• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup a sales person told me there should be no problem getting a title now just how true that statement is I have no clue
How about the states that don't require a title if they are a certain age.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with an "offroad use only" restriction, they would find their way onto the road.
If they ever do release them, that could turn into a problem. The government sells them as "off-road use only" and then they start showing up going down the hwy.

Kind of like when they cut M151s in half. When the government found out people were welding the halves back together, they promptly took care of the problem. You've heard of the Jeep in a crate? The last M151s were sold on a pallet.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't think any company sells new civilian humvees anymore so I don't see who would object to civilian transfer. But you never know. Until someone buys one and has title in hand you never really know what will happen.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup a sales person told me there should be no problem getting a title now just how true that statement is I have no clue
How about the states that don't require a title if they are a certain age.
I would not accept any sales person's legal/law advice, even outside of this discussion.

feldmarshal

I'm not sure about civilian sales. We have been looking at several for a couple of years now as a govt. FD buy and they are available to FD and SO. The ones we looked at were very poor condition. we finally got a m1078, i dont know if they are on civ. auction

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The last time I was up at Redstone they had over 100 HUMVEES in two lots that had to be demilled. Demilled to the point where you even had the shear the tires and rims.
I had a long talk with the GL site manager and he told me that those were the last two lots that would be demilled. He said they were changing the codes due to massive complaints about fraud, waste and abuse concerning cutting up valuable vehicles that could be sold for big money.
According to him they had received several Congressional Investigation complaints from individuals or companies that were livid over the fact that these vehicles had to be destroyed instead of being sold intact.
I asked when they would start selling them and he said as soon as all the alphabet soup agencies all got on the same sheet of music and came up with a way to have oversight on selling them to the public and surplus outlets.
I'm not holding my breath.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have to hold my breath, I wouldn't want one anyway. I'd take a good ol' M151 over a HUMVEE any day. I fit in one of those better than the truck that's twice as big.

2deuce

It really makes me mad when I see HMMWV's in the hands of IS and our own government would rather destroy them than sell them to it's citizens that paid for them in the 1st place.

todds112

I don't get it either. Why are they OK to give to local municipalities, but not the general public? Is it ok to have a fireman or LEO crash and die in one, but not Joe Citizen? If the excuse is they are not safe to be on the roads, then they should not be on the roads...period. At least sell the darn things to recoup the tax payer investment. With the market the way it is, they might even make a profit!:shock:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't get it either. Why are they OK to give to local municipalities, but not the general public? Is it ok to have a fireman or LEO crash and die in one, but not Joe Citizen? If the excuse is they are not safe to be on the roads, then they should not be on the roads...period. At least sell the darn things to recoup the tax payer investment. With the market the way it is, they might even make a profit!:shock:
It's been covered here many many times. It was AM General that strong arm'ed the DOD into changing the demil code on them so it wouldn't impact civilian sales of the "Hummer".

This thread is for the discussion of the possible, or not possible auction of them. Let's keep on topic.

Ford Mechanic

I'm pretty sure the DMV inspector said it was illegal to sell a vehicle in NC without title. This was last year when I bought my 5ton without one. I ended up getting a bonded title for it without too many problems. And they opened a investigation on the original seller. I had to give a signed statement and every thing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, this topic is for the discussion of HMMWV's possibly being up for sale. Not titling, registration, insurance, exc.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About time to close this thread just like all the others. People just can't stay on topic.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is hard to have a discussion with no facts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've reported my info(FACT).

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hey, is this the thread where I can find out about insuring a 5 ton or is it the one about making trucks zombie proof?

Oh, that's right, it's about HMMWV pote tially being sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks