• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Amer-team

Depends on your time frame, but mid Vietnam they started using vinyl stick on for the numbers and lettering. I have a 53 M38A1, but it has some of the VN upgrades such as vinyl seats and vinyl lettering on the hood. The stars were all painted on.

Amer-team

Ahab, how did you get the brass stencils to work on rounded surface such as the hood of an M38A1? Of did you only stencil on the flats?

Another Ahab

Ahab, how did you get the brass stencils to work on rounded surface such as the hood of an M38A1? Of did you only stencil on the flats?
I wasn't part of the motor pool, I was a carpenter (Seabees); and we used them for identification on material crates and that kind of thing.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used to set the brass stencil up, then trace it onto a somewhat stiff folder/cardboard/oil board stock, then cut the letters out with a razor blade and then apply to truck, some times needing an extra hand or two or masking tape to hold an end. You still had issues if the roundness was extreme but most of the areas were not that bad.

Advantage here, you could use it over and over and not have to clean them, if you had many trucks to do, we sometimes made several sets to let the paint dry so we would not get sloppy. When done and stencil was toast from a lot of use throw it away and make a new one!

Not the way that the brass stencils were suppose to be used I guess, but I hated cleaning them if someone put paint all over them and then let them dry!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on your time frame, but mid Vietnam they started using vinyl stick on for the numbers and lettering. I have a 53 M38A1, but it has some of the VN upgrades such as vinyl seats and vinyl lettering on the hood. The stars were all painted on.
Yes and also who you were, I did hundreds of vehicles over my career and I never used vinyl, I always preferred the painted look. Still do, but instead of a spray can, I think I'll try a new way I read here on SS is to use a micro roller, might help with over spray! Although, if we didn't have some over spray, it just didn't look right some how!! :)

Another Ahab

Not the way that the brass stencils were suppose to be used I guess, but I hated cleaning them if someone put paint all over them and then let them dry!
Yeah, the paint build-up would start to mess up their use, and nobody ahead of you would EVER clean them up, but you could drop them all into a closed container of gasoline and then scrape them clean (+/-) the next day with a slotted-screwdriver. Slotted-screwdriver not designed for that of course, but s*** it: if it works, go ahead; we we're Seabees.

Today I found a rattle that my jeep has had since I put the engine in. Turns out it was the crankshaft pulley. Apparently I forgot to put the nut on the crankshaft or I put it on and didn't put any lock tite on it. So I found one off of an M38 that had an air drop mishap(chutes didn't open) So my jeep is fixed up and no more rattle!

Bravo2Uniform

After fighting with the previous owner's conversion to 12V, I bit the bullet and purchased the items needed to convert back to 24V. Serious setback in money and time, but on the whole, I would never been satisfied with 12V and knowing that was not original. That and I can't understand a thing the previous owner did electrically.

Another Ahab

After fighting with the previous owner's conversion to 12V, I bit the bullet and purchased the items needed to convert back to 24V. Serious setback in money and time, but on the whole, I would never been satisfied with 12V and knowing that was not original. That and I can't understand a thing the previous owner did electrically.
I live in a house like that:

- the previous owner was a retiree who apparently decided overnight that he was qualified as a Contractor

His remodeling "innovations" everywhere are a total nightmare. aua

Bravo2Uniform

I live in a house like that:

- the previous owner was a retiree who apparently decided overnight that he was qualified as a Contractor

His remodeling "innovations" everywhere are a total nightmare. aua
Yep, that's about the best way to have a fire and lose all of you material possessions - better left to professionals.

Another Ahab

Yep, that's about the best way to have a fire and lose all of you material possessions - better left to professionals.
Burning down this clown house would be the best solution to all the funky construction in it:

- And then free of all worldly possessions, Mama and me could then be One and call ourselves totally Enlightened!

Ommmm

enlightened.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks