• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

tanhmmwv

Ted, is the fan clutch different from a 6.2 or na 6.5 to a TD?
Does your fan kick on every 1 minutes driving down the road on a cool day?
Is it very load too?

TedG

Ted, is the fan clutch different from a 6.2 or na 6.5 to a TD?
Does your fan kick on every 1 minutes driving down the road on a cool day?
Is it very load too?
WOW, this is my old build! I miss that truck and its capabilities!

The standard hmmwv fan clutch is the same for all engines (the geared drive is for later models and requires a LOT of mods). One change was a quick disconnect was added on the hose feeding the clutch itself. The cycling is when the sensor reaches 215f, it activates and deactivates around 205f. The time between cycles is engine temperature dependant. If your radiator is restricted (internally or externally or both) or the block is restricted, then it will cylce faster and perhaps for a longer period of time. Thermostats seem to be problematic as well. The best cooling upgrade one can do is to install the high flow water pump. It is reverse rotation, so changing to a serpentine belt setup is required. HMMWV's run hot.

tanhmmwv

Ok thanks Ted!! Really enjoyed following you build too. A friend of mine is having issues with the fan kicking on too often. Should the fan spin with the motor or should you be able to spin the fan by hand when the motor is off? His seems to be locked - cannot spin by hand when motor is off. But when driving... the fan definitly engages and is loud. Thanks again for your reply!

TedG

The fan clutch is normal engage when engine is off. Therefore it will not spin freely. If engine is running and you hear it cycle, then it is working. Another test is to disconnect the TDM while engine is running. This will activate the clutch and lock the fan on. The hose feeding the clutch will be pressurized as well.
Fan kick on too often requires cleaning/replacement of components one at a time to see which items is the problem. If engine block is full of crud, then a good flushing is required.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks