• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holding off on pulling engine, gonna try a couple of tests first! We just have that Milky oil everywhere, oil, intake..... Might just have been some loose head bolts, gonna flush the engine and see what we get first!

Jeeagle

Holding off on pulling engine, gonna try a couple of tests first! We just have that Milky oil everywhere, oil, intake..... Might just have been some loose head bolts, gonna flush the engine and see what we get first!

I suggest pulling the head! I had the same issue with a CJ2A and found the head gasket was getting hit by the piston causing it to deform letting coolant into the cylinder. Looking at other gaskets I found not many with same issue but may have been a bad run of them causing this.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest pulling the head! I had the same issue with a CJ2A and found the head gasket was getting hit by the piston causing it to deform letting coolant into the cylinder. Looking at other gaskets I found not many with same issue but may have been a bad run of them causing this.
Thank you, we'll take a look at that a little closer!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the head gasket, ran into two stripped head bolts, bummer, still have white oil, but my guess is, I'll have to run several flushes to get all that crap out of the engine. One strange issues is the filler neck vent tube is actually sucking up a good amount of the milky oil from the filler tube into the intake? It might be slowing down now, but I've never seen that before? First run at high RPM was maybe a quart, Oil is not filling up? So we are still hoping we solved the leak, the oil seems to have darkened a bit on the first flush, we now just have to flush several more times! And hopefully it will stop sucking up the oil.

I have a Multifuel M38! It runs good on that crap, it just smokes to high heaven!

Any thoughts that I'm missing?

Jeeagle

Changed the head gasket, ran into two stripped head bolts, bummer, still have white oil, but my guess is, I'll have to run several flushes to get all that crap out of the engine. One strange issues is the filler neck vent tube is actually sucking up a good amount of the milky oil from the filler tube into the intake? It might be slowing down now, but I've never seen that before? First run at high RPM was maybe a quart, Oil is not filling up? So we are still hoping we solved the leak, the oil seems to have darkened a bit on the first flush, we now just have to flush several more times! And hopefully it will stop sucking up the oil.

I have a Multifuel M38! It runs good on that crap, it just smokes to high heaven!

Any thoughts that I'm missing?

The past two jeep I have used/seen run in cold weather have had slight "milky" residue (key word here) near the oil fill/air intake pipe deal. During the warmer months this would clear up. Long drives would also have same effect. Far as the oil I had to do two oil changes before I got clean oil and even then I still had soem residue stuff left over. After a hour drive though it was good to go!

The past two jeep I have used/seen run in cold weather have had slight "milky" residue (key word here) near the oil fill/air intake pipe deal. During the warmer months this would clear up. Long drives would also have same effect. Far as the oil I had to do two oil changes before I got clean oil and even then I still had soem residue stuff left over. After a hour drive though it was good to go!
I've had this as well and was worried that there was water in the oil. But it's never used any antifreeze!

Amer-team

Concur with the thoughts on running it and getting it up to temp for a bit to vaporize the condensation. If situation persists or you have another blown head gasket, take the head to the machine shop and have them mill the mating surface. Sometimes even if the head is good and all is right, you can sometimes come up with a bit of condensation in those engines. I have thought, but don't know for sure, that if you run them a short distance and don't get up to temp, that condensation can happen.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad news for us! Antifreeze still coming into cylinder. So we need to have it fix, or find a used or rebuild, I know they sell rebuilds, but gotta save some big money for that! :-(

Amer-team

How do you know antifreeze is in the cylinder? Did you recheck head torque? Sorry it has been years since I did one of those, so don't remember the numbers. Did you have the head checked or milled? It didn't used to be that uncommon to have a little warping of the head. Make sure you have a good quality head gasket as well. it does help if you think you have the cylinder that is the culprit. You might also look for any deformation or pitting around that cylinder on the block, that may not have filled in when you put the new gasket on.
Am trying to save you from having to pull the whole thing and have it magnafluxed. There may even be a pinhole from corrosion in the block. years ago I met a man at a friends shop, that rebuilt heads. he told me, that changing out antifreeze every two or three years is good idea as the chemicals start to turn acidic and will eat a block or head from the inside out. He said it was more of a problem with aluminum heads, but it seemed like good advice. Good luck on this.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we took the head off we did notice pitting around the suspected cylinder, we did a new head gasket after cleaning the best we could get, we checked the torque twice, after a could of flushes we noticed it was not get ting better. We pulled plugs and #3 was spitting out antifreeze! It won't stop, level in radiator barely goes down, but way too much spitting out of that plug hole! So we will have to get both head and block looked at!

Would like to get a lower priced running engine so we can enjoy the jeep for now and work on this engine over time and money!

This engine is not original to, there is no serial number on the machined tab, unless it was machined off? Don't know if that ever happens!

Amer-team

You might try some JB weld in the pitted area, it is just a few bucks if it works. I would also go for checking the head for true. Finding a running flat head is getting to be scarce. You are probably looking at 2000 plus or minus to take that engine to the rebuild shop. They will tank it, and magna flux. But when you are done, you will have a great engine for a long time. I haven't studied the numbers on the tab thing. Haven not really gotten into the casting numbers either. I think I have blocks with MB, GPW, and MC. But you may have a government rebuild. The engine in my 42 GPW has both MB and GPW parts and apparently came out of rebuild in 1949 and there is a mark on the data plate to that effect. Engine uses a bit of oil, but overall runs well.

Another Ahab

Nothing today, but last night I installed leaf springs, then rear axle, shock absorber hardware, and shock absorbers. Only took one trip to Ace, too.
That there is a serious block of work for one night; you were really logging.

Just curious:

- How many cups of coffee had you had yesterday before you started working on the jeep?

coffee.jpg

Bravo2Uniform

I heard that. Some dew, tunes, and nobody pestering you, and you can get a lot done.
Been there done that got the dirty jeans to show lol
Today's caffeine and Valentine's candy fueled excitement was the realization that a half off the frame restore (just the rear area on, front around engine off) was not going to produce the quality I want, I took off the rest of the body. I may never get this restore done if I keep going in reverse!

Another Ahab

Today's caffeine and Valentine's candy fueled excitement was the realization that a half off the frame restore (just the rear area on, front around engine off) was not going to produce the quality I want, I took off the rest of the body. I may never get this restore done if I keep going in reverse!
Maybe so, but when it's all finished it'll sure be nice. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks