• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Economical turn signal flasher repair option

Ajax MD

Ok, the job is done.

I had to set my heat gun on "F--- You!" and just let it blast the aluminum housing for quite a while in order to dig out the rest of the potting and the dead circuit board. (I forgot to try the acetone trick). It is impossible to remove the potting from the circuit board without melting or destroying the circuit board in order to inspect it for failure... at least, on the module that I had. Like I said, the stuff never really gets soft, it just becomes "breakable" and you can dig it out in large chunks.

As others have done, I simply soldered the wires of the Grote module to the 3 wires that went to the old circuit board. I put heat shrink on them. Then I simply tucked the Grote module into the aluminum housing and bolted it back into place in the M998. In my military module, the wires were yellow, yellow with black stripe and a black wire. Not very helpful (not sure if they were all manufactured that way). I used the info in this thread and my multimeter to ensure that I soldered the wires to the Grote in the proper order.

Everything works perfectly. I even connected up my XM381 trailer convertor and hooked up my camper and that all works correctly, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks