• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

JEB

- What's the name of that mighty bodaciously fine Bassett Hound (your avatar pic)?!
Thank you for the nice comment on the Jeep.

His official registered name is...
CH Topsfield-Sanchu Roller Coaster of Cloverhill (the dogs in the litter were all named after amusement park rides).
But he is just known as "Coaster", we got him at three when he retired from the show ring.
The photo was taken when he was older, hence the white face.
He is our fourth Basset and is a super dog. He is now 11 1/2.

Another Ahab

Thank you for the nice comment on the Jeep.
But he is just known as "Coaster", we got him at three when he retired from the show ring.
We had a fine Bassett once in the family, too. Love them headstrong hounds!

We made the inexperienced knuckleheaded mistake of paying up for obedience training. For a hound. Obedience.

It was worth it just to learn what a waste of time that is for anything with hound in them. And, well, now we know better!

Old Coaster is one mighty fine Bassett. I bet his voice is Golden.

Cheers!!

DeetFreek

I realized I hadn't posted anything about the MVPA convention last month. I got both of my A1s up there, with the help of some good friends, we also got to do a shakedown run on the truck doing the work. It passed with flying colors.

20230613_175231.jpg20230613_175946.jpg20230617_080036.jpg

I snagged up a few parts over the three day fun-fest. Got to meet a FB friend of three years in person, a few vendors, John and some of the crew from Midwest Military and Derrick Kulcsar from General Taylor's were great to chat with. As well as a few other A1 owners, we all talked at different points about our Jeeps, it was a good experience.

20230618_082340.jpg

Some really cool vehicles made the trek to Des Moines, and I'm glad I got to be a part of it all. There was talk of it having a good variety of vehicles compared to the last few years. I can't vouch for that not having attended any of them.

20230616_155409.jpg
Timothy Slawson's USAF themed A1.

20230616_155445.jpg
Dan Riewer and Donnie Conz's respectively.

20230617_080139.jpg20230617_080218.jpg
And Frank Disney's A1C and Davy Crockett A1 were amazing.

Gastrap

I snagged up a few parts over the three day fun-fest. Got to meet a FB friend of three years in person, a few vendors, John and some of the crew from Midwest Military and Derrick Kulcsar from General Taylor's were great to chat with. As well as a few other A1 owners, we all talked at different points about our Jeeps, it was a good experience.
It was a great show! Looks like you may have found the same reflector stash I got into, they're even made in Iowa.

Last edited:

Gastrap

I know the gentleman selling them was from Iowa as well. It was stuff from his fathers collection as I recall him telling it.
Yes, he has quite a collection of vehicles, but said he wasn't really into it as heavy as his father as far as displaying them. Said he had recently sold a WLA, I have to get one someday!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deet I made the MVPA Convention at Oakland C.A. back in 2016. I saw one off (experimental) Jeeps that I couldn't believe existed. Also I love the picture of the USAF Jeep, and the one behind it that looks like it's set up for the 1/4 mile. Back in the 50s & 60s my Father raced in the NHRA, and a couple friends of his Ed Lenarth & Roger Wolford built and raced an M38A1 Funny Jeep powered by a fuel burning 392 Chrysler Hemi named the "Secret Weapon". It never failed to draw a crowd in the pits or at the starting line.
efc8.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Deet I made the MVPA Convention at Oakland C.A. back in 2016. I saw one off (experimental) Jeeps that I couldn't believe existed. Also love the picture of the USAF Jeep, and the one behind it that looks like it's set up for the 1/4 mile
A great post, Tracer!

Like, what were some of those "one-offs", any description (or better: maybe pics)?!!!

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realized I hadn't posted anything about the MVPA convention last month. I got both of my A1s up there, with the help of some good friends, we also got to do a shakedown run on the truck doing the work. It passed with flying colors.

View attachment 901577View attachment 901578View attachment 901579

View attachment 901580

Some really cool vehicles made the trek to Des Moines, and I'm glad I got to be a part of it all. There was talk of it having a good variety of vehicles compared to the last few years. I can't vouch for that not having attended any of them.

View attachment 901581
Timothy Slawson's USAF themed A1.

View attachment 901582
Dan Riewer and Donnie Conz's respectively.

View attachment 901583View attachment 901584
And Frank Disney's A1C and Davy Crockett A1 were amazing.
Awesome pics, one of the best things about an event/show are the displays that people put up!

DeetFreek

A great post, Tracer!

Like, what were some of those "one-offs", any description (or better: maybe pics)?!!!
John Deere got in the mix in the late 30's, I'd never run across anything like these. MK I & MK II versions of an armored tractor.
20230617_080526.jpg20230617_080449.jpg20230617_080610.jpg
MK II
20230617_080541.jpg20230617_080558.jpg

This was an interesting snow tractor.
20230616_155844.jpg

Here's the tug
FB_IMG_1689788396808.jpg

And this Cushman and hand cart, owner was in his 80's, and rode in on it.
20230617_080051.jpg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deet that's probably the same 3/4 Ton Jeep that was at the MVPA Convention in Okland in 2016. I don't know how many there are in existence, but I'm sure you could count them on one hand.

JEB

Far be it for me to criticize Willys, but the Jeep just doesn't look stout enough for that long dual axle rear body.
The Dodge 1 1/2 ton WC-62 & 63/G-507, looks more up to the task.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Far be it for me to criticize Willys, but the Jeep just doesn't look stout enough for that long dual axle rear body.
The Dodge 1 1/2 ton WC-62 & 63/G-507, looks more up to the task.
Willys MT Tug and MB Jeep - YouTube Here's a YouTube video on the Willys MT Tug. Very Interesting Jeep, only 16 made, and 7 survive.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Over the weekend my wife wanted to take the jeep out as it was a nice evening.
I ran out to check fluids and get it ready. I also installed the new temperature gauge which FINALLY arrived from KW. (they were back-ordered for over a year).
The temperature gauge worked great and the family had a great time riding around the neighborhood. It's nice to finally be able to see my engine temps.
The jeep still isn't running as smoothly as I would like but eh...it runs good enough for us to have a fun time.
m38a18 temp gauge .JPG

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Deere got in the mix in the late 30's, I'd never run across anything like these. MK I & MK II versions of an armored tractor.
The prototype john deere armored tractor (narrow front) was built upon a 1940 Model A .. Perhaps the "1930's" reference is because Model A's first came out in 1934, and were later re-designed in 1939 with new features and a new look that lasted until 1952 (end of production).. During 1940, a production tractor was taken off the assembly line and fitted with armor . Field testing commenced in early 1941 but was not successful due to the narrow front "wheelbarrowing" in muddy terrain due to the armor weight up front.. The tractor was further modified with a wide front , however the prototype and the project was reportedly scrapped .. Poor visibility for all crew positions and cost were factors in the decision, as well as the military did not accept the concept. Ones you see out in the world are apparently reproductions. There is a chapter on the armored tractor and tests in "Yesterday's Tractor's" by JR Hobbs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks