• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip in a HET, CA to MT.

TreadLite

I have always wanted a HET since I first laid eyes on them and was excited when they started being surplused. The prices of the M1070’s kept dropping and dropping and I figured I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I decided to sell some other toys (this thread helped push me over the edge - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-a-HET-in-life-quot-M1070-Acquisition-thread) and I finally pulled the trigger in January and won a HET out of Ft. Irwin. It had been stored in SoCal for several months until I could make the trip down from Alaska to recover it. I debated between shipping and driving but finally decided on a 45 MPH road trip from California to a friend’s place in Montana. I was fine with the potential risks and costs of breakdowns, additional wear and tear, and the ever present risk of Swift trucks trying to mate with it.

The batteries in the truck were dead but once we got them charged, the truck fired right up and ran perfectly. The truck checked out and other than a couple low tires (even the CTIS worked), it was ready to roll. I even got lucky with the toolboxes and after we cut the locks off, found some treasures including a slave cable, a couple jacks and misc. tools.

Overall the trip went really smooth and the truck is surprisingly comfortable to drive. The trailer had a mysterious shake/wheel bounce between 30-35 MPH but there’s a MK48 thread somewhere that talks about it. Anyways, it’s an awesome machine that gets a lot of double takes.

A special thanks to members 100dollarman (and his son) and M920 who were both very generous and helpful. They were instrumental in making the trip happen in the first place and in making it a success. I’ve only had limited contact with the members on Steel Soldiers but have had nothing but help and concern from those I’ve dealt with. I can’t thank Hundy and son and M920 enough for their help, expertise, and cell phone minutes – thanks guys for making this hobby that much more enjoyable.

Also, a shout out to my Dad who took a personal week off from his busy job to help me on the adventure. He has been by my side for each recovery (wife and God willing there’ll be a few more).
Barstow (5).jpgBarstow (6).jpgBarstow (7).jpgHundy Yard (4).jpgHundy Yard (1).jpg

Artisan

CONGRATS!

You will NEVER, EVER, forget that recovery.

Job Well Done...

So where are you now w/ it?

m715mike

I can honestly say that I'm not even a little jealous. I'm a whole lot jealous!!! :-D

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the story and pictures!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you had a good and safe trip. Nice looking truck!
I helped Castle Bravo drive his Het home (500 miles) from NM and they do drive nice.
I was passing trucks and RV's on the up hill side of big hills, then they would pass me on the down side. LOL

TreadLite

The truck will hibernate for the winter in Montana while I head back to Alaska. I'm not sure I'm up for the 2200 mile trip to Alaska and I know my VISA wouldn't be happy about it.

TreadLite

Glad you had a good and safe trip. Nice looking truck!
I helped Castle Bravo drive his Het home (500 miles) from NM and they do drive nice.
I was passing trucks and RV's on the up hill side of big hills, then they would pass me on the down side. LOL
In the 1000 mile trip, I only passed one vehicle - lol. It was passing in slow motion.

TreadLite

I also scored a MK14 trailer which I decided to tow for the trip. It took a while to get it rigged up, especially the airlines (which were a challenge since the MK14 isn’t really a trailer) but thanks to M920, we got them working. Member M920 fabricated the tow bar attachment. It's hard to see from the pics but this thing is a work of art - he does top notch fabrication.
Hundy Yard (5).jpgMK 14 wo attachment.jpgMK14.jpgTow Bar.jpg

TreadLite

The trailer was in a little bit of a tight spot so we figured it was a good excuse to play with err... verify the winches work. The M1070 has 3 winches, 2 - 55,00 lbs main winches and a 3,000 lbs winch. The small winch is used for paying out the big winch as the line gets heavy pretty quick. These are a couple pics swinging the trailer around so we could hook to it.
Winch (2).jpgWinch (4).jpg

TreadLite

Here are a few pictures from the trip. The M1070 sits pretty high and it's an interesting feeling looking down into the cabs of big rigs.
IMG_4041.jpgDriving (1).jpgIMG_4039.jpgIMG_4044.jpg

HanksDeuce

What kind of fuel mileage did you get in that big bastid? :D Congrats on the successful (partial) recovery. Good luck on getting it back to Alaska.

61sleepercab

Good Recovery!!! You need to take on a load of something to sell or eat to Alaska , Do a Coors beer run or 2x4's or something to trade at home and help on fuel. I know a fellow who went from West Virginia to Florida and picked up a load of green tomatoes and trucked them home and sold them all and paid for his whole trip. You must study customs with our Northern Neighbor. Good Luck and have fun and be safe. Mark

Another Ahab

Good Recovery!!! You need to take on a load of something to sell or eat to Alaska , Do a Coors beer run or 2x4's or something to trade at home and help on fuel. I know a fellow who went from West Virginia to Florida and picked up a load of green tomatoes and trucked them home and sold them all and paid for his whole trip. You must study customs with our Northern Neighbor. Good Luck and have fun and be safe. Mark
Maybe load up on light bulbs:

- I hear it's a long and dark winter up 'yonder in Alaska

Light.jpg

TreadLite

What kind of fuel mileage did you get in that big bastid? :D Congrats on the successful (partial) recovery. Good luck on getting it back to Alaska.
Thanks.

Not sure on the mileage. I decided it might be better not to keep track but it couldn't have been pretty. One (very) rough estimate put it around 3 MPG so I decided to stop there. It's an awesome rig to drive and driving was still cheaper than having it shipped.

TreadLite

IMG_4055.jpg
Here is one of the smaller fill ups.

Rain driving (3).jpgRain driving (4).jpg
A couple pics from the chase vehicle.

nose to nose (2).jpgIMG_4050.jpg
Here are a couple vehicles to give the M1070 size perspective.

side x side.jpgMT 1.jpg
The MK14 trailer beside the HET.

100dollarman

Wayne and Dad are two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet! It was a pleasure, sirs!
These guys are very adventurous to put it mildly!!!!

That trailer hitch was so nice I thought it was a factory piece! That man has skills.

Very glad the trip went well! Great to meet you guys!

dezert ratt

I have always wanted a HET since I first laid eyes on them and was excited when they started being surplused. The prices of the M1070’s kept dropping and dropping and I figured I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I decided to sell some other toys (this thread helped push me over the edge - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-a-HET-in-life-quot-M1070-Acquisition-thread) and I finally pulled the trigger in January and won a HET out of Ft. Irwin. It had been stored in SoCal for several months until I could make the trip down from Alaska to recover it. I debated between shipping and driving but finally decided on a 45 MPH road trip from California to a friend’s place in Montana. I was fine with the potential risks and costs of breakdowns, additional wear and tear, and the ever present risk of Swift trucks trying to mate with it.

The batteries in the truck were dead but once we got them charged, the truck fired right up and ran perfectly. The truck checked out and other than a couple low tires (even the CTIS worked), it was ready to roll. I even got lucky with the toolboxes and after we cut the locks off, found some treasures including a slave cable, a couple jacks and misc. tools.

Overall the trip went really smooth and the truck is surprisingly comfortable to drive. The trailer had a mysterious shake/wheel bounce between 30-35 MPH but there’s a MK48 thread somewhere that talks about it. Anyways, it’s an awesome machine that gets a lot of double takes.

A special thanks to members 100dollarman (and his son) and M920 who were both very generous and helpful. They were instrumental in making the trip happen in the first place and in making it a success. I’ve only had limited contact with the members on Steel Soldiers but have had nothing but help and concern from those I’ve dealt with. I can’t thank Hundy and son and M920 enough for their help, expertise, and cell phone minutes – thanks guys for making this hobby that much more enjoyable.

Also, a shout out to my Dad who took a personal week off from his busy job to help me on the adventure. He has been by my side for each recovery (wife and God willing there’ll be a few more).
View attachment 519849View attachment 519850View attachment 519851View attachment 519853View attachment 519852
Very nice truck. I got to see it in person and was checkin it out. I wouldn't mind having a het someday.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot, that trailer is so big and burly, it comes equipped with a drive shaft!

Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks the pics!

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks