• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

TedG

Well I did it again, I went looking for one thing and found another project...The last project was the M38 in the background and now this one is a HMMWV A2 version with 6.5 TD, 4 speed, and 242 t-case running gear. I promised my wife that this will not be a marathon assembly like the M38 but a nice winter project (today is 97F). Should be a fun build though and I will post pictures as I go. Enjoy and let me know if any of you have a good mental health counselor for OD disease!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Ted! Nice acquisition! Looks like a lot of the hard work has been done already. What do you have left besides assembly and paint?

TedG

Currently I am sorting out all the missing components, making a nsn list, ordering/finding the parts and then assembly. I really want to get the drive train and engine compartment complete so I can fire the engine. I will keep you all posted when it is operational. Also, CARC painting is now in my future!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're going to be buying a lot of parts from Austin Weber in TX. He sells on eGay under the name beltfed34.

TedG

Austin has received a lot of my cashola over the years...he has a great setup: go to site, click buy it now, click send money...lucky dog!

Believe it or not, there is not as much missing as one might think (a lot of boxes)! Also, I may add AC since it is in the mid 90's again! This also came with a special forces open top w/turret and I have to decide about mounting it, which means drilling holes. I am leaning towards a 4 door soft top for now, since I have a spare.

I keep you all posted on the progress.

dilvoy

Ted, that's a nice project. It looks like whoever you bought it from assembled a lot of good parts. Is that a new engine? It does still have the civi waste gate controller, which is vacuum operated, so you are going to have to find the military unit, which is not listed in the manuals or do like I did and get a Predator manually adjustible controller. I can't see the front area of the engine well enough to notice if you have the 200 amp alternator on it. They were having problems with the 100 and 200 amp alts throwing the serpantine belt off of the pulleys. There was too much rotating mass in the alt and they added a belt guide to the crankshaft and P/S pulleys and after that they added a one way pulley to the alt. The pulley has two bearings and a one way "thingie" inside which allowes the engine to drive the alt, but when the engine drops in rpm the alt pulley is allowed to freewheel so as to not pull on the belt and make it stretch and jump off a pulley. Do you have the larger radiator and oil cooler that go with that hood? There is also a different fan shroud that is used with that as well. George

TedG

Hi George,

Thanks for the infor for you are one the guru's!
IP is dated 10/03 and the engine was test fired around 2004. This is why I want to check it's operation prior to further build up. The engine currently has the 100 amp dual output alternator (need pulley) and I will have to check the idlers (some look beefier than others), etc. It does have power steering pump with remote reservoir. The serp belt is too short, etc. In the picture, the idlers are not yet mounted fore/aft of the alt. It does have the bigger cooling stack(s) and shroud. On Friday, I visit the po and get more parts and I will ask him more about it. I will problably email you for more input and help. I have not worked on this setup yet and even though I have the manuals...pictures and personal advice is much more usefull. Thanks and I will send you an email.

Attachments

superburban

Hey Ted,
Nice looking machine (LUCKY!). Where does one find a "project HMMWV"? I cant seem to find one that isnt allready restored (or perverted by some bling-bling seeking thug-wannabe). I found a stripped down 998 for $3500, but, alas, it has no paperwork with it. I am pretty leary to shell out any money on a truck that comes with no guarantee that it isn't stolen.

AMTAK

Very nice!! I am also working on an A2 setup. I got the hood parts and a brand new A2 rad with oil cooler. Looking for a wire harness, trans controller and fan shroud.

TedG

superburban,

All I can say is keep looking, asking around and don't give up. Also, when you are not looking, they fall into your lap, per se. Depending on how much money you want to spend, there are several good hmmwv's for sale, with titles. Start with David Uhrig's website armyjeeps.net and look at the 2 or 3 he has listed. My M38 is currently there...good luck with your search!

AMTAK,

Contact a guy on the g503 by the name of Ragman. He might have some of the parts you are looking for. He is in central OH. Or pm me and I will give you his contact information. This is my 3rd hmmwv and parts are plentiful once you have a few good contacts.

dilvoy

I have an NOS 100 Amp Alt 8 groove serpentine belt pulley. If you don't find one in the boxes of parts, maybe we can trade for something that you have extra that I could use. I aalso sent you a foto of the front of my engine so you could see the belt arrangement. you have a triangular plate near the alt that holds two pulleys and it may make for more belt contact area on the alternator than what I have.

TedG

Yes A1 hubs and I have to decide if I want to change them out to A2 for CTIS...what everyone's opinion?

George, I'll keep in touch. The alt pulley I have sets too far away from the alt which places it out of alignment from all the other pulleys/idlers. Shall investigate further...

blackdog

TedG said:
Yes A1 hubs and I have to decide if I want to change them out to A2 for CTIS...what everyone's opinion?

George, I'll keep in touch. The alt pulley I have sets too far away from the alt which places it out of alignment from all the other pulleys/idlers. Shall investigate further...
From what I've heard the CTIS is more trouble than it is worth.

Elwenil

Nice project. About the only way I would take a HMMWV to rebuild is if I could get one that was mostly complete but missing the drivetrain. I would have to erase any GM parts from the vehicle and go with a Mopar drivetrain. I wonder if there is room for a 6BT in there? Lol...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks