• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air stop light switch issue

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air stop light switch - NAPA replacement

Had bad luck with original military air stop light switches. They range in price from $45 upwards.

Checked with NAPA and purchased 036036 S14 stop light switch. It is an ugly white plastic contraption, but for $16 I am not looking back. Made two Prestolite connector cables with male connectors on one end and automotive ring terminals on the other. Mounted switch, connected the wires - stop lights work beautifully.

No alterations on the truck; if you want to go back to "original", you can do so without issues.

IMG-20141023-00571.jpgIMG-20141023-00570.jpg

Reason for replacement:

Two year old military switch broke (bakelite back). I had another new military switch sitting on the shelf in its original box as a spare for a couple of years. It is the all metal one (no bakelite back) with the 3/8 NPT thread. Turns out, it was defective (always closed) and not fixable. Cost me over an hour, so I will run the switch over with my truck.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Video please when you comitt switch murder.
I would say it needs to be taught a lesson.
Mine will soon follow

TsgtB

Are the plastic switches marked for polarity (-/+) ?
Or will it matter on a 2 wire switch..?
Also, there is not much clearance to the air pack mount, mine is horizontal. I seen Rustystud had a post where his switch faces down... did you have any clearance issues with the modern switch?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No clearance issues on my truck. The plastic switch is a bit smaller than the military one. If you have an issue, you can use an elbow. Polarity does not matter.

TsgtB

Thank You, and I guess it's still working fine or you would have said something.
I'll see if NAPA is even open tomorrow.

TsgtB

Thanks Rusty, I dont see the plastic one on NAPA anyway, but my local store does show to have the metal one for $28.
Trying to confirm its 3/8 and not 1/4... NPT.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rock auto is an online parts source. Most of the stuff I get from them has been 1/3 to 1/2 of retail stores like Napa or Orileys.

BEASTMASTER

when mine went I went to the truck shop and got an ordinary fits anything air stoplight switch. covered the connections with grease and it's been fine for the past 10 yrs.

TsgtB

From what the wifey is telling me... I've NEVER had brake lights before now. Only turn signals.
but then she get's the clutch and brake pedal confused some times??? (when being soldier B)
(she can drive a stick, so that's even more confusing...)

TsgtB

I cant give a proper answer, I know I was looking for voltage also, but I went by part number that had been used by someone else.
I "believe" my Napa part was 12 or 24 volt compatible.
I chose the part with lower air pressure requirement to open the switch, the M35A2 air systems are not as high pressure as a full air brake system trucks.

Midland Brake Products
PART #
MBI BE13250

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks