• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade troop seats for Deuce

MDSA

Way back in the spring, a poplar snapped in the wind and landed on the BACK of the Deuce, ruining the already rotting troop seats, but leaving the cab unscathed. Been looking for fiberglass troop seats ever since, no luck. Did not want to paint all the wood with as many coats as it was going to take to make new wooden seats. Finally settled on that composite "board" from home depot. However, since those boards only come in widths of 5 1/4", I went with three boards instead of six at 3". I like it, but I know it's not original.

I also got two stands made for my wife's new swing. Found the seat at a garage sale for $25. The carriage bolts and wood for the stands cost $108. Not really complaining, just commenting. Very good, very productive Saturday.

Attachments

Woodsplinter

Have you tried sitting on those troop seats? With that wide spacing if they're not sagging now they will be. I considered using them in my woodworking business but discovered they don't have much strength. They also fade badly because of an ingredient called "wood flour". (Google "Trex lawsuits")

I hope you have better luck with it. Let us know how it holds up.

MDSA

Well at least I am warned. Really the seats only get used now during a parade, so hopefully no trouble. The kids used to ride in back a lot, but now that they are grown, they want to drive. I'll keep you posted.

Jakob

I had planned to do something similar, but using pressure treated decking lumber. I was going to by the 5/4x6 and do the exact same thing. It's good to see someone else who has done something similar. Did you keep the troop seats functional? I have a similar setup in the bed as well, except I have dual fuel tanks side by side where you have toolboxes.

MDSA

Yes, they function. The two seat slats are cut to the rear of the vertical wooden slat near the tool box, so they will lay down.

MDSA

Holding up fine. They are up 95% of the time since they only get sat on during a couple of parades. The paint is also doing fine. Pretty sure I only put one coat. No problems.

Day Tripper

When I got my deuce, the troop seats were all rotted or majorly cracked. I tried doing what you did but could not find the right boards for it. I decided to bite the bullet and buy new fiberglass boards and bolts. I did not have to paint them and I figured they would last longer and would not have repaint them every 4 to 5 years.
What you have looks good to me, a much cheaper alternative than what I did.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad they are holding up...................necessity is the mother of all invention. Would never know, if someone didn't try it and the outcome, good or bad would be a mystery. Thanks

Do they weigh a "ton" though?

dmetalmiki

One of our gang used that material, and it is holding up ok after 6 years. And it does get used in all weathers, albeit with the canopy on most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks