and as long as it's not so loud that it drowns out everything else you should be fine. But check those things to be sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks