• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

45Yrs Underground

RangerBob

I hope to spin up this gyro before EoM. The rear connector has been removed and a pigtail added to make it fit this application, so I can't just get the units original pinout and hook her up. I may just have to break the seal on this one to figure it out, but then I'll be able to run Jed and Elly May (Elly May is still in the ground) without losing the helium. Fortunately, the company I work for used to be Bendix in the wayback, so I think I can find some documentation and expertise on these cans to help out with the reverse engineering.

RangerBob

Sorry, hate busting the subject on someones thread, but to clear up some info here, there were BB's.

You can find the info from any serach engine, I also saw one at Aberdeen back in he 70's at the museum!

Have you checked the night stand? I'm sure your meds are there. ;)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have we told you how much we appreciate you lately RangerBob? Coolest pics, adventures and finds beyond the green iron.

I'm stuck in the 50's and 60's doing Cold War research that is now declassified and will be visiting all the dew, pine, mid, bunker and comms sites over the next decade.

Any, all and more of this stuff just makes me want to do it sooner. Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and supporting stories. It's more than interesting!

RangerBob

I was at an old White Alice site on Friday. Unfortunately, everything had been razed.

Also, spotted your M1010 brother in Delta Junction, AK. Will try for a picture and story next time I pass through there.

And I think I'll retire at the end of this year. Can I go look for stuff with you? ...even if I'm wearing a Boston Bruins jersey? :mrgreen:

Last edited:

RangerBob

You're asking if we have considered hauling a large rig from the nearest large city (Fairbanks, 4hrs drive by car), up a mountain, over tundra, to yank a 300ft long, 12" ID welded steel casing, and then somehow reinserting and sealing it. Ahh, no.

Jeepsinker

Sorry, it's been a while since you started this thread and I forgot, or never was made aware of the specifics. Understandably now that would be more trouble than anyone without a government contract could handle.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping the stick on the ice.

The last guy I went head to head with over hockey was Charlie Pride. He's a Dallas fan and I asked him to sign my Oiler's hat. He thought I'd been underground for 45 years, as his expression tells. I got the autograph, but I took a hockey lesson.

View attachment 553871

The Boston franchise always produced entertaining, competitive hockey and that's all we ask for. We don't keep track of who wins, we just wanna play so bring me an extra jersey.:neutral:

The museum gang http://civildefencemuseum.ca/ is talking about a 53' rolling bunker/ museum/ education/ interpretive centre with a Pete up front. The folks that built, maintained and manned the defense sites across our continent kept us safe so we could sleep. We passionately know that we need a forum where the story can be told and the rest of us can learn.

With the Dew-line clean-up, https://www.dcc-cdc.gc.ca/english/pr_dew.html all traces of those efforts will soon be gone with only questions left about how it all worked.

Retire and come write some books!charlie pride 002.jpg

RangerBob

Haven't taken the time to build a power supply to spin up the gyro, but did get a chance to disassemble Jethro a bit more. Here is what was found in the cylinder above the gyro compartment...

1 WD and LEV.jpg

The bottom cap contained a water detector (left) and a level sensor (right).

2 Inside.jpg 3 Assembly.jpg

Here is our first look inside, and then the extracted assembly of 3 sensors.

4 Open.jpg

And here is one of the sensors unsealed. It is a Teledyne Earth Sciences (before they became Geotech?) SD-215 short period sensor. I haven't pulled it out of its' housing yet. I'll wait until I get it to a workbench. The Campulance makes a decent mobile workshop, but I have to tie everything down before moving each day.

Still have the lower section containing the long period sensors to retrieve. The fine machining and the attention to detail of these beasts continue to amaze me. A lot of tax dollars went into these.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks