• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

peashooter

Yikes!
Here is my window advice also: when I painted my 109 I masked off the windows and then used a knife to trim the masking tape a little better..... but when I removed the mask after paint I found a few windows with big cracks in them that must have formed from the accidental (and very light) score marks. The glass is soft on these!
I also replaced the wood cores with plastic pieces that I cut down on a table saw.

peashooter

I was wanting to do the same thing. Can you tell me where did you source the plastic to create the window pieces?
I know I bought the plastic from Mcmaster.com but I cant remember what size it was. I think I tried to find something about the same size as the wood and then I used the table saw to cut the dado grooves in it that the metal window halves pinch onto. I also ran stainless 8-32 screws & locknuts though the parts so the windows wouldn't be able to separate in the future.... so I probably didn't need to do the dado cuts and crimp the metal windows again but I did anyway.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like all of the floods you installed under the truck! I also like the extra signal lamps! I'm glad you tested your emergency air cut off. You know what to do if that engine ever runs away on you!

:goodjob:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like all of the floods you installed under the truck! I also like the extra signal lamps! I'm glad you tested your emergency air cut off. You know what to do if that engine ever runs away on you!

:goodjob:
Thanks Mark. I like to be able to see and be seen. Old age and all. Can't do the shut down while driving, but I think it could be handled with the trans., clutch and brakes then.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, still trying to catch up on the backlog of build pics and dialog. First pic is of my highly technical repair/modification shop. Well, backyard. Wish I had a 109 sized garage to work in. Oh well. Next couple of pics I may have already posted, my dash clock and Jeep CJ grab bar. Snug fit, but it fits. Next project was my headliner with overhead console/radio set. I wanted to have LED indicator lamps for all of the added circuits so I knew when I shut down the truck that all loads were off. So I fabbed up on a sheet metal brake a panel box for my indicator lamps, compass, pyro gauge and a boost gauge. Also installed a variable electric wiper control. I also mounted a Yaesu FT-2900R 2-meter radio, a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB radio, and a marine CD stereo. Once I figured the plywood size, I mounted it with self tapping screws to the roof reinforcement strips and started the component layout. Cont. next post.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continuing on with the headliner/radio install. Once I figured out the locations of everything, I was able to start the wiring. Needed to wire the indicator panel, radio's, speakers and antenna's. I Used a mirror mount for the 2-meter on the left side and a mirror mount for the CB on the right side. Used a rubber ducky in the center of the roof for the stereo. Will need to revisit the antenna locations once I build the cabover. More pics of the wiring as I ran it for the overhead. Once the wiring was roughed in, started on the half inch foam padding and headliner cloth. After that was done, could do final install on the panel and radio's. I applied some tacky indicator labels for now so I know what each lamp is for. Some pics of my two added fuse blocks, one for 24 volt, and one for 12 volt. I ran each of these off of a high amp continuous duty solenoid switched with respective dash toggles. That way I can turn off all accessories associated with each block. Also have a dedicated circuit breaker for each panel in the battery compartment. Also pictured is the breaker for the 24v/12v 100 amp converter located near the passenger seat belt retractor on the cab rear wall. I relocated the hardtop data plate to the rear roof area.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot the indicator label pic and a pic of the converter, located over the battery compartment. Also included a battery compartment pic with 3 batteries and a threaded rod holddown. Some pics of a couple of LED dome lamps I installed. Mounted them so they illuminate the door steps as well as the interior. Couple of pics of the stereo speaker mounting. I wanted some extra storage so made a sheet metal cubby bin for overhead and to the right of the radio's. Has a lip to keep stuff in. CD case etc. fits there well. Placed a PA speaker on the left frame rail near the IP.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few up to date pics of the cab interior. I installed a couple of level gauges and also a small AC inverter. Figured a bumper mounted vice would be handy, is mounted on a 2" receiver so it can be removed when not needed.

Attachments

rustystud

WOW Scott ! Your dash is looking more like a airplane cockpit ! I also love your vise on the bumper ! I think I will also get an inverter after seeing yours !

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW Scott ! Your dash is looking more like a airplane cockpit ! I also love you vise on the bumper ! I think I will also get an inverter after seeing yours !
Ha ha, thanks rustystud. Not so sure about the cockpit, but I like to know what is going on. Vice is handy, had it laying around. Inverter is a low cost addition, never know when you might want ac power in the cab.

bigugh20

Forgot the indicator label pic and a pic of the converter, located over the battery compartment. Also included a battery compartment pic with 3 batteries and a threaded rod holddown. Some pics of a couple of LED dome lamps I installed. Mounted them so they illuminate the door steps as well as the interior. Couple of pics of the stereo speaker mounting. I wanted some extra storage so made a sheet metal cubby bin for overhead and to the right of the radio's. Has a lip to keep stuff in. CD case etc. fits there well. Placed a PA speaker on the left frame rail near the IP.
Take a look at the side battery posts, in the picture they look very, very close. I'd look for a sheet of melamine or thick plastic to wedge in-between those suckers. Not trying to be negative or take away from your build, it is outstanding. That just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks