• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2-Lost Brake Pressure Suddenly-Ideas/Help

DeuceN

Deuce M35A2-Lost Brake Pressure-Ideas/Help!

Hello everyone, I got problems folks. I was warming up my Deuce to take my neighbors & kids for a ride on Halloween, but just before I left, the low air pressure buzzer came on. The air pressure gauge is reading almost nada. Even though I do build up some psi,(the alarm stops momentarily after a few min of running, and I have some psi at the bleed-off vale in the cab), I have No Brakes at the peddle! I've tried ruining the engine till the alarm stops to build up psi, then shutting eng off while I run around the brake lines listening for an air leak to no avail. I cant find an obvious leak. I promised the Vet's from the Purple Heart Club I'd take them for a ride in the Veterans Parade so I GOT to get it fixed, but I'm on a shoe-string-budget. If you have any insights, tips, tricks, suggestions, past experiences, Quick Fix's, ANYTHING that might shed light on the problem, I would be more than grateful.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the fluid level in the M/C and the bleed the system. All covered in the Tech Manual.

Your airpack may need a rebuild.

Do you have an air compressor? You can connect it to the glad hand to air up the tanks while you listen for leaks. Many times it the the drain valve at the tanks.

Do you have a free copy of the Tech Manuals? We have them here on the site.

Last edited:

DeuceN

I have the original Operators Manual, does that differ from the Tech manual? What does rebuilding the airpac entail? I'm not sure what u mean by &/or what the M/C, or the glad handle is

DeuceN

Where r the backing plates located? I just bought my deuce about a month ago, not familiar with it yet, both my deuce and me r a work in progress lol. PS: i just looked up the Dunning–Kruger effect Gimpy, I have to agree

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The backing plates are what the brakes mount to. If you look at the back of your wheels from under the truck, you might see one or two of them wet. That is where I would start.

Actually, if the deuce is new to you, I'd pull the hubs and check EVERYTHING in there. Wheel cyls, pads, bearings etc. Its WAY cheaper to fix at home than it is on the side of the road. One bearing can cost up to $120.

DeuceN

I have poured over the tech manuals, but I'm not sure where to check/add brake fluid. From what I can figure, its the master cylinder directly underneath the driver floor board, but I'm not sure. Is that even correct?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have poured over the tech manuals, but I'm not sure where to check/add brake fluid. From what I can figure, its the master cylinder directly underneath the driver floor board, but I'm not sure. Is that even correct?
yes

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an inspection hole, right in front of the driver's seat. when you go there, clean every thing, top of MC & floor boards, etc., before you take the top off - to avoid contamination. If low, use DOT 5, brake fluid (there should be a sticker/tag, saying that, on the dash). Its different then regular (& not compatable) with DOT 3 brake fluid. Did you find wet backing plates?

Brakes are serious - your lucky the Kids weren't with you in traffic, when they went out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks