• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Maverick1701

Over the weekend my neighborhood had a little parade and trunk-or-treat for the kiddos.
My family and I decorated up the M38A1 and brought it out for the event. I wired up an inverter to power some orange string lights, attached my blue-tooth tailgate speaker, and added some general Halloween decorations.
I also took this time to properly install the new back-seat and temporarily attached the sport bar (so we could use it as a mounting point for the decorations)

Even with my misfire and one tired battery, it did great w/out any issues. We were the only vintage vehicle there which was cool.
IMG_8721.jpg
IMG_8733.jpg

IMG_8734.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I finally got my 52 M38cdn licensed and spent some time today giving it a little exercise!
It’s been one of those projects that began about 15 years ago, then spent about a dozen years in storage until I was finally able to finish the job.
sure feels good to have it on the road!
View attachment 909948View attachment 909949
That is a SHARP looking vehicle!

Maverick1701

Earlier this week I spotted a Ramsey PTO winch (MX200R) with mounting cradle on marketplace just outside of Dallas.
I immediately I shot a buddy of mine some $$$ and asked him to scoop it for me (which he did).
I'm picking it up this weekend from my buddy in DFW (we live in Lubbock).

Last year I had originally picked up a King 100 PTO winch and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to design a mount for it...and failed.
When I saw this Ramsey had the mounting cradle included I jumped at it as it would save me a TON of work and time.

After we home sunday I'll get it cleaned up and see what it needs lubricated/cleaned, and post some better pics.
Once I get it mounted, I can get my PTO installed (Koenig 51) and then I can work on my PTO shaft routing.

winch 3.jpgwinch 2.jpg400051137_1564112847328964_2195580978646258451_n.jpg2023-11-15 21_38_15-Window.jpg

JEB

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, it is getting to be the time of year when the topless Jeep stays inside for a couple of months.

I have added a new accessory to it, A small Motorola portable radio a VHF/ FM, AN/PRC-59 or 61, aka a "lunchbox" or Handie Talkie...circa 1958-61 (sources differ).

Just the thing for my USAF marked Jeep. I figured he Air Force could have used them for local base or flightline use in lieu of installing the larger Army-style tactical radios in vehicles.
Anyway, it goes well with my flight line flag and dash decal listing control tower light signals.

In September I was asked to display the Jeep at two events:
A local university, my alma mater, had me park it alongside a very serious looking armoured HMMWV (which has the same dash light switch!) at their annual Military appreciation football game, (1st photo..there was a tree nearby, its shade accounts for the weird two-tone effect).

The week before, the local Air Force base asked me to display it at the annual AF Birthday Ball downtown. It was parked at the entrance of the convention center, sorry about the dark image, it was located in the breezeway between the convention center and the Opera House/performing arts center.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Finished assembling my T90 with a sealed input bearing, and installed it with a new clutch disk and pressure plate. Took it for a test drive today, so much smoother without gear oil all over the clutch!

Beautiful machine, Gastrap!!

Our paternal grandfather served as Brigadier General during WWII (ETO).

He retired to a cattle farm outside DC, after the war. We would later visit as kids.

The property had a resident Willys. Likely from his command during the war (but no one to ask now for any confirmation).

Wonder how he pulled that off? Pretty sure that there would be something "unsat" in the regulations about that...BUT...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Beautiful machine, Gastrap!!

Our paternal grandfather served as Brigadier General during WWII (ETO).

He retired to a cattle farm outside DC, after the war. We would later visit as kids.

The property had a resident Willys. Likely from his command during the war (but no one to ask now for any confirmation).

Wonder how he pulled that off? Pretty sure that there would be something "unsat" in the regulations about that...BUT...
You know @Another Ahab , back in the day the general could have paid for his jeep.
I know that back when RH Bouligny bought jeeps and such, $500 was BIG BUCKS for a jeep similar to that...

Another Ahab

You know @Another Ahab , back in the day the general could have paid for his jeep.
I know that back when RH Bouligny bought jeeps and such, $500 was BIG BUCKS for a jeep similar to that...
The hoot was the umbrella stand that our grandparents had just inside the front door of the farmhouse:

- It was the brass casing of an artillery shell (like 5"-6" shell, and about 36" tall!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks