• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New restoration project M100 "Tubby" 9.6.14

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one of those great texts from a friend who said one of his friends has a military trailer for sale. "Are you interested?" The answer was h.ll yes :)

So I found 1951 M100 that had been in the Foresty dept until the last 2 years.

Warp commander has under his control and awaiting action

Here are some pics

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410439202.133735.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410439221.166125.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410439240.332800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410439260.099336.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410439276.815866.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen thanks for updates and ideas. As you know everyone is hacking these apart for expedition trailers so the decision was to put the back on the trailer and make it back into a true tub. I could spend the 400 plus on a new floor but warp commander Zout has stated let me at it and will fix it. It will not be a trailer queen but intact enough so that it stays in as close to original as possible.

I am following papabear's lead which is restore what is there but leave the aging process in place like a fine whiskey. So that said we are going to try and save the floor. The next guy can replace and make a trailer queen

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That said the MDjuan floors are cheap, has anyone bought one and can vouch for quality, thickness etc?

zout

Besides when I am done I am water testing it before PB's DUKW has a chance to float - I need a canoe paddle so I can go down yellow river.

I have the metal for the back end and expect no later than Sat to get onto it so hang in there - another project on the garage floor with two squirrels making a BBQ grill for their school project - almost done with it. Geeze - that makes 3 projects I have going.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will supply the paddle if you are comfortable it will float and take the pictures.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow pretty cool, Zout you have any of that butt ugly navy blue left over from Ferro's M37?

Let's make this official

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully Tubbie gets some attention this weekend from Commander Z!

Here is an example of the Expedition Trailer, this one is over the top and very nice work. This is a huge market now for the Preppers and Jeep crowd. The sad part is they are eating all the M100 and M416 inventory.

Attachments

zout

Got the trailer into the garage this morning - I was going to take a pic of it running over me trying to roll it down my stupid steep driveway - but my life overruled taking a pic for ya folks. IF you want to see pics of tire tread on my BUD belly I can oblidge ya all - but it is gross looking. I heard severe laughter from top of the hill - it sounded like "that is the stupidest thing I have seen you do so far" - but the echo withered away when the trailer was running over me. It finally settled where Ferro crashed the 37 on pick up so nothing was damaged more.

No pics - But I think details pretty much covers the insanity of it all.

zout

Got started on the baby trailer - angle cut out that was welded in on the bed to rear crossmember. Cut out all the welds along the bed to crossmember so I could clean out the top of that crossmember (heavy flaked rust in it) so I have it clean and reclamped to tack it back in place. That is the sheet of metal that will get fabbed in so it can float once again. Once that rear area is done the rest will go like butter.DSCN0662.jpgDSCN0663.jpgDSCN0664.jpgDSCN0666.jpgDSCN0667.jpgDSCN0668.jpgDSCN0669.jpgDSCN0670.jpg

zout

Kinda think Swiss went over Niagra falls in this trailer - boy is it out of square.
Got some stuff lined up and sheet cut - got some stuff tack welded in and will work on the other side tomorrow - just gotta take some time to get it all lined up. Had lots of small areas to grind to square and that took some precious time.

Did not want to put a lot of tack weld heat to the panel as to not distort it. Little by little (kinds looks like a minature tank - Swiss - ya need a cannon on it).DSCN0671.jpgDSCN0672.jpgDSCN0673.jpgDSCN0674.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks