• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forward Operating Base In-a-Can

rustystud

SCORE ! I always like extra parts ! My motto is "you never know" . As in you will never know when you'll need that "thing-a-ma-jig" . I lost count of how many times I have had to rob a part off of a carb, or something else I have squirrelled away.

tim292stro

Graphic card expansion chassis came today, work's killing me so not a lot of time to "play" in the last 48 hours I've had 5 hours of sleep... I came home to tuck in my kids and relieve my wife for a bit, but then I have to go back to work for a few hours...

1204142006a.jpg
1204142006.jpg

This should fit on the same pull-out drawer the ToughBook dock will be spliced into - I got "the big one" in case I want to put in a huge graphics card. The ExpressCard 34/54 port only has one PCI-Express lane, so it won't likely have the bandwidth to play an Unreal/Cry-Engine 4 games, but that's not what this is for... Mostly I need more video output ports, this little guy will do (4x) 4K/UHD displays, and the dongles that plug in give me basically any output I want (HDMI, DVI/DVI-DL, DisplayPort), while sucking less than 50Watts - this is not intended as an endorsement of this specific product, and for full disclosure the company I work for makes the chip and designed the board, please read my disclaimer.

Also, the Hardigg for carrying the ToughBooks and VoIP phones (and probably the projectors) will arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

tim292stro

The other Hardigg case came today - here's an obligatory "box in the back of the truck" shot:
1205142027.jpg

This case is plenty large enough for all of the ToughBooks I want to include, and the VoIP phones I want to have available - I'll just add some cut and glued foam and it'll be good to go.
1205142240.jpg

Once the camp is set up, and the equipment is roughly in place, I'll put the empty case under the rack case to get it up to a "workstation" height for easier administration of the camp:
1205142248.jpg

This is just a mock-up with an ironing board in front of a chair :), but you should get the idea. Once the other hardware shows up I'll start taking pictures of the setup again. I should be able to get a kit for the rack case that turns one of the end covers into a chair (4 fold-out legs).

Last edited:

tim292stro

Well - I won an auction on e-place for a canopy (non-enclosed tent). If you refer back to the first post, picture #3, you'll see two 10'x10' canopies behind the truck with the shelter:

I won a 10x20 tan on black frame so-called commercial canopy ("heavy" trade show style) and I couldn't argue with the price - $80 shipped. Walmart had 10x10 canopies (tan on black) about year back for about $60... I didn't mean to win, I put in the minimum just to see if it would work and so it did.

Still waiting on the rack shelf to get racking on splicing the docking station to it. I'm getting the feeling that I will be modifying the ToughBook/Dock for the IT module to allow for more RF outputs when docked. Max-OEM is 2x, I want to do 6x: WiFi 3x, GPS, Cellular x2.

Last edited:

rustystud

Tim, by the time your done with all this you'll have enough tech and equipment to field a small mercenary army !

Disclaimer: Not that I'm saying that's your plan or anything ! You will have a "Way Cool Set-Up " though.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Small mercenary "army", yes that is the plan, as long as by "small mercenaries" we mean short uniformed people:

scout284.jpg (<-- random Google Image)

At least the adults will be comfortable (heat, coffee, light, coffee, flushing toilets, coffee, hot running water, coffee) - we can make the kids suffer through it like I did when I was in there.

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

rustystud

I wished my son would have joined the "Boy Scouts" . He just didn't want anything to do with the out-doors. Funny since my mother was a "den mother" and two of my brothers became "Eagle Scouts" .

tim292stro

To mark my territory, I bought few stencils from Dr. Evil Porkchop (THANKS!!) so I can mark the tents, cases, etc..:

1210142147.jpg

Of course when my wife saw them, she yelled: "Hail Hydra!" So it seems my wife agrees with RustyStud about having enough equipment to field a small army ("and it begins..."). At least she hasn't shut me down - yet? (dun dun DUN!!!!) :popcorn:

Last edited:

tim292stro

I wished my son would have joined the "Boy Scouts" . He just didn't want anything to do with the out-doors. Funny since my mother was a "den mother" and two of my brothers became "Eagle Scouts" .
Some times it skips a generation - my grandfather on my mom's side is an Eagle - my dad was a scout, but never made it to Eagle. I was the only one of three sons to make Eagle - IIRC my older brother only had paperwork left after having completed his service project (life happened for him, then he turned 18 ), my younger brother transferred to an Explorer outpost and lost steam. Only about 4-5% of scouts even make Eagle.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh I'd need a PLS just to carry the wooden deck for that - definitely out of the question for this build ;)

[EDIT:] Holy $#!+, I just looked at the Glamping.com site... >=$1,000/night/person?!?!? WTF? What's wrong with rich people? rofl[/EDIT]
"A fool and their money are soon parted" comes to mind.

Another Ahab

Used to be Sea Scouts (blue water sailing in wooden boats); never did that myself (or met anybody who did) but always liked the idea. Wonder if that's still a "thing"?

tim292stro

I helped a friend's dad move his 40' sloop (Jib and Mainsail) up the pacific coast from the S.F. Bay to the Puget Sound one summer in the early '00's - my Dad, a Navy man, taught me to sail ;-) I know Sea Scouts is still a thing, our local Sea Scout group here in the East (S.F.) Bay has three vessels at their disposal, and still do open water sailing.

Thread's drifting, let's pull it in... :hammer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks