• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip in a HET, CA to MT.

PureMayhem

Does your friend live in Arlee? I am pretty sure I saw both the trailer and the HET when I was driving to Missoula from Kalispell a few weeks ago. I even commented about it in the MV's Spotted thread. I have my M923 at my place in Polson.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 520255
Here is one of the smaller fill ups..
WOW, it's bad enough to only get 3mpg, but you're paying 23% more than I am for the fuel. I guess 3.92/gal is cheap compared to Alaska fuel prices, but I'm only paying 3.17/gal and I'm complaining it should be lower to match the gasoline price drop.

You need to drop the MK trailer and pick up a fuel tanker and fill it up to haul to AK. rofl

turnkey

All I can say is WOW..with your also that is great.....Like the tow piece...Great work on a great trip...Next one should be more fun to as the Movie says North to Alk.

saddamsnightmare

March 27th, 2015.

Good luck with your HET on the trip north. You can only pray that fuel prices drop, otherwise you may want to send it by ferry up the Inland Passage....:-o

TreadLite

WOW, it's bad enough to only get 3mpg, but you're paying 23% more than I am for the fuel. I guess 3.92/gal is cheap compared to Alaska fuel prices, but I'm only paying 3.17/gal and I'm complaining it should be lower to match the gasoline price drop.

You need to drop the MK trailer and pick up a fuel tanker and fill it up to haul to AK. rofl

Yeah, expensive fuel bill for that trip but it bought great memories. Plus the HET is awesome and fun to drive. Believe me, I've spent more money way less important things.

I think that fuel stop was in Utah. Really wish diesel had dropped more...(so does my Visa card).

hethead

Awesome truck. I'm planning on getting one. Were there any issues with highway scales? Or were you able to just drive right by, since you're not a commercial operator. I plan to do some traveling and the highways would be nice due to the high overhead clearance those trucks need.

Thanks.

TreadLite

Awesome truck. I'm planning on getting one. Were there any issues with highway scales? Or were you able to just drive right by, since you're not a commercial operator. I plan to do some traveling and the highways would be nice due to the high overhead clearance those trucks need.

Thanks.
You'll love it if you get one (except for the fill ups). It's a great truck to drive and it'll keep your hands full on the highway. You're supposed to stop at the scales. Post some pics when you bring one home.

wilkusmcrecon

I have always wanted a HET since I first laid eyes on them and was excited when they started being surplused. The prices of the M1070’s kept dropping and dropping and I figured I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I decided to sell some other toys (this thread helped push me over the edge - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-a-HET-in-life-quot-M1070-Acquisition-thread) and I finally pulled the trigger in January and won a HET out of Ft. Irwin. It had been stored in SoCal for several months until I could make the trip down from Alaska to recover it. I debated between shipping and driving but finally decided on a 45 MPH road trip from California to a friend’s place in Montana. I was fine with the potential risks and costs of breakdowns, additional wear and tear, and the ever present risk of Swift trucks trying to mate with it.

The batteries in the truck were dead but once we got them charged, the truck fired right up and ran perfectly. The truck checked out and other than a couple low tires (even the CTIS worked), it was ready to roll. I even got lucky with the toolboxes and after we cut the locks off, found some treasures including a slave cable, a couple jacks and misc. tools.

Overall the trip went really smooth and the truck is surprisingly comfortable to drive. The trailer had a mysterious shake/wheel bounce between 30-35 MPH but there’s a MK48 thread somewhere that talks about it. Anyways, it’s an awesome machine that gets a lot of double takes.

A special thanks to members 100dollarman (and his son) and M920 who were both very generous and helpful. They were instrumental in making the trip happen in the first place and in making it a success. I’ve only had limited contact with the members on Steel Soldiers but have had nothing but help and concern from those I’ve dealt with. I can’t thank Hundy and son and M920 enough for their help, expertise, and cell phone minutes – thanks guys for making this hobby that much more enjoyable.

Also, a shout out to my Dad who took a personal week off from his busy job to help me on the adventure. He has been by my side for each recovery (wife and God willing there’ll be a few more).
View attachment 519849View attachment 519850View attachment 519851View attachment 519853View attachment 519852
So glad you made it home safe...Looking to recover a m923A2 from Cali. I decided to drive her home in May solo best way just live out of the her a few days. Those Military guys will be prepping the vehicle and hope all goes well. Take care every need help when you down this way let me know.

Chris Wilkinson

TreadLite

So glad you made it home safe...Looking to recover a m923A2 from Cali. I decided to drive her home in May solo best way just live out of the her a few days. Those Military guys will be prepping the vehicle and hope all goes well. Take care every need help when you down this way let me know.

Chris Wilkinson
Sounds like an awesome trip. Make sure to get a rewards card for all the fuel stops. What does it take to get through Canada? Post a couple pics of the expression on their face when you roll up to the border patrol.

71DeuceAK

I'm also planning on doing the same with my M923 I might be picking up, also a CA>AK recovery trip...just sleep in the bed for a week. Can't wait to see the border people freak out too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks