• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 install in stock M1028?

Corvette1974

Yea it takes a full mainshaft swap. Pretty good job. But if you can get the bell at a reasonable price and it was for a diesel, you are doing well
10-4 I'll pick up the bell and related stuff. It was from a diesel. I'd do the swap but the parts alone are like half the cost of the right transmission. So I figure, just get the right part to start.

Will

Corvette1974

Just a small update for you guys: I got the pedal assembly, clutch hydraulics with pre-modified line, and the flywheel. The truck had 450,000 miles so it has some clutch pedal shaft wear, I'll weld that up no problem. I also got an underhood light from a GMT400 and the 2WD crossmember, It might be able to be modded to serve as the 4" that needs to be made up. It's got a big hump. No bellhousing, he wouldn't split it. So at this point I just need a trans and bellhousing. They seem hard to find around me, if any of you have one for sale let me know!

Will

Doing the swap in my M1031 soon... Gathering parts now ie the post 96 nv4500 and a late np205 (85-91) bought à new nv4500 and a NP205. Used thè 1.625 adapteŕ / spacer from advanced adapters... and the aa bellhousing as well.. found a piece of rectangular 1/4" wall tubing to build a crossmember out of. Used the tc shifter bracket for the factory tc shifter and made it a bit stiffer with àn addition of a 7/16 bolt from the rìght side of the cast iron tailhousing.. found pedals at a local wrecking yard for 25.00 and a steering collum out of a 1985 chevy truck for 75.00...... got the nv4500 foŕ arounď 1600.00 and paiď 1500.00 for thè tc..midwesttrans.com for thè NV4500 and the Brand new NP205 transfer case If you opt for the advance adapter beĺlhousing get it from aa direct....as if they send you the wrong part its alot less hasslè to have them fix their screwup..

Last edited:
Are you suggesting using a stock bell from a cucv vintage truck or one from the vintage of the transmission (mine is a 2001) vintage? The bell from thè cucv vintage wont work (im sure you're aware of this).
The bell from the 96 (2nd design nv4500) up chevy wont work as it is mounted in the wrong location ie passenger side about 4:30 on the clock facing the rear of engine... so the AA bell is just about the only game in town so to speak.

All that looks good except the bellhousing. You can use a stock one, bolts right up

rlltide12

Mines a 93 bell with the passenger side slave. Clears the driveshaft with a 6 inch lift and looks like it would with a 4 inch lift

Think about it like this if you run an internal slave and it leaks you have 2 problems you have 300+ lb trans and tc you will need to pull to replace or repair and depending on how bad the leak you might have to deal with a disc and pressure plate thats covered with hydraulic fluid or brake fluid. On the other hand use an external slave and you dont have to pull a 300+ lb trans and tc and much less of a chance that you ruined a (in my case a $500+ clutch)
So with some more searching I found that external slave is a problem. So one can either use a GM internal slave set up for a GEN 1 engine, or get the advance adapters kit. Both are '96 up options. I think that is my best bet.

Will

rlltide12

Ahh the key to this is you have the 1st design 92-94 and
..I have the 2nd 95 up. The mounting bolt pattern and the pilot aka index is also different between the two.
Im not going to say you are wrong, but if you have a stock gm nv bell housing, it will bolt up to the back of a 6.2 no matter the year. Now, that said, the 92-94 nv bolt pattern is different from the 95+ nv but only between the trans and bell housing. The input shaft pilot position is the same across all years but is not interchangeable across all years. The difference is the 95+ bell uses an internal slave vs the external on the 92-94.

rlltide12

Sounds like you have an oddball nv4500 maybe from behind a cummuns or out of a bread truck or something. If it is from a gm truck, it will bolt right up to our 6.2s.

My nv4500 is brand new it has the gm codes of a 2001 according to the advance adapter bible , so that means its the 2nd gèneration
, link to the bolt patterns follows. Mine is the 1996+ with the 5
600 bearing retainer index aka transmission pilot (not to be confused with input shaft pilot) my input shaft is a chevy 1
250 dia 10 spline with a .590 pilot

Oh and it has a cast iron tailhousing as well, The bellhousing is an advance adapters # 712576 the part that I could use some assistance with is finding the correct clutch fork, throw out bearing, and bearing retainer...thats the ìtem the throw out bearing rides on.
I know that the 2001 8.1 chevy engine used an internal slave but im attempting to find a fork and to bearing make this work wìth an external slave...I have a dodge bearing retainer and throwout so Im basically looking for the right fork to work with what i have

This transmission is going into a 1984 M1028 with a 454 gas engine conversion, with my own design disc brake conversion on the 14bolt rear differential. And yes the eng to trani bolt pattern is the same 350, 454 or 6.2l

https://www.google.com/search?q=nv4...qjISAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=360&bih=615&dpr=4

Aa nv4500 Bible https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...xOQOLt_jnUK2nnbtg&sig2=ryuCENhdMQ8QJ8VgsnEq0Q

Last edited:

Batzen

Just FYI. I just did this swap. Since i am lifted i cant speak to the driveline issues. But i can tell you this. The 208 bolts up. The th400 and the nv4500 are roughly the same length. You can use your stock crossmember, all you have to do is use 2" square tubing and make a 4" tall mount with it. You do not have to modify anything else other than cut a hole in the floor. All my transfer case linkage fit just like i still had the th400 in it.
That is some very useful information thank you!
I'm planning to do a cummins/NV4500 swap.

Corvette1974

Alright so I'm getting my 1995 NV4500 this weekend. I have everything else except bell at that point. You guys mention the front driveshaft clearance. Will it clear stock as I've been told?

Will

rlltide12

Hmmmm. Id be willing to bet it will hit. I heard someone else talking about that. You may need a custom bell for that transmission to enable the internal slave cylinder. Check with advance adaptors and see if they offer an internal slave setup

Corvette1974

I don't have the bell so that is good/bad if I need to go that route. I've heard from a few including Southdave on this forum that it isn't an issue. I guess we'll find out. I don't really want to lift the truck because I don't plan on changing tires and don't want to change the look/function. 2'' max if anything.

If you get a spare second, could you grab some dimensions of like where the external slave is in relation to the starter - So I can get a mental image of where it will be and if it will clear? If not that's ok haha

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks