• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased my 2nd MV...M38A1

Maverick1701

Another Jeep update.

My Jeep news from the last post was a bit devastating. I was really pushing hard on the Jeep with a goal of having the jeep up & running before I leave for the state police academy (my last day at my sheriff's office is 5/1 & the academy starts 5/21). Obviously that won't happen at this point.

After doing some soul searching (long walks on the beach, reflecting on Jeep issues while staring at a mountain lake, laying in fields looking up at the stars, etc) I have decided on my new Jeep plan.

The state police academy is 11-ish weeks. During that time I won't be able to drive the Jeep and it will be sitting.
So the plan is for me to take the Jeep to my local mechanic before I head out for 11-ish weeks of pain/misery. During that 11 weeks he is going to blow apart the motor, send everything off for machining (if needed), and re-assemble. I'm also going to have him rebuild the transmission & x-fer case while everything is out of the Jeep. That way, by the time I return in mid August, all I need to worry about is driving & enjoying my Jeep.

Today on the Jeep I replaced some fuel tank gaskets (pump & sending unit). Tomorrow I am going to install my dualmatic hubs (if nothing goes too crazy with work). If I have time I might install my battery monitor as well...but it depends on the time.

Maverick1701

Today I was able to knock out two jobs after work.

job1: I installed my new (to me) blackout drive light on the fender. this job was pretty straight forward. Just bolt it on the bracket, and attach the wire. The harness had an extra wire for ground but I was using a newer model (2004 model) BO light so I didn't need the extra grounding wire.

Job2: I installed my new (to me) dualmatic locking hubs. I LOVE the vintage look of the dualmatics vs the newer/cleaner look of warn/milemarker/etc. Seeing dualmatics gives me warm/fuzzy feelings of old jeeps/4x4s from my youth. The job went fairly smoothly (it was almost so easy I thought I was doing something wrong) and I had both hubs installed in about 30mins.

WP_20170426_19_09_51_Pro.jpgWP_20170426_18_53_36_Pro.jpgWP_20170426_18_37_50_Pro.jpgWP_20170426_18_11_29_Pro.jpgWP_20170426_18_11_07_Pro.jpg

Maverick1701

I just placed my order for an engine rebuild kit (the mechanic will call KW once he breaks open the motor and knows what OD size pistons, bearings, etc), transmission rebuild kit (pretty much all the guts), & x-fer case kit (only snap rings, seals, bearings, etc). I'll be taking my jeep down to the mechanic sometime next week.

This will probably be the last post in this thread until mid August. I start the TX DPS academy next Sunday (5/21) and will be out of pocket for approx 12 weeks. I'll be sure to post pics/vids when I pick up my Jeep (with newly rebuilt drivetrain) in mid August

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just placed my order for an engine rebuild kit (the mechanic will call KW once he breaks open the motor and knows what OD size pistons, bearings, etc), transmission rebuild kit (pretty much all the guts), & x-fer case kit (only snap rings, seals, bearings, etc). I'll be taking my jeep down to the mechanic sometime next week.

This will probably be the last post in this thread until mid August. I start the TX DPS academy next Sunday (5/21) and will be out of pocket for approx 12 weeks. I'll be sure to post pics/vids when I pick up my Jeep (with newly rebuilt drivetrain) in mid August
Looks like your rolling in the right direction. Looking forward to your August pictures.

Maverick1701

Well guys I come bearing bad news.

Due to a shoulder injury I am no longer with TX State Police. I jacked my shoulder pretty badly during some crazy intense physical training. After reading the MRI, the Dr said I couldn't stay and play (MRI showed minor tearing in the muscle, tendons, and ligaments). The good news is that physical therapy should heal it up nicely. So last Tuesday 6/13 I had to pack my toys and go home.

So this puts a bit of a delay on the jeep rebuild. I have the mechanic holding all work until have another steady paycheck. I submitted my application with Lubbock County Sheriff's Office today. Hopefully I should hear good news within a few weeks.

Once I have a steady paycheck, I'll be able to "cut loose" my mechanic to continue the rebuild. I'll keep my thread updated with progress.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

I come bearing good news.
After 4-5-ish months of physical therapy & working with my orthopedist I was cleared for police-work last month. I put in an application with several local agencies (Lubbock Sheriff's Office, Lubbock Police Dpt, Texas Tech Univ. Police, and Lubbock Airport Police). The Airport Police Dpt processed me the fastest, and offered me a position first. I start Monday 11/13.

My Jeep & the engine/x-fer case/transmission rebuild kit have been sitting at my mechanics shop (with his blessing) waiting for me to call and tell him to start work (once I got a job). I'm going to be making the phone call Monday. If all goes well I should be driving my Jeep in 10-13-ish weeks.

Maverick1701

I hit another (albeit minor) setback with the Jeep. It turns out that in the last few months while my jeep was at the mechanic (for the engine rebuild) it has not been touched by the mechanic...not one bit. So today I drove the 2hr back to his shop, picked up the jeep, and brought it down to where I live now (lubbock). It fits perfectly in my storage unit/shop with my M35A2.

At this point I'm torn on what to do next. On one hand I want to drive/enjoy my Jeep. On the other, it needs an engine rebuild. One option I am looking at is splitting the difference and do a temporary "quickie" rebuild (and I use that term lightly) by hitting it w/a dingle-ball hone, replacing the piston rings, and (if there isn't anything else that can wait until the "real" rebuild) drive & enjoy my Jeep while saving money for a "real" rebuild...and then paying a shop to do the "real" rebuild in the future (bearings, machine shop work, etc). thoughts?

I'm also planning on going through the x-fer case & transmission....but all in good time.

20180112_154025_HDR.jpg20180112_154035_HDR.jpg20180112_154010_HDR_01.jpg

SturmTyger380

Depending on the out of round and taper of the cylinders you might get away with what they call a refresh. If you find much of a ridge in the cylinders I doubt you can just do a refresh.

Maverick1701

I'm considering selling my M38A1 & was hoping to get some opinions on where to start for pricing (assuming I do decide to sell).
At this time I'm still on the fence & discussing w/the wife. On one hand I would rather have a jeep I can actually drive/use/enjoy vs waiting some unknown amount to time to save for a rebuild. On the other hand, I really like the M38A1 and have put a TON of time/money/sweat/blood into the project.

I replaced TONS of parts over the last 2 years and got it running (I know I won't get the full price back on the replacement parts). I then drove it 2miles when it lost compression on the motor...so it needs a rebuild.

So far I have replaced (with new parts): wheels/tires; wiring harness; entire brake system (MC/lines/springs/pads/etc); canvas seat covers; rear seat canvas pockets; military power/ignition switch; military light switch; parking brake; headlights; tail-lights; fender blackout light & bracket; blackout marker lenses; steering wheel; both axle pinion seals; differential cover gaskets; installed correct/rebuilt carburetor; 2 batteries; dualmatic locking hubs; water pump; points/condenser; top bows & mounting brackets; fuel can holder; wipers; windshield hood rest welts; front bumper; 1954 Texas YOM license plates. The title is clear & in my name.

So what do y'all feel is a fair starting/asking price?

mdainsd

Horrible to be facing a proposition like this one. I have read your entire thread. you have invested so much sweat equity and a ton of money into it.
Is there anyway you can mothball it until you have more time money for it? The pluses are all the work and parts you have put into it. that and being basically rust free. Seriously all it lacks is a running engine and a paintjob.
The big issue is "not running", but you know that. One can buy nicely restored A1s for numbers around 10K. Asking 6000 is high (just my opinion), but if you let it be known you are receptive to offers, who knows what might come your way. You cant raise the price, so start a little high and see what happens.
That Jeep would make a solid start for anyone.
Good Luck!

Maverick1701

Well I've been posting more over in the "what did you do to your jeep today" thread instead of this original thread.
After more work, new engine, sweat, frustration, etc it's back running and driving. I'm still fine-tuning a few issues here and there but it starts (mostly) reliably.
The family loves it.
vid 1:

vid 2:

vid 3:

vid 4:

IMG_20220303_133501.jpg
IMG_20220303_153518.jpg
IMG_20220415_200216.jpg

Maverick1701

Great post, Maverick1701:

- Especially liking your special assistant (for getting into the tight spaces!)

Jeep looks real good. Where did you find it (what's he story)?
Thanks! He loves the jeep. He is 1.5yr old so can't quite say "Willys" just yet so he calls it "lilly".

Jeep was an ex-army jeep. After it was sold by the gov't, it was used as a brush truck by our local VFD (back in the 80s). They eventually sold it to a farmer who used it as a toy until eventually parking it in a field in the late 90s.

I bought out of that farmers field back in 2014. I got it running and actually drove it a bit....but after about 12 miles the motor lost all compression. It sat for a while as I was trying to find a shop to work on it, life got in the way, etc. Eventually I moved to Lubbock, got married, bought a house, and got jerked around by worthless jeep shops. Last year I finally built a shop and I finally had a workspace.

I found a rebuilt civilian motor in Amarillo. I scooped it up, swapped over all the military parts and got it in the jeep. Earlier this year I got everything hooked-up and got it running/driving/tagged. It's not perfect so I'm fine-tuning a few things here and there (carb, small oil leak, etc).

It's been a long frustrating journey...but I didn't let it beat me (it sure tried). I tried to get it fixed at two different jeep shops...both were worthless and ate up a ton of time (thankfully not money). In the end I did what I should have done originally and did it myself. It was faster and done (mostly) correctly.

182883079_266764935192428_4636128304315301588_n.jpg185470837_910955482800979_7130874020752246622_n.jpgjeep 3.jpgjeep motor 2.jpgIMG_20220326_201414.jpgIMG_20220326_201423.jpgIMG_20220326_201507.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! He loves the jeep. He is 1.5yr old so can't quite say "Willys" just yet so he calls it "lilly".

Jeep was an ex-army jeep. After it was sold by the gov't, it was used as a brush truck by our local VFD (back in the 80s). They eventually sold it to a farmer who used it as a toy until eventually parking it in a field in the late 90s.

I bought out of that farmers field back in 2014. I got it running and actually drove it a bit....but after about 12 miles the motor lost all compression. It sat for a while as I was trying to find a shop to work on it, life got in the way, etc. Eventually I moved to Lubbock, got married, bought a house, and got jerked around by worthless jeep shops. Last year I finally built a shop and I finally had a workspace.

I found a rebuilt civilian motor in Amarillo. I scooped it up, swapped over all the military parts and got it in the jeep. Earlier this year I got everything hooked-up and got it running/driving/tagged. It's not perfect so I'm fine-tuning a few things here and there (carb, small oil leak, etc).

It's been a long frustrating journey...but I didn't let it beat me (it sure tried). I tried to get it fixed at two different jeep shops...both were worthless and ate up a ton of time (thankfully not money). In the end I did what I should have done originally and did it myself. It was faster and done (mostly) correctly.

View attachment 868594View attachment 868595View attachment 868596View attachment 868597View attachment 868598View attachment 868599View attachment 868600
Really nice - and having a sidekick that can "go jeepin" with you will be a lot of fun! Glad you didn't get "rooked" by the jeep fixers (Not!) and doing it yourself made it more yours! Congratulations on the motor swap and the family too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks