• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Front Winch Mount

Skinny

Maybe Glocklover can comment on this but a hydro winch is going to suck considering you have power steering and hydroboost brakes. The only way that winch is going to pull is that your foot is off the brakes and you aren't trying to steer. Most of the time I'm winching from a stuck situation I need at least one or both of these while pulling cable. I liked my hydraulic winch but you should be aware of these setbacks.

Glockfan

Maybe Glocklover can comment on this but a hydro winch is going to suck considering you have power steering and hydroboost brakes. The only way that winch is going to pull is that your foot is off the brakes and you aren't trying to steer. Most of the time I'm winching from a stuck situation I need at least one or both of these while pulling cable. I liked my hydraulic winch but you should be aware of these setbacks.
The same setup is on HMMWVs and they seem to work just fine.

Skinny

I understand that but having the winch work fine without your foot on the brake or trying to turn your wheel up over a rock or rut is a whole other story. Can your setup do this? I've never put one on a K30 but I'm thinking that no matter what pump you use to feed it, the system will be overwhelmed. Lots of hydro winches use separate pumps for this reason.

Glockfan

I have 32 up armored 1100 series HMMWV's currently on my yard that are configured exactly the same as my truck. The difference is, they weigh about 13k pounds versus my 5900 pound truck. Sure, they have a 6.5 liter versus my 6.2 but the power steering pumps are pretty much the same. I didn't rig my winch to work with my power steering pump. I hooked it up exactly according to instructions from Mile Marker and quite frankly it works like a charm and I can steer and brake without trouble... YMMV

rustystud

I have 32 up armored 1100 series HMMWV's currently on my yard that are configured exactly the same as my truck. The difference is, they weigh about 13k pounds versus my 5900 pound truck. Sure, they have a 6.5 liter versus my 6.2 but the power steering pumps are pretty much the same. I didn't rig my winch to work with my power steering pump. I hooked it up exactly according to instructions from Mile Marker and quite frankly it works like a charm and I can steer and brake without trouble... YMMV
I think you will find the steering pumps in those HMMWV's are higher capacity then your stock pump. I have a K30 dually and the pump can get over-whelmed when steering hard and braking at the same time. I even went with a high capacity pump just because of this and at times it will still kill the steering to apply the brakes. I'm with Skinny on this, you should go with a dedicated pump for the winch if you want to utilize the full capacity of that winch. It is pretty easy to determine the size of pump needed. You find out what each component ( brakes, steering, winch) needs for full capacity use (GPM gallons per minute) . Then get the pump with that capacity.

rustystud

I just did a little research on this. The "mile marker" 12,000 winch needs a pump with a minimum of 3.5 GPM at 1500PSI . So if you have a standard power steering pump on your M1031 you will have a 3.5 GPM at 1450PSI pump installed. This is just enough for the winch itself, no power steering or braking. Of course I have never used the brakes will winching but I have used the steering to help direct the truck will winching. If I was to go with the "mile marker" winch I would install a dedicated pump just for the winch.

Skinny

You guys make an informed decision and do what you want... My setup works just fine. I am pleased.
Maybe I'm missing something here. We are curious exactly what your setup is. The fact is a hydroboost truck with power steering along with a hydro winch simply will not work at all unless you are not pressing on the brake pedal or having steering inputs while trying to pull cable. There is no way around it. Can you shed some light on something we are missing? If you have a system on your truck that works in this scenario, you can share it with us. Otherwise I think you just got called out on something that simply doesn't work. I don't understand the disconnect here...

rustystud

Maybe I'm missing something here. We are curious exactly what your setup is. The fact is a hydroboost truck with power steering along with a hydro winch simply will not work at all unless you are not pressing on the brake pedal or having steering inputs while trying to pull cable. There is no way around it. Can you shed some light on something we are missing? If you have a system on your truck that works in this scenario, you can share it with us. Otherwise I think you just got called out on something that simply doesn't work. I don't understand the disconnect here...
He will be able to use the winch as long as he doesn't use anything else. If he turns the steering wheel while winching it will steal power from the winch and vice/versa with the steering. Since the steering doesn't use any "power" unless the piston is moving and the same with the brakes he will be OK. I myself just like to be able to steer will winching myself out of a sticky situation.

Skinny

That's exactly what I'm getting at. Any time I've used a winch for recreational use and not moving stuff around, I needed to either hold the truck using the brakes or try and bump a tire over an obstacle while pulling it forward. I agree, my truck has a hard enough time with power steering assist when you decided to jab the brake pedal hard enough. You can feel it in the wheel when you call for the extra brake assist. I can't imagine how it would work in a winch situation trying to use all three to varying degrees. I'm not saying they are bad winches, I loved my 12k hydro MM but none of this was discussed in the thread so far.

Glockfan

Maybe I will look at upping my power steering pump pressure "just in case". I previously unsubscribed to this thread because I didn't see any point in trying to convince you that my setup works just fine. Rarely have I had to winch myself out of anything but I will tell you that the winch will drag my truck just fine at engine idle speeds. But, YMMV... I will say it again. Do what you want with your ****e...

rustystud

Maybe I will look at upping my power steering pump pressure "just in case". I previously unsubscribed to this thread because I didn't see any point in trying to convince you that my setup works just fine. Rarely have I had to winch myself out of anything but I will tell you that the winch will drag my truck just fine at engine idle speeds. But, YMMV... I will say it again. Do what you want with your ****e...
Hey I believed you !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks