• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Lug Nut Torque

Artisan

5 Ton Lug Nut Torque

Finally got a replacement XL tire and I moved all my wheels
around so the Michelin XL tire Chevron Lug pattern is pointing
forward on both sides. I looked up the torque for the lug nuts
for singles, 14:00R20 tires and it is;

Tighten forty stud nuts 450-500 lb-ft

As taken from PDF Pg 18 in TM 9-2320-272-24-2

jw4x4

I have half of my lug nuts torqued exactly to specs. The other half are my best guess, based on the feel of the correctly torqued ones. I have yet to see a left handed torque wrench that registers 450 ft/lbs. I have a right handed one that's on loan from a very good friend.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have half of my lug nuts torqued exactly to specs. The other half are my best guess, based on the feel of the correctly torqued ones. I have yet to see a left handed torque wrench that registers 450 ft/lbs. I have a right handed one that's on loan from a very good friend.
Jerry I have one that goes to 600 right and left

BigDawg41

Has anyone tried one of these style torque multipliers on their MV? I was about to order one soon and was wondering if it works in both directions so a lower poundage torque wrench could be used since I dont have a large impact or air yet.

Attachments

ke5eua

Has anyone tried one of these style torque multipliers on their MV? I was about to order one soon and was wondering if it works in both directions so a lower poundage torque wrench could be used since I dont have a large impact or air yet.
I have one and used it when I had to change a tire before I got the impacts. It works well and there is a little trick to let you get to the right area of torque spec if you don't have a torque wrench available.

I did the math on mine and I think I would only have had to set my wreck at 8.5 ft lbs to be at 450 with the multiplier.

It works both directions, just don't put an impact on it, it will damage the gears inside.

The one I got came with the bud socket, and three different size sockets, speed extension, and case.

The speed extension isn't strong, just used to loosen or tighten by hand. I bent mine.

Ford Mechanic

Got one, works frigging awesome. A must have! But be careful if you can snap the studs if your going the wrong direction or get carried away tightening them. You can break the most stubborn lugs loose with almost no effort.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there are a couple threads on those tools.

brasco

I'm now looking a buying a torque multiplying wrench but it looks like a tight fit to use one of these on the rear tires of a M923A2. I've read that these have been used on 2 1/2 tons and 5 tons but I haven't seen M939A2s. Has anyone used these on a M939A2 series truck and can you recommend a model number that is known to fit on M939A2 trucks... I see several options online.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one, works frigging awesome. A must have! But be careful if you can snap the studs if your going the wrong direction or get carried away tightening them. You can break the most stubborn lugs loose with almost no effort.
Second that, I have had one for two years, its a blessing, duals or super singles, works like a charm. I even painted it OD green so it work even better on MVs.

brasco

Second that, I have had one for two years, its a blessing, duals or super singles, works like a charm. I even painted it OD green so it work even better on MVs.
Thanks for the feedback...have you used these on the rear wheels of a M939A2 truck? Without having one to try, it looks like it would be a close fit to the hub of one of these truck and may even cant the tool sideways in use... I just wanted to get first hand account on one of these before buying one...it looks like a less expensive option than using an electric or air impact wrench.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback...have you used these on the rear wheels of a M939A2 truck? Without having one to try, it looks like it would be a close fit to the hub of one of these truck and may even cant the tool sideways in use... I just wanted to get first hand account on one of these before buying one...it looks like a less expensive option than using an electric or air impact wrench.
I have used it on the rear wheels of M931A1, same clearance. Look it up on the web, several videos show all types of big wheels being worked. Its made for trucks, all kinds.

Ford Mechanic

I've got a 923a2, I'll try it on the rear tomarrow, I can't say I've had to use it on the rear yet, but I used it alot front and rear on my m35a2

brasco

I've got a 923a2, I'll try it on the rear tomarrow, I can't say I've had to use it on the rear yet, but I used it alot front and rear on my m35a2
If you can check the fit on the rear of the M923A2 that would be great.... I'm looking at a unit with a 1:58 gear ratio with 4800 N-m (3540 Ft-lb) max output - I'm guessing that should do it. The main body looks like it is 3.0" - 3.5" in diameter which should fit OK.

View attachment 548305

TsgtB

I got one of the 1:78 ratio, I'm sure it will come in handy if I blow a tire in the middle of nowhere....
its HEAVY, but the metal seems cheap...

Ford Mechanic

I think mine has the bigger body than that one, I'll check it and fit on the rear and post a pic when I get home from work.

If you can check the fit on the rear of the M923A2 that would be great.... I'm looking at a unit with a 1:58 gear ratio with 4800 N-m (3540 Ft-lb) max output - I'm guessing that should do it. The main body looks like it is 3.0" - 3.5" in diameter which should fit OK.

View attachment 548305

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks