• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I drive a deuce home from the auction?

KaiserM109

I’m new to this site, but not to ugly trucks painted green. I did 2 tours in Vietnam, the first with a combat engineer battalion and the second with an artillery battalion. I drove several green targets over there, including one exactly like the Kaiser-Jeep M109A2 I will be taking delivery on as soon as I get my EUC approved. My difficulty is that I got laid off the day after I won the bid on the truck.

Unlike an M35 cargo version of a deuce, the M109 has to be hauled on a lowboy trailer because the box is 11 ft. tall. The best bid I have gotten so far is $2000 to haul it 500 mi. from Ft. Riley, KS to Denver, CO. I am considering driving in home, but I don’t know much about it, including its year of mfg., and whether or not it starts and runs. I’m sure that it came out of a reserve or guard unit. I did a year in the Reserves after my regular duty and I know that our trucks got better maintenance than our Regular Army rigs did. For one thing, we could get replacement parts in the Reserves. I figure that, if I bring new batteries with me, there’s a 75% chance I can start it.

I know next to nothing about diesels except that they don’t have a spark system. Questions, if I put it on the road before I have a chance to tear the critical parts down:
What should I inspect before I move it and how?
What sorts of failures are common enough that I should be prepared to deal with on the road?
What tools should I have on hand to do roadside repairs?
What parts should I start out with spares for and where can I get them?
If I get to the depot to pick it up and it doesn’t start, what should I look at?

Last, and probably least, can I call my Kaiser-Jeep M109 a Jeep?

groundog

:driver: make sure to check brake fluid and that brakes work---also do your PMCS---check the fuel pump works---if not check on top of tank for bad fuse---check all tires for air pressure---if truck will start be sure to check for leaks----being ex-service I am sure you know what to look for---GOOD LUCK----Groundog

poppop

If it cranks and runs well and the brakes work I would not be afraid to drive it. Check all fluids. The most likely problem you will have is dirty fuel system. Drain the filters to get rid of any water and see what the fuel looks like. Take extra filters and the tools to change them with. That way if the tanks are dirty and the trip shakes it up you can change on the road and go.

KaiserM109

The web info was very brief. They took the page off the web before I got all the pics copied. My avatar is the front shot.

Where do I get filters and what are the part numbers?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The parts cross reference chart has Napa part #'s for pretty much everything.

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=10

You can then cross the Napa #'s into other manufacturer's #, like Baldwin.

3512 (x2) Fuel Filter (engine mount)
3511 (x1) Fuel Filter (frame mount)

1133 (2) Oil Filter (may not have the right gaskets for the top of the can, that go under the bolt)

2837 Engine air filter

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the truck has benn sitting in the same spot for a few days take a bucket and pull the drain from the fuel tank. Let any water/trash come out and put the plug back in before you over flow bucket. I'd also take fuel filters and oil filters. Although you can't change the oil replacing the filters won't hurt on a 500 mile trip. I'd also take all three fan belts incase they look the worst for wear. Get some dot 5 brake fluid and keep it with you. Can you go inspect the truck and try to start it before you get yout EUC? Mabye a good look see before hand will help you to determine if it's driveable.

dabtl

The Wix filter numbers are 533512 for the secondary fuel filters and 33511 for the primary fuel filter. O'Reilly has them.

KaiserM109

Thanks, the whole bunch of you!! I haven't had time to digest all this and all the cross references. I have been cruising the rest of this forum as I find time and am absolutely amazed at the comradery. I expect to get the EUC about the end of Aug. I have about 90% decided to go and drive it back. Your suggestions have been a great help. My son has a friend who is an experienced diesel mechanic who wants to go on this adventure, so I’m rather sure that we will drive it home.

One problem with having it hauled is that I don't know if it will start right off and the haullers won't mess with it. I would have to have a wrecker standing by to put it on the trailer. Doing those arrangements long distance isn't working.

RE the auction: It was Event 2967 Lot 6463. The entire description was: “KAISER JEEP CORP TRUCK, VAN 2 1/ 2TON, 6X6, M109A3 ” I got 2 pictures pulled down, a front shot and a back shot, before I got called away. When I got back, they had taken the page down. None of the pic’s showed the engine, I hope that means that there was nothing interesting under the hood. What I saw in the pic’s was that all of the sheet metal was clean, there didn’t appear to be any parts salvaged such as driver’s seat, glass, dash panel parts, lights. The blinder for the left front window in the back seems to be missing (no biggie). Not getting a better description, I set my bidding limit at $750. The bid got run up to $703 and the next was $773.33. I figured I could stretch it another 24 bucks so I bit and got it.

I could probably see the truck if I wanted to travel to Ft. Riley, but that would be tough. The site manager said “It will probably start with a little tinkering.” But I don’t think he really knew much about this specific truck.

On another different subject, I responded to a posting about more rallies and offered to work on one in Colorado in ’08. http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?...opic&t=9674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
I’d love to meet you guys, so take a look at it.

dabtl: I tried blowing up your avatar to see what it is, but couldn’t get much. It looks like an armored cavalry unit with traditional uniforms, right?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would definately drive it home Soldier. It is very possible that if it did come from the Guard or Reserves that the unit would remember the truck or at least the ECS folks. I can not read the bumper number from your Avatar but if you can find out the unit you might ask them about the truck's condition. You got a real deal on the truck at that price and I know how hard things get when you loose a job but this truck will cheer you up just having it in your driveway. From the Avatar it looks to be in very good condition. My truck was able to fire off with a jump start and with air added to a tire with a leaking stem valve after tightening the valve I drove it home over 300 miles. My son drove down with me and drove the chase truck the only thing to make sure of is what has been mentioned already and being flexible in your plans. The trucks are rock solid and will get you home it just might take longer than you expect. Remember the duece in Viet Nam and think of what they did for you there it will bring back lots of memories everytime you get in the cab. I think you got a winner because only well cared for trucks got the front bumper step pictured in your Avatar.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
KAISER JEEP CORP TRUCK, VAN 2 1/ 2TON, 6X6, M109A3, WITHOUT WINCH, WITH DIESEL ENGINE AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION, S/ N: 4H-1239-0132-11055, WITH 22823MILES, 815 HOURS

With GL no engine pics probably mean no engine :lol: You got a great price on that truck.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Those pics show me it is a driver get r done is what we say. Hooah it was turned in because they have 900 series trucks or FMTV if they deployed. The reason it was not screened by the police or other agency is most likey the warped floor in the back. If the engine was pulled I am quite sure there would be indicators

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Plus it was Technical Inspected in 2005 which is most likely the last time the unit had it in it's hands. That is a good indicator along with the radiator there and the truck sitting near level. I would wager if I was a betting man that this will start and get him home.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's unusual, old school taillights, with composite turn signals in the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks