• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Front Winch Mount

dmilkman589

My apology for never giving you guys updates, I've been away allot lately and haven't been able to work on the mount. My cucv was in Albany and I've been in buffalo so I needed to be sure it fit before I did all the finish welding. Bringing my Cucv to buffalo this weekend so I can finish building the mount.

dmilkman589

Before Paint.jpgIMG_1075.jpgIMG_1076.jpgIMG_1071.jpgIMG_1073.jpg IMG_1077.jpgI think next time I would use larger tubing, It looks small sitting on the truck... Ill get some more photos and Videos soon. It got too dark out.

Last edited:

richingalveston

It looks really good. Only two changes I see fit. Use a little more box tubing or bar before the tube starts so the shackles can be installed just in front of the pins holding the mount to the shackle tubes. And a little larger diameter tube primarily just for looks but wont hurt strength.

excellent job.

Rich

Drock

I like this ,it really looks good. I just think why go through all the trouble of making it removable if it doesn't ALSO fit the rear? It would make it twice as useful yah know?

dmilkman589

Tested today, Im trying to get Youtube videos up now. I tryed to break the mount, could not. Even with heavy side loading. There was deflection but always went right back when load was taken off. Ill post links as soon as the videos are done loading. O and I made it removable because I dont like the idea of leaving a 400 dollar winch on the front of my truck. I beat the snot out of this thing in the woods, take it to concerts, boating, between theft and the elements wearing on it I like being able to keep in the trunk untill its needed. Also I do have adapters to make mount fit rear as well.

K9Vic

Suggestion for future videos, please hold your phone in landscape/horizontally with the home button on your right side. Your videos will turn out better and can see everything.

Landscape_v_Portrait.jpg

cyberpigue

I like it fine, but front and rear use is important. I have a front and rear receiver and use mine on both. It doesn't *look* as intentionally CUCV specific as your's but it is functional.

dblcamaros

I believe the reason there is a difference between the front and rear shackles is for when air lifting the vehicle (to help stabilization during flight). If I emember Air Assault schooling correctly (probably not it has been 30 years or so, lol).

Greg, I was unaware of the difference but you are correct. I just measured mine and it is 31 3/4 outside to outside on the front and 32 3/4 outside to outside on the rear. I just assumed they were the same. The inside of my mount is 32 inches which gives just a little play when you and your strong friend are mounting it. I would prefer that it could be a front or rear mount but I am stuck with what I have at this point. Based on how close the extensions are in distance apart from the front to rear I am not sure how you would accomplish the ability to be a front/rear mount. You possibly could use a tube 2X as wide as the stock extensions. Then use a shim of sorts to take up the difference based on if it was on the front or rear.

I think the concept is a very good one and it should be explored. Right now the biggest change I would have made to the mount I have would be to make the rounded tab extend out farther so that it was easier to remount the clevises and have them swing free. Mine is a little tight and the clevises are forced to the outside of the mount since they hit the plate that is running at an angle toward the fairlead.

I would love to see what you come up with Greg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks