• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle hitch questions

Pinz25086

I have purchased a nice M101A2 to tow behind my 710M. The lunnett will fit into the Swiss pintle but it does bind when in a hard turn or backing up. I was thinking that a replacement pintle from Buyers might bolt onto the 4 mounting holes but have not measured yet. Has anyone checked this out? Will I have issues (if it fits) with the pintle now being fixed and not the rotating style? Would a better idea be to install a receiver hitch and buy one of the cast pintle slide in units? I do not want to grind down the lunnett to fit.

Thanks for any input,
Wayne

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your lunette eye I.D. is 3" and section is 1 5/8".The US pintle hitch has 2" so there is enough "play" before binding would occur.
I can imagine that the Swiss pintle has a smaller opening.
Maybe you could exchange it for the corresponding US pintle hook.
Look at the pic for dimensions.
G.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Normally the Swiss hook is also made to fit to SAE J 847 tow eyes. But it fits also to the 40 mm eye of the European previous standard. I'm not shure weather the bolt pattern fits to the US standad or to the European standard. The difference in hight is rouphly 10 mm. Anyway. you can use a trunable US pintle hook like from the CUCV series with an additional back plate. You just have to use your round file to make the bolt patern fit.

DSD277

Wayne
It depends on the tailcone that is on your Pinz, whether a US pintle will fit or not. Eariler casted tailcones have only 4 mounting holes, that match only the European standard. Later models have 6 holes that will match the both patterns.
With the fixed lunette, I'd recommend a rotating pintle. One from a military Landrover is rotating, or fixed .
I've made literally hundreds of hitch receivers that fit the tailcones of the 710s and 712s. If you have several trailers to pull, you might consider going that way.
Dave Dunn

OG

I had the same problem. I found that Swiss pintle hook, which I lubed just in case will tow M101 (I have A1) just fine on normal roads. However the best solution for Pinzgauer would be to get SAF-Holland articulating (rotating) pintle hook, model # PHT-60-AOS-8. SAF Holland made some for military and I was lucky to get one on Ebay for $100, but it is worth it. The four holes are on the 3.38"x1.75" pattern, the same as what Pinz has. Unfortunately SAF-Holland part does not have a damper like original swiss one has, but
at least it can swivel like Swiss one does... Based on my research that was the best I could find.

OG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks