Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Recent Chenowth Acquisitions

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,633 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog734 View Post
    The rear axle, which is splined to match the hub
    Attachment 531572

What did you do to get the axle shaft out of the trailing arm? I assume a shop press? Looks like the axle shaft is pressed into a sealed bearing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

Corporal
    Thanks

Pretty sure he still owns them and runs the squad buggy in Baja races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private
    Thanks

Tech DPV I would love to talk to you and help you out with these vehicles I own 4 Chenowth

Hello I would like to know more about these vehicles and can probably help you out quite a bit. Please contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog734 View Post
    Actually, there has been quite a bit of progress. I finally have the 3-Seat vehicle completely stripped down to the bare chassis and have been able to get a better look of what needs to be repaired.

Attachment 531559

The support tubing from the seats back needs to be replaced. While the torsion adjustment housing will likely need to be cut out and replaced as well, the tubes that make up the remainder of the housing is in remarkably good shape otherwise.

So this is what I've found as needing repair:

Support tubing under the seats and gas tank.
    Attachment 531560

Right rear frame horn - supports the transaxle and engine. While this one looks the gnarliest, both horns will need to be replaced because of the rust forward of the torsion bar
    Attachment 531561
    Attachment 531562 I would like to talk to you about these vehicles please contact me. Thx

Torsion Adjustment Housing
    Attachment 531563

So that's just the framework that needs to be done before I can start building on it again. Most everything that I've pulled off of it can be restored, or I can identify and easily replace. The areas that had me the most concerned was the rotating platform for the gunners seat and the rear hubs. The gunners platform would need to be completely fab'd if I messed it up - and I really thought I was going to have to destroy it to get it off. Fortunately a lot of penetrating fluid and heat and we got it coaxed off. The rear hubs are from Summers Brothers and are no longer made. Both of the hubs have some fractures at the edges, but I think they can be used anyway. I contacted Summers Brothers yesterday and they said that if I sent back what I had, they could recast them for me - but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

The few other problem areas are shown below.

Not one, but two broken torsion bars
    Attachment 531564

Summers Brothers Rear Hub
    Attachment 531569

The rear axle, which is splined to match the hub
    Attachment 531572

And then is secured by this big nut - about 2.5" across
    Attachment 531571

The Spring Plates have thinned out a little due to corrosion. Given the load they're under I figure it would be smarter (and safer) to replace them. They're cut down Sway-Away swingaxle spring plates, which isn't an uncommon mod on the race buggies
    Attachment 531568

This is the other area that concerns me. The front transaxle mount (top) is flat plate and is easily recreated. The rear mount though (bottom) isn't something that you can just go out and buy and will need to be fabbed up. I was given the spec sheet for it from an old Chenowth employee, but that means I still need to get it made - which likely won't come cheap.
    Attachment 531567

I never did get the transaxle separated from the engine, which ticks me off to no end. Given that it was a stroked Type4 2 liter from FAT performance, I'm going to send it to them to see what they can do to bring it back to life. Since they're the pros, I'll send the whole unit over to them and they can take it apart, as much as I don't want to ship the extra weight and size of a transaxle.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I can turn a wrench, but have no fab skills so I'm going to have to rely on my recently retired uncle to help me out with that - it's just going to take time. I'm trying to make it happen in a fairly expeditious manner. I'd really like to have it up and running again by Memorial Day, 2015, which I know is extremely ambitious, but I've got to at least set some goals.

Private
    Thanks

I apologize I am new to this forum. I would like to talk to you more about the vehicles please contact me I have four of their buggies. Thank you

Thanks

Oops forgot to check for following page in thread before replying. Sorry guys.

Moderator, please delete this goof if at all possible.

Original:
    "Update on project please! These are really niche vehicles, would love to see how they turned out!
    Last edited by MoparGuy00; 10-04-2018 at 18:05.
    Kaleb

"I swear I was born about 6 decades late..."

Amateur historian
    Automobile enthusiast

Born a Gearhead
    Carolina born and raised
    Texas dreamin'
    Aspiring Leatherneck
    AR10 admirer
    "Well it's a Humvee, its a 5/4 ton truck. Don't have a clue what I'd do with it, but still super friggin' cool..."
    "Every vehicle has a story to tell."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2