• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT-524 Radio Installation & Setup...

ems4ty

Okay, Just got my RT-524 from PvtJarhead today. Very nice fellow by the way. Radio looks good to me, just got a broken handle on the left side. Not sure if it was like that already, or if it was due to shipping damage. Box looks good though. But thats beside the point.

Anyways, I have the tray already mounted under the passender seat and the power cables connected. I'll be installing the radio into the tray tonight and connecting the two cables from the antenna. Still waiting on the headset to show up - sometime next week I hope.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to test and make sure this works properly? Someone mentioned that the antenna needs to be matched to the radio. Not really sure on how to check this. Just want to make sure that I don't fry this rather expensive piece of equipment. Is there a TM or something like that?

NF6X, if you are reading this, if I remember correctly you know quite a bit about these, can you help?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If everything's working and the cables are in good order, the antenna matching unit will automatically set itself to the right band. The knob on the bottom of the antenna matching unit only turns one way, and there's a ratcheting solenoid mechanism that steps it until it gets to the right band. So, as you tune around on the RT-524, the antenna tuning unit should occasionally click one or more times. Anywhere from a single click to a BRRRAAAAAPPPP, depending on the frequency excursion and direction.

If everything's working, it'll be possible to pick up the audio from TV channels 2, 3 and 4 with the unit when tuned to the correct frequencies (I don't remember them off the top of my head. DON'T TRANSMIT THERE! (Duh!). In fact, without the proper licensing, don't transmit at all unless the antenna is disconnected and a suitable dummy load is connected in its place.

You might need to bring your truck by to play radio sometime... ;)

Hmm, this thread needs more pictures. Here's an RT-524 and R-442 installed in my HMMWV.

Attachments

Cdub

sure would be nice to have one of those RT-524's in the cab of my M925.......did they ever have
such a radio in the M939 series five tons....??

Thanks,

C'dub

Armada

C'dub, I suppose you could mount an rt-524 in just about anything you wanted to.
I've got another platform and base from a cucv that I am going to modify and mount in my M35. In essence, it will be a radio shelf mounted to the back of the cab between the 2 springer seats.
You guys will love these radios! They are very clear and powerful. The bad part is that you don't get to use them much unless you are in a convoy with other guys that have them. You can listen to TV on them though... :)

Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all the TM's for these. Contact me and I can e-mail the PDF manuals. They are large files.

Ron

Cdub

Looks like the RT-524 would be my best bet. I did see many of them for sale at Gilbert and even more of the self tuning antennas. Sad thing is that the stock mounting brackets would use up one of the two passenger spaces on the two man bench seat.

C'dub

Attachments

Cdub

rboltz said:
I have all the TM's for these. Contact me and I can e-mail the PDF manuals. They are large files.

Ron
Hi Ron,

thanks for taking the time to send the PDF files.......I sure have my reading cut out for me....

Thanks a Bunch.......!!

C'dub

Cdub

Will the m-80 or the H-250 handset mic both work with the RT-254.......which one is better........I kinda like the H-250....

Thanks,

C'dub

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those 5 ton mounts shake themselves apart after a few 100 miles. My guys bolted the SINCGARS mount to the side of the base of the pass seat. CECOM told us not to do it, but we told them the mount they provided sucks, and when they redid it, to let us know.. When I left, they were still there... :)

Cdub

emmado22 said:
Those 5 ton mounts shake themselves apart after a few 100 miles. My guys bolted the SINCGARS mount to the side of the base of the pass seat. CECOM told us not to do it, but we told them the mount they provided sucks, and when they redid it, to let us know.. When I left, they were still there... :)
Hi Mark,

Can you go into more detail of how the guys mounted it to the side of the base of the pass. seat.........??

Thanks,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks