• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 134 minigun replica build, Terminator style

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks awesome!! Awaiting further developments!! (I might have had toooooo much time with the plastic cement when I was a kid building 1l35th scale stuff! LOL)

God bless,
Tony

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its ok with everyone and the forum moderator Id love to keep showing you guys some updates and because I built the handle assembly to come off the gun just like the real thing, I can make my vehicle mount to fit this replica on this thread as well?

By all means continue on.

Lordragnar

Alrighty then! Yes I have yet to see any replicas of the M134 that aren't the $1500 airsoft versions. Since I didn't have that much cash to drop on a replica, and with M134's being mounted on a lot of mraps and Humvees as of late, I really wanted to build a super accurate version for myself. So I will continue on. In these next pics I have started the weathering, which is mostly airbrushing. This is the base coat, I will be putting this thing through several steps of weathering to make it look well worn. Little bit of shading and scratching as well as trying to source a G.E. plaque for the side of the gun. Here area couple of pics.
mini44.jpgmini46.jpgmini49.jpgmini47.jpgmini53.jpg

Lordragnar

Here are some close ups of the delinker, feeder, as stated in an alternate thread, this is a complex assembly to scratchbuild, but if you take your time and just build it piece by piece, its not to bad. I just started with three different sizes of pvc pipe and started adding layers of styrene and detail. I used a couple of different 1/6th scale references, it seems to be the earliest G.E. delinker. When Dillion Aero took over and modded the guns, they made a slightly different feeder, aimed for use with helicopter mounts it seems, the ejection ports for spent cases and links being the main design change.

mini45.jpgmini50.jpgmini51.jpgmini52.jpg

Another Ahab

Clearly, this is not your first rodeo:

- What's the story on how you got started on your scale modeling?

- And what other kind of modeling work have you done? Pictures?

Lordragnar

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! this has been a tough project and I hope it helps anyone who has wanted one of these mini monsters mounted on their vehicles :-D

Here are some shots of the barrels, once again this is just the first stage of major painting, there are many more layers for it to go through until it starts looking real. The barrels are pvc tube, two different sizes btw, a lot of people building this replics forget that the inner barrels(the ones closer to the main body of the gun have thicker sleeves over them. I have to give credit where credit is due, the only pieces I did not make on this replica are the barrel holders, the little discs that hold all the barrels in formation. They were made by a gentleman going by the name "killbucket". He makes minigun replicas and plans. I didn't use any of his other plans or replica parts on this gun, just the discs.

mini55.jpgmini54.jpgmini57.jpgmini58.jpg

Lordragnar

That is neat. It would be great as a dummy gun on an MV. I have not seen anything I like in resin or the price on metal replicas.
Have you seen a resin replica? If so Id like to know where, I know that a couple of companies have made metal airsoft versions, and they are super nice and very accurate, but they cost like $1500. Id be curious to see a resin 1/1 scale replica!

Lordragnar

Clearly, this is not your first rodeo:

- What's the story on how you got started on your scale modeling?

- And what other kind of modeling work have you done? Pictures?
Thanks man! Well I ve been building models and repainting props and scratchbuilding props for almost 20 years now. I started and still build 1/35 scale armor and figures. also dabble in SciFi figures and vehicles. A buddy of mine wanted some custom work done on a star wars prop so that's how I started working on fullsize stuff. The minigun this thread is devoted to is my first real solid attempt at a complete scratchbuild. I think because I love the weapon so much it has turned out as well as it has. I really poured a lot of sweat and blood into this beast. Heres a couple of photos of some of my work. I plan on highlighting some of these with their own threads (as well as better pics, but this will give you guys a taste of what my world looks like. Also , thank you so much for the praise, I really appreciate all the positive feedback and If anyone ever wants a help with a project for one of their full size vehicles, let me know. I hear a lot about people wanting dummy Fifties for turret mounts and that's got me thinking I may try my hand at that. If I can build a M134, I can prolly build a 50cAL.

WP_20140925_022.jpgWP_20140925_021.jpgWP_20140925_020.jpgWP_20140925_014.jpgWP_20140925_015.jpg

Lordragnar

OK heres a couple more then back to some more updates on the M134 this weekend. Im sourcing some parts for the pivot mount and rear grips for the vehicle mount, but Iv e done a little more painting on it and will show you guys this sunday.

BTW Im new to the forum and I don't want to break any rules but I am wondering were I should go to find help finding some 7.62 flex chute. Doesn't haveto be in good condition, its just to complete this dummy gun, but I am a bit ignorant in sourcing that stuff and everywhere I have seen it for sale it costs an arm and a leg, I have to think someone or some salvage yard has some rusting in a corner somewhere, any help on that would be appreciated, if its appropriat to the forum.

WP_20140925_017.jpgWP_20140925_019.jpgWP_20140925_005.jpgWP_20140925_023.jpgWP_20140925_012.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! this has been a tough project and I hope it helps anyone who has wanted one of these mini monsters mounted on their vehicles :-D

Here are some shots of the barrels, once again this is just the first stage of major painting, there are many more layers for it to go through until it starts looking real. The barrels are pvc tube, two different sizes btw, a lot of people building this replics forget that the inner barrels(the ones closer to the main body of the gun have thicker sleeves over them. I have to give credit where credit is due, the only pieces I did not make on this replica are the barrel holders, the little discs that hold all the barrels in formation. They were made by a gentleman going by the name "killbucket". He makes minigun replicas and plans. I didn't use any of his other plans or replica parts on this gun, just the discs.

View attachment 517686View attachment 517682View attachment 517688View attachment 517689
I gotta tell ya... I REALLY like that mini!![thumbzup]

Just for grins and giggles...if a feller asked ya to make another one like it...what do you think you would have to charge for it?

Lordragnar

I gotta tell ya... I REALLY like that mini!![thumbzup]

Just for grins and giggles...if a feller asked ya to make another one like it...what do you think you would have to charge for it?
Hmm well Ive never thought about that, but In the neighborhood of $500 to $700. I know that sounds like a lot, but having to build this beast from scratch involves a lot of man hours! There are a few thing I could probably do differently now to save time and work, but Ive got about 200 hours into this beast so far. Thanks you so much for the positive feedback, Im really loving this thing, and loving the feedback Im getting! Got more pics coming in a few posts

Lordragnar

Pretty sharp. I mean your work looks like something out of a Smithsonian exhibit, or something. Real nice. You build all these from scratch? Figures and everything?
Dude, thank you so much! Most of the model kits I posted are 1/35 scale kits (with the exeption of the M10, which is a Tamiya 1/48th) and all of the figures are modified, with some scratchbuilt and sculpted detail. I make a lot of the accessories myself out of styrene and sculpt a lot of accessories. The M48 (Vietnam era) has sandbangs that I individually sculpted and numerous details I added. I was going for the "mobile pill box" look. Thank you so much again man, it means a lot to me, I put a lot of work into all my kits. Ive got a lot to show you guys, Sheridans, Humvees, PMC highlux diorama, MLRS, Bradley(with tow missile wire still hanging out of the launcher), M48s, M113s, and lions and tigers and bears. . . .

Another Ahab

Dude, thank you so much! Most of the model kits I posted are 1/35 scale kits (with the exeption of the M10, which is a Tamiya 1/48th) and all of the figures are modified, with some scratchbuilt and sculpted detail. I make a lot of the accessories myself out of styrene and sculpt a lot of accessories. The M48 (Vietnam era) has sandbangs that I individually sculpted and numerous details I added. I was going for the "mobile pill box" look. Thank you so much again man, it means a lot to me, I put a lot of work into all my kits. Ive got a lot to show you guys, Sheridans, Humvees, PMC highlux diorama, MLRS, Bradley(with tow missile wire still hanging out of the launcher), M48s, M113s, and lions and tigers and bears. . . .
Bring it on, Brother. Your work is excellent! And I have to believe others here appreciate it as well, even though not everybody chimes in (just that some of us are more chatty than others is all). Hope you'll share more.

Lordragnar

Thanks Papabear, Thank Marchplumber and Arialfred! Im making a mount for this to go on an old tripod I have, the alternate mount with dual inverted pistol grips(or would that be pistol grips set the right way, um uninverted?) Now Im seriously considering making the Dillion Aero version, just love the flash hider on the end of that beast, so I might be making another one of these beasts, anyway. . . MO PICS!

mini61.jpgmini62.jpgmini60.jpgmini59.jpg

Lordragnar

Here are a couple of closer shots, Ive put some more weathering on it, Im gonna knock it back a little bit with my airbrush, but overall we are getting closer to be finished

mini63.jpgmini64.jpgmini65.jpgmini66.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks