• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AS-3916 Masts - where are they??

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for an antenna to go on top of the AS-3916? Or a mast to attach a sugar-scoop to? 3916's were mainly used in vehicles, not a fixed station, which do have (relatively) tall masts.

papakb

The radiating element itself is just a piece of stainless rod, the problem is that most of the 3916s don't come with the clamping nut that holds it to the matching unit. If someone can come up with some of them or figure out a replacement we'd be set. As you say, there seem to be plenty of the matching units (bases) out there.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clamping nut is called the Jamb Nut. And even in the Army, we had a **** of a time keeping track of them. Every good commo guy in a tracked vehicle unit had a stash of them hidden away.

m38inmaine

I had the same issue and came up with this solution. Purchase a 109" stainless CB whip, cut it to about 65", drill/tap the jamb nut to 3/8-24(please verify). If your jamb nut is missing I recall a 1/2" fine thread bolt will fit, find a short bolt that will fit and drill/tap the center of the bolt 3/8-24. I roughed up the whip with some sand paper and painted it black with Krylon fusion. Next I installed a small military antenna tip on top where it was cut off. Now thread the whip into the base, done. With the threaded base you are less likely to loose it. I have good swr at 51Mhz which is the 6m ham frequency commonly used.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my bases in from Evil Dr Porkchop. Really nice with the critical jamb nut. The hole in the nut for the radiating element looks to be .190, so I should be able to use any of the inexpensive CB whips on ebay for the element like Mark mentioned. Thanks everyone for the input.

formica17

I know this is an old thread, but in the search for the "jam nut," I ended up caving and calling Rami directly. In the Army Supply System, the nomenclature for the item is "Collet, Special", and it's NSN is 5985-01-435-8079. Army pays roughly $4 per.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks