• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased my 2nd MV...M38A1

Maverick1701

Earlier today I ordered two new pinion seals off ebay for my front/rear differentials. I also ordered a set of those box end wrenches that ratchet and swivel (I also ordered two individual wrenches in sizes that I use on the jeep most that only ratchet and do not swivel). Almost every time I work on the Jeep I find a place where one of those would come in handy...so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set. Should be in soon.

When I got home today I removed the drive-shafts from both axles (left connected at the running gear end) in preparation for the new pinion seals. I am also trying to hunt down a torque wrench that reads high enough to set the pinion nut. Mine only goes up to 150ft lbs and everything I am reading calls for 160-180ft lbs.
I also started installing my new wheel cylinders. The wheel cylinders (at least the fronts) might get put on hold until I finish with the pinion seals and completely flush out my cooling system. I am still seeing some junk float around in the radiator.

Maverick1701

Tonight I removed all the brake components from the rear axle. After removal, I gave everything a nice hard cleaning (it REALLY needed it!!!).

All I have left is the drivers-front to remove and I will have all the brake components removed. So far I have found only one wheel cylinder that was fully functional (or at least had both sides that would move smoothly) which is a little surprising since this Jeep sat for the previous 12 years. I expected all 4 to be fully seized.

This weekend I am off work and I do not foresee much work being done to the Jeep....I will (hopefully) be spending my two days off enjoying my motorcycle far far away from my house. Saturday Altus, OK is hosting a big car show. I am going to ride over to oklahoma and check it out. Sunday I might ride back over to Oklahoma and visit the stafford air/space museum.

Another Ahab

This weekend I am off work and I do not foresee much work being done to the Jeep....I will (hopefully) be spending my two days off enjoying my motorcycle far far away from my house. Saturday Altus, OK is hosting a big car show. I am going to ride over to oklahoma and check it out. Sunday I might ride back over to Oklahoma and visit the stafford air/space museum.
Photos of any killer cars will be greatly appreciated (you know, just a little drifting).

Maverick1701

Photos of any killer cars will be greatly appreciated (you know, just a little drifting).
never fear! pics are downloading now.
I put some miles on my KLR today. I left out about 9am and just now made it home.
Here is the route I ran. (http://mapq.st/1DLqHbV). I covered about 280-290 miles.

I left out at 9am and ran over to Altus to catch the car show. This stretch was all black top because I wanted to get there before the show ended. I spent an hour or so walking around getting picture of cars. After Altus I ran up to Mangum, OK and grabbed lunch at "the hamburger inn". I had read about them on yelp.com and the reviews were overly positive. They did not disappoint. The place was packed with locals (that was also a clue as to their quality) but their service was fast and prompt. I recommend them if anyone is ever out that way.

I left out of mangum and ran a loop I mapped out the previous week on google earth. This would be the last time I would see "real" highway for quite some time. the loop I planned was a combination of dirt/gravel/"paved" single lane county roads (which is the style of riding I like). I don't really like gravel but my chocies were either 1. stop being a baby and learn how to ride on it or 2. turn back. I was NOT going to turn back hahaha. I stuck to the more hand-packed dirt roads which were quite pleasant and allowed me to run 40-50mph without any issues. Our county roads back home are more sand vs hard packed and are super tough on my KLR. I still have not mastered the whole riding in sand technique.

After I ran my loop I turned off my GPS and just meandered south/west on any roads that looked interesting. I spotted a sign for a public lake fishing area so I ran down that dirt road and found the fishing area. Nothing really noteworthy but it did look like a cool little place to fish. After leaving the fishing area I ran through vinson (ran some of the remaining streets, read the historical stuff, etc). I left vinson and again hopped on county roads and kept working my south/west. Eventually I made it to hwy 9. By this time I needed fuel and a break to stretch my legs. I ran up to wellington and stopped at the allsups. fulled up and grabbed a some snacks (bananas and a gatorade...snack of champions!) and walked around for a bit.

After leaving wellington I rolled in to Memphis just in time for a place called "bertie fannies" to open (6pm). It is only open one night a month so the timing worked out GREAT! I was the first one in the door and was able to beat the crowd. After dinner I rode the 12mi from Memphis to lakeview and made it home in one piece.

Maverick1701

car show pictures as promised!!!

Unfortunately there were not as many 4x4s there as I had hoped. I saw one CJ7 and one FJ40. There were A LOT of cool classic muscle at the show. I LOVED seeing the fully restored camaros, mustangs, etc. The show also had a lot of low rider stuff. I can appreciate the time/money/etc that is required to build one of those vehicles but it is not my thing. One guy at the show had the entire running gear of his vehicle (transmission, rear axle, front suspension, etc) all chromed...again...it is not my thing but I can appreciate the time that goes in to the project of that magnitude. PICT0007.jpg
PICT0017.jpg
PICT0054.jpg
PICT0063.jpg
PICT0045.jpg
PICT0034.jpg
PICT0010.jpg
PICT0005.jpg

Maverick1701

I need the pick the brains of the dana44 gods.
So today I decided I would replace the rear pinion seal.
I have been reading the TMs and researching step-by-step instructions via the internet/my forums for the past week or so.

so far I have removed the following but I am not sure if I have removed enough pieces. I think I also need to remove the oil slinger but I want to make extra sure before mangling it. According to TM9-8015-2 Figure #130 I have removed:

Letter: description

V/U: Yoke/Dust shield
T: Seal oil (the mangled piece of metal
S: gasket (the plastic flat washer looking thing)
R: Seal felt (the circular spring looking thing)
Q: the slinger that is still installed (see pic #2 below)

The seal to the far right is the new pinion seal.

Does that sound correct?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is how it sits now (see 2nd picture below). I believe this to be the oil slinger #Q in figure #130. Do I need to remove this piece? I am thinking that I do because there currently is not room to install my new seal...but I want to make extra sure before I gak it trying to remove.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Jeep progress is going to be slow for the next three weeks. I leave on 5-19 on my vacation.
I am going to be tackling the dalton highway and the denali highway up in Alaska. I will be spending this last week pretty much preparing/packing/planning. I will update after my vacation. I come back to TX on 6/8.

Another Ahab

Jeep progress is going to be slow for the next three weeks. I leave on 5-19 on my vacation.
I am going to be tackling the dalton highway and the denali highway up in Alaska. I will be spending this last week pretty much preparing/packing/planning. I will update after my vacation. I come back to TX on 6/8.
Pictures of that would be cool; maybe start your own thread about it in the Mess Hall?

Maverick1701

I am still here. Jeep is still here. Things at work have been CRAZY since I returned from my trip. The first day back at 1030am (I start at 10am) a lady walks in my office to report a sexual assault of child (with multiple suspects and multpile victims...wow). I will do my best to get back on track ASAP

Another Ahab

I am still here. Jeep is still here. Things at work have been CRAZY since I returned from my trip. The first day back at 1030am (I start at 10am) a lady walks in my office to report a sexual assault of child (with multiple suspects and multpile victims...wow). I will do my best to get back on track ASAP
That is awful; plain awful and horrible.

Maverick1701

Well I finally had some time to work on the jeep. I had only an hour or so between getting home from work and the approaching rain. I was able to get the passenger rear wheel cylinder, brake shoes, and brake retainers installed. I had to to re-use the old hardware w/the new shoes because the new retainers were 1/2in longer than my old retainers and would not fit...they also would not fit through the new brake shoes.

Hopefully I can get the other three sets installed tomorrow. My plan is to finish the brakes w/the new master cylinder and soft lines this weekend...but we will see how that works out w/the job and the weather.

Maverick1701

Update for the day:
I installed my top bow brackets. I ran over them w/a wire wheel and painted before installation due to some rust.
I also finally finished up the rear axle (brakes and new pinion seal).
I also knocked out the front pass side brakes. All I have left is the front drivers side.

I need to replace the front pinion seal (the yoke is stuck in the diff), the two rubber brake lines under the body, master cylinder, and fix some wiring (no working brake light).

After all that I should be (knock on wood) ready for a vehicle inspection.

Do I need to bench bleed the new master cylinder if I am planning on bleeding the entire system, after installation?

Last edited:

Maverick1701

update for today.

I installed my new (used) bumper. The bumper came primer brown on one side and OD on the other. I painted and knocked out the install thursday afternoon.
I ran into a few issues during the install. The PO had installed a winch plate (and I am assuming a winch) which over the years caused some bending of the front frame horns. I had to enlarge some of the holes on the bumper so everything would fit. I gave all the hardware a nice coating of anti-seize and bolted everything back together.

I am working on the last few parts of the brake system (soft line). I may end up having to replace all the hard lines as well...a lot of the connections were rusty and twisted the lines while attempting to disconnect the old lines. I am currently fighting the soft line/hard line connection under the rear of the jeep...man that is a bugger to get to.

I also noticed that my drivers/front hub requires significantly more force/effort to rotate vs the others. I am thinking that I need to pull it apart and see what I have going on inside the hub.

I was in houston for a week for some training. I found a guy selling jerry cans @ $20 each. I picked up six. I am going to bring some back to life and use a few for some other projects. Hopefully I can clean and re-seal the interior of the cans before paint.

Another Ahab

update for today.

I was in houston for a week for some training. I found a guy selling jerry cans @ $20 each. I picked up six. I am going to bring some back to life and use a few for some other projects. Hopefully I can clean and re-seal the interior of the cans before paint.
The price doesn't sound bad, seems like a good deal.

Maverick1701

So I have been super busy this week. My brake job is on hold until next week. I am stuck working a jury trial all this week.

I have been using what little time I have to knock out a quick wheel repaint. Here is an example of my wheels at the start and the end results. So far I have finished one....three to go.

I hit it with sandpaper, a wire drill brush/wheel, etc to knock down the rust. I then hit the wheels with several coats of spray-paint rustoleum paint/primer combo in flat black. I am pleased with the end result.

Started with this:

Final Result:

Another Ahab

I hit it with sandpaper, a wire drill brush/wheel, etc to knock down the rust. I then hit the wheels with several coats of spray-paint rustoleum paint/primer combo in flat black. I am pleased with the end result.

Started with this:

Final Result:
Oh, yeah, THAT is a big improvement; nice work. [thumbzup]

Maverick1701

Progress has been slow these past few weeks. I spend one week working a murder trial, the next week was spent working a major hazmat spill on one of our major highways. I am just now getting caught up...hopefully I will have some free time this weekend.

I did catch a good deal on a set of top bows. They arrived tuesday. Normally I see them going for around $200 with another $100-$150 for shipping. I found a place that had a deal going for free shipping so I jumped on it.

I also scored a CJ5 style sport-bar from craigslist. This will allow me to either run just the military top (once I get the canvas), or bolt in the CJ bar (2...maybe 3 bolts) for a wrangler bikini style top. I get the best of both worlds without having to keep the cj car constantly installed (which I did not want).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks